Bantry Town Station 1950's

Rate this topic

bantree

JHB Have taken photos of the same piece of timber at various stages of painting and weathering,all based on Martyn Welch's book

1 is obvious! 2 is painted with Sleeper Grime (in this case Railmatch) 3 is top coat added  (Revell 64) but add your chosen colour!

4 is after rubbing with a carbon fibre brush 5 is after dry brushing and rubbing in with finger (Humbrol 64 Grey pus a touch of Humbrol 24 Yellow)

6 and 7 after weathering with powders (Greys and Dust colours-just add gradually and not too much) you will know when it looks right.

8 is an experiment -wood painted as per the book (mix of Humbrol  64,110,29 plus a touch of 33 and 53) After dry brush sparingly

with Sleeper Grime.Hope this is useful.

DSCF2209.JPG

DSCF2211.JPG

DSCF2213.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Latest pics of Bantry loco Shed.Back to the drawing board for the door hinges-they just were not strong enough.

Have fixed the doors in the open position and added a couple of clothing items and a notice on the door.(the shed doors will mainly

be open anyway when the locos take water)

Small lean to shed also added.Some small details needed to finish but nearly complete.

DSCF2214.JPG

DSCF2215.JPG

DSCF2216.JPG

DSCF2217.JPG

DSCF2218.JPG

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, bantree said:

Latest pics of Bantry loco Shed.Back to the drawing board for the door hinges-they just were not strong enough.

Have fixed the doors in the open position and added a couple of clothing items and a notice on the door.(the shed doors will mainly

be open anyway when the locos take water)

Small lean to shed also added.Some small details needed to finish but nearly complete.

DSCF2214.JPG

That's a most impressive master piece of modelling. The subtle finishes are so realistic.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 3

Thanks again for the kind comments folks.

Broithe- Yes it will be at Sleaford exhibition on June 2nd!Hopefully we will have some more scenic work completed.

Next project started is the Cattle Dock-could do with some good pics of this and also the large goods shed that was at the pier end of Bantry station.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 5 weeks later...

Stop Press!!

Following discussions at our club night on Wednesday we have now been allocated enough space to erect three of our  4ft x 2ft boards

(including the pier) at Sleaford Exhibition on Sat 2nd June.

We hope to have a restricted service available and all of the buildings complete or part complete will be on display.

Hope this is of interest

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, hello, it's been a while, but worth the wait.

Will it be raining on the model? Pretty wet on all three of my visits. 

Remember a layout seen at a show, years ago, where it was made to look wet by liberal use of gloss varnish. Set in the valley of the River Puddle in Dorset, it was called 'Piddling Down'...

Scenic guru Tony Hill reckons WD40 can work well too, though not sure I'd try it without some serious experimentation!

3 hours ago, Broithe said:

I did come across a Welsh one, with glowering skies, rather than the usual fluffy clouds on a blue background.

400638577_Railex15013.thumb.JPG.df72069a95539841d3f3e61dcf6d26de.JPG

196924897_Railex15012.thumb.JPG.3d240920914bc3b7ca56b94a6c066aca.JPG

West Cork brings back memories of family holidays as a teenager and there seldom seemed to be a wet day, but Wales is another story 🙄

I will never forget my 1st Summer holiday in North Wales in 1980, I arrived at Blaenau Ffestiniog Old Station http://www.2d53.co.uk/blaenauffestiniog/Old Station.htm intending to catch the bus to the temporary Festiniog terminus at Tanygrisiau https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tanygrisiau_departure_ME.jpg  nothing I had experienced in the West Cork could have prepared me for Blaenau on a wet day. Spent a lot of time in the area down the years but never experienced that sheer intensity of rain on that 1st day. The rest of the week was dry and sunny exploring the narrow gauge lines by train the highlight at the time was a journey on the Welshpool which appeared to have more in common with the Irish than Welsh narrow gauge lines, the train along the Cambrian main line was in a smartly turned out 3 car cross country DMU with curtains on the windows in contrast to the rather spartan 2 cars sets used on the Coast and Conway Valley lines. T

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Next up we have Bantry cattle dock. As you can see it is slightly rundown but still operational. All we had to go on for this model was a small photo in Colm Creedon's book vol 3

The lone cow was left over from the last train. Apparently he only had a pig class ticket.!

DSCF2266.JPG

DSCF2269.JPG

DSCF2270.JPG

DSCF2271.JPG

DSCF2273.JPG

• Like 2
  • WOW! 1

Here are some photos of the Model of Bantry  Oil Depot. Again we had very little to go on but an article in IRRS Journal 193 on Bantry Station Fire gives some important

details of tanks etc.

The model has been built on a separate board for insertion in to the main layout, hence the bolts. We have used Knightwing components for the tanks, Wills sheet for the bund walls, and Ten Commandments

Security Fence Posts.

DSCF2275.JPG

DSCF2277.JPG

DSCF2280.JPG

DSCF2282.JPG

DSCF2283.JPG

DSCF2284.JPG

• Like 9

Hi JHB

Basically Followed Martyn Welch's method for creating concrete in his book on weathering.

I actually found the method for corrugated asbestos produced the best effect.

The post themselves are square plastic section painted with a mix of Humbrol Natural Wood (110) and Grey (64) (or Concrete 95) with some  stippled in talc.

You might have to test first before you get the colour that looks right for you - its the first time I have tried it and it certainly works

Once dry you could add weathering in various dirty grey/brown mixes.

Hoe this helps John

Thanks for the kind comments Mick as always-its the support I get from you and everybody  at the  club and IRM that helps make it worthwhile.

• Like 1