Bantry Town Station 1950's

Rate this topic

bantree

Bantree,

The photograph shows a CIE 2600 Series Railcar (DMU) to those in the UK. Bodywork - Park Royal - Chassis and engines AEC of Southall, London. The exhaust system has been altered, if my eyes are seeing properly, so that the exhaust gases are being emitted to the atmosphere via the vertical exhaust pipes to the right of the railcar. The original railcars exhausted at ground level thus, the exhaust re-enter the coach when trains were stationary The Bus is a CIE P Class Leyland OPS Tiger.

Two photos up, same type of railcar.

No other type of railcar ever ran on the line, toy than an occasional foray of the ugly Bullied design which ran with them, and of which there were mercifully few. This makes accurate modelling simple, as from their introduction (1953 to this line, I think) they formed virtually 100% of passenger trains into Bantry, the goods being "Bandon Tanks". On an occasional day off for maintenance, the railcar was substituted by (usually) an ex-GSWR 2.4.2T tank loco. A "Bandon Tank" might have deputised the odd time. While I've no evidence of it happening, I'm sure it probably did.

Coaching stock is important for accuracy, and presents the biggest challenge, in the form of elderly GSWR and CBSCR stock. Bredins and Park Royals made occasional visits, but really only in later years, with PRs appearing sometimes as railcar intermediates.

The oft-shown pics of the famous IRRS St Patrick's Day special has a steam-hauled train of then brand new laminates posing on the viaduct, but such carriage stock on steam train was certainly not typical - if it ever happened at all in normal service.

Thus, if accuracy is to prevail, a three car AEC set (a Bredin being suitable as an intermediate) or a steam hauled train of a bogie third, maybe a six-wheel first, and a six-wheel brake third would be right.

Most bogies in the period modelled were GSWR in origin, with at least two old, and very basic, Bandon coaches which were short wheelbase bogies. Most six - wheelers by that stage were actually ex MGWR, though I think I'm right in saying there remained at least one CBSCR one.

None of these carriages are much like anything convertible or repaintable from British prototypes, and the railcars, while pure Southhall mechanically, were also unlikely British railcars.

Thus, for passenger trains, either serious kit and scratch building, or serious compromise, is necessary.

Edited by jhb171achill

• 1 month later...

Latest building.

Now building another loco shed for Bantry-this time with open shed doors,also about to start Cattle Pens. Have also just finished building the Victory Snack Bar from MRJ No 257.

I know its not a Bandon building but I liked the look of this so much that I had to build it!.It will make a cameo appearance on Bantry. Hear are some pics.

DSCF2160.JPG

DSCF2151.JPG

DSCF2150.JPG

• Like 3
  • WOW! 1

• 4 weeks later...

First pics of new Engine Shed for Bantry-we have one already but this new build has open doors to enable locos

to run in.Should have thought of this before!

Still some way to go but the pics give some idea of progress.DSCF2166.thumb.JPG.f8ed02d77439de936fc4e1ac76b61773.JPG

DSCF2166.JPG

DSCF2168.JPG

DSCF2170.JPG

DSCF2172.JPG

First pics of new Engine Shed for Bantry-we have one already but this new build has open doors to enable locos

to run in.Should have thought of this before!

Still some way to go but the pics give some idea of progress.DSCF2166.thumb.JPG.f8ed02d77439de936fc4e1ac76b61773.JPG

By the way the ex GER J15 is on loan from Stratford for photo purposes

• Like 4

Just now, bantree said:

Hi Jim

Next years Exhibition is on June 2nd at St George's Academy, Sleaford as last year 10am to 4pm(-will try and paint a parking space in for you!)

Excellent - the one in the shade, under the tree, if it's sunny again - ta.

It's in the diary here...

The loco fits in very well.... while J15s never got anywhere near Bantry, the weathered finish to the paintwork on the shed and the (correct CIE grey!) loco finish look just right for 1950s CIE.

A Bandon tank next - I know you've one on the way - now that'll be a sight to behold. The SSM ex-MGWR "J16" 0.6.0T will of course also fit well into a West Cork layout, as will any amount of (filthy!) "C" class diesels!

• 3 weeks later...