Bantry Town Station 1950's

Rate this topic

bantree

Many thanks for kind comments every one. JHB-I found the Gaelic script by searching Google and found a site for Microsoft with a script  called Bunchlo GC .

Purely by guesswork I selected this as it looked correct for Bantry-it then appeared in my Excel spreadsheet list of fonts-how I achieved this I do not know

as I am not that clever with modern technology!

Have attached a couple more pics as I have now weathered the snack bar.hope I have not overdone it.

DSCF2187.JPG

DSCF2189.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

It tried to give me the option to "open in a spreadsheet"....

?????????????

7 hours ago, bantree said:

Have attached a couple more pics as I have now weathered the snack bar.hope I have not overdone it.

In truth, Bantree, you can never weather anything too much. Pavements, fenceposts, buildings, sheds, track, ground surfaces, locos and rolling stock in REAL life are ALWAYS weathered. Tha building looks fantastic.

Look at any layout that strikes you as especially realistic scenery-wise, or in respect of the trains running, and I'll guarantee you that weathering has been liberally applied to everything.

For those aspiring to accuracy, it's actually a much underrated aspect of our hobby, I think. 

Edited by jhb171achill

20 hours ago, bantree said:

Many thanks for kind comments every one. JHB-I found the Gaelic script by searching Google and found a site for Microsoft with a script  called Bunchlo GC .

Purely by guesswork I selected this as it looked correct for Bantry-it then appeared in my Excel spreadsheet list of fonts-how I achieved this I do not know

as I am not that clever with modern technology!

DSCF2187.JPG

DSCF2189.JPG

Fabulous and by pure co-incidence remarkably like the little shop that used to open at Mountshannon beach swimming area on Lough Derg until just a few years ago.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks very much all.

Broithe-The doors should clear the track.I am debating at the moment how to attach them!

I may fix them in the open position as we have to remove all the buildings when we transport the layout.

Smoke above will be added when I weather the shed.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, bantree said:

Bantry Engine Shed. Latest photos of progress.Doors not yet fitted also water filler hose.

Some weathering to be done also ladders,tank filler pipe and small lean to corrugated shed on side. 

D16 on loan from Stratford shed!!

DSCF2191.JPG

DSCF2193.JPG

DSCF2195.JPG

DSCF2196.JPG

Super building -  just need an Irish loco now to complete the scene! Great project.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

A stunning building, the water in the open tank is the icing on the cake for me. 

Paul

5 minutes ago, seanrail said:

Indeed PaulC. Water looks realistic on the mounted water tower.

I would be very careful to pick it up level, just in case.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

The model making is perfect, the painting and weathering equally toned to perfection and the little details just make this an exquisite build. Far superior to any resin made example in my opinion. 

Will you be modelling the turntable in front of the shed at some point?

Paul

Many thanks again for replies

GNRi1959-Great idea for the turntable-will chat to Mick84c at Club tomorrow night

JHB and GNRi1959 The tank is made from Wills Vari Girder parts glued to a Plastikard base.

It is then primed with Halfords Grey Primer and then sprayed with Humbrol Tank Grey Acrylic (67)

Then it is weathered to what ever condition you require.

The water is a piece of clear Bayer 60 thou plastic sheet painted underneath with a mix of AK Interactive Slimy Grime Dark 

and Streaking Grime.It is then glued to four pieces of Evergreen Square Plastic (One at each corner) at what ever depth you need.

The surface is then coated with 2 to 3 coats of Micro Kristal Klear (Others are available!).Leave 24 hrs approx between coats.

The number of coats may vary depending on personal taste.You will know when its right because it will look right!

The water control device is made from odd bits from the spares box.

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely stunning work Bantree. The weathered look and battered bottoms to those doors is just brilliant. As for those hinges, a fine piece of detail most of us would probably overlook. What method did you use for them?

Paul

jhb Thanks

Doors are made  from strips of hardwood,cut to length,held with double sided Sellotape  and stuck together with wood glue

Once complete they are painted with Sleeper Grime paint and left to dry.Next coat (in my case) is CIE green ( Revell 364)

When dry i distress with a carbon fibre brush so some of the grime shows through.Then weather with various shades of grey and black weathering powders.

Sometimes I also dry brush with a mix of Humbrol Grey 64 and a touch of Yellow 24 (sparingly)

I think the extra effect has been helped by some of the Sellotape left on the wood! I did rub it down but some has apparently stayed

on(to good results!)Hope this helps

Sheer artistry. Older green paints tended to show a yellowy tint when weathered, as the yellow pigment they used lasted better than the blue. The little yellowish tints you have included perfectly illustrate paintwork that is well overdue a repaint = absolutely prototypically for the time. The danger in West Cork and other places seemed to be that once they DID get around to repainting it, closure was imminent!