Railwayiana Auction, Birr, May 10th, 2017.

Rate this topic

Broithe

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the heads up, just taking a wee look now, but one thing that stood out is that this is never going to reach that price, it's only a wagon plate.

https://www.purcellauctioneers.ie/catalogue/lots/B42444733AFE140079E425020F95E93E279B370085824DEC45E7FB93AF0C74DF/81B29AB6FA187A02A829C1899B734425/irelands-largest-railwayana-auction-lot-51/?d

Auctioneers are a bit clueless; something painted on steel described as 'enamel', wagon plates as 'loco number plates', one loco plate appears to have been photographed and described upside down...

Market here not big enough for dedicated railwayiana auction houses. Might mean a few bargains when it comes to dropping the hammer

Lots of little treasures there. And can bid online as well.

I'd like to know the how the "90" loco plate is up for auction.

I remember back in 1984 as part of the GSRPS when she was being moved off the platform at Mallow being very disconcerted about gauges and other items being removed ostensibly for "restoration" in a very haphazard fashion.

It's NCC 90, not GS&WR 90.

Red background. No 'GS&WR' or 'Inchicore Works' wording.

But even the plate GS&W 90 wore in Mallow was not the original, a re-casting by Inchicore before she was 'stuffed and mounted' I would wager. 90 went for a long time in black/grey and painted-on numerals so the original plate would have been tipped into the melting pot along with the others.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

It's NCC 90, not GS&WR 90.

Red background. No 'GS&WR' or 'Inchicore Works' wording.

But even the plate GS&W 90 wore in Mallow was not the original, a re-casting by Inchicore before she was 'stuffed and mounted' I would wager. 90 went for a long time in black/grey and painted-on numerals so the original plate would have been tipped into the melting pot along with the others.

Correct - Inchicore removed them about 1955-ish

Was down for the viewing yesterday. Nice stuff. Some of the estimates seem very low, there was a few punters around that seemed very interested. I have left an absentee bid on an item that shall remain nameless.

Auction house is immediately opposite the entrance for Birr Castle so had a lovely ramble around there also.

RAIL SALE.jpg

Prices were quite low - as expected when you dump such a vast amount of similar items on the market at the same time - and I'm surprised they held up as well as they did. Pic above and another tomorrow of the many, many staffs. Looks like the bulk of the collection must have been stored in a shed for years with no restoration attempted.

Here's some of the better staffs. Many of the small staffs sold for less than they would have 20 years ago - so too did many scarce large staffs.

Full catalogue with prices is available here https://www.purcellauctioneers.ie/catalogue/EC143CDF71FE633714CD229813CDBD1C/81B29AB6FA187A02A829C1899B734425/irelands-largest-railwayana-auction/ but it won't stay online for long.

RAIL SALE2.jpg

Now he tells me!

Finding it hard to add items to albums.

When you have made an album - click where it says None next to Add to album and a drop-list of your existing albums will appear, select the one you want to add a picture to and that name will appear in the box - add away.