071 Supertrain pictures

Rate this topic

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jesus lads, she looks well!....she will look even better when weathered up a bit( or a lot!!!)=D

I am not sure it was dirt from sheer hard work or my imagination but the 071s seemed to be in a much darker richer shade of orange when first introduced than other stock.

I think only one or two 071s were fitted with snatchers those fitted had gone by the early 1980s.

By the early 80s the mounting bolts and cover plates were removed and the hole plated over.

scan0022.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan0022.jpg

scan0004.jpg

I know it's a preproduction model, and it will probably be sorted before the model is released, but the headlight surrounds should be white......

Emmm I don't think they should be? If you look at the photo of 088 the headlight surrounds look pretty orange to me? :L

I have been looking at some old pics of the as delivered 071's and the model is correct. I had seen pics of Supertrain 071's with grey headlight surrounds and had also presumed that some had arrived that way, but it seems that they were changed in the 80's. Anthony's pic shows that the loco pic was taken in the 80's as the MK111's were introduced in the 80's.

Fran did his homework on this and deserves top marks for his research. Likewise young Vincent got it right so well done to him also. The roof fans look good on the model and it looks like an 071 in most areas, so kudos to Mr Murphy for that. I'm looking forward to the releases from October. I am slightly worried about the color as John Mayne has said but photos from that era are not as sharp as today and saturation can make color's seem less sharp.

Rich,

cheers Rich :) just wondering, does anyone know when the LED clusters were introduced to the 071s? Late 90s?

The 071's along with the 121/141/181's began to get those LED marker lights from late 2000 and mainly during 2001,077 being one of the first locos to be fitted with them from what I can remember.

Photo taken between the Curragh and Kildare in 1984,according to an IRRS journal around that time the train was one of the first sets of Mk3s to be formed and was used as a publicity shoot for the introduction of the trains to various routes,

A public timetable from 1984 has a picture of the same train on its cover-taken from the opposite side to the above photo.

I know it's a preproduction model, and it will probably be sorted before the model is released, but the headlight surrounds should be white......

Yeah that is actually a mistaken assumption I used to also make until a couple years ago when I started to compare old photos of the 071s. When delivered the headlight surrounds were orange, only in the 1980s, around the time with the introduction of the Mk3s, did they get painted white.

Regarding shade of orange, it is close enough, the original might have been a little less saturated.

Edited by Eiretrains

About the colour, I think this is down to them being painted by GM before shipping. The paint pigments must have been slightly different to what the paint shop in Inchicore was using at the time. I remember noticing the different colour - browner, more 'tan' than the shade of orange used in the 1970s / 80s, with a white roundel rather than the standard orange with white 'CIE' in the centre. When they were repainted, Inchicore turned them out the same way as the 141s.

I wasn't aware of the headlight detail - interesting.

Alan