IRM Cement Bubble Latest News

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

11 minutes ago, enniscorthyman said:

The MIR bubbles were quite Good,although they had to be built correctly and the chassis square.

I'm very lucky to have four superb orange examples built, painted and weathered by @Georgeconna. They go very nicely with the new IRM ivory bubbles.

DSC_8822.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 1

pearl-phelan-irm-1012-set-c-02-sq.thumb.jpg.e631e6bb806e76a85155764c14b13152.jpg

Hey everyone,

Just a heads up; We're 75% sold out of the ivory bubbles already. Thank you to everyone who placed an order with us! We really appreciate it and they have been a great success. It's incredible to think that they only arrived just over a month ago! 

We would recommend that you grab some now before they go completely. We all know what happened with pack A after all. Pack B is not far behind from going completely, with C and D catching up too. 

They ain't hanging around!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedRich said:

Nice to see 112 on duty Eammon lovely shot's of the layout too. This pic at Waterford west is interesting as 112 seems to have had the IE cabside sliding window replaced with silver framed ones. Whats interesting also is that the hand wheel is blue. 

112 Waterford west.jpg

Nice photo! Could the photo have actually been taken before the silver window frames were replaced with the IE coloured ones? I don't think the IE frames ever came out again after they were fitted.......but I could be wrong.....

26 minutes ago, aclass007 said:

Nice photo! Could the photo have actually been taken before the silver window frames were replaced with the IE coloured ones? I don't think the IE frames ever came out again after they were fitted.......but I could be wrong.....

I reckon you could be right which would mean that the pic was taken in 2004 ?. I was surmising that it could have been 2006. Anyone know what year the nameplate changed to the one with the white and red letters. Still my favorite model of the 071 112 classes.

Rich,

18 minutes ago, Noel said:

(i.e. is there a possibility they could ship this side of Christmas).

Yes.

Irish Railway Models today announces that it will release its highly detailed cement bubble wagon in the iconic CIÉ orange and grey livery in time for Christmas 2017. 
The announcement was made at the beginning of the South Dublin Model Railway Show at Blackrock, Dublin and is the fourth project that Irish Railway Models has announced to date.

Introduced in seven batches between 1964 and 1972, a total of 150 of these two-axle wagons were built by Córas Iompair Éireann (CIÉ) to convey bulk loads of cement from Irish Cement’s plants  at  Drogheda  in  County  Louth, Castlemungret  in  County Limerick and Platin in County Meath to distribution points throughout the CIÉ/Irish Rail and Northern Ireland Railways’ networks. Despite being introduced at different stages, the fleet carried numbers in an unbroken sequence ranging from 25050 to 25199. Affectionately known as ‘bubbles’ due to their distinctive profile, most of the fleet remained in service right up until the cessation of cement traffic by rail in 2009.

All 150 bubbles received the distinctive orange and grey livery in the early 1970s, replacing the earlier slate grey, with the last two batches of bubbles constructed receiving the orange livery from new. It was superseded by the ivory and black livery in the late 1970s, although both liveries could be observed running together into the early 1980s.

The Irish Railway Models release consists of two packs of three bubbles, all with unique running numbers. They are available to order at the show or online for €125.00. A special introductory price of €225 for two packs and €425 for four packs is also available at the show and online for the duration of the 2017 October Bank Holiday exhibition. A colour sample has been received from our factory in China, but is incorrect and will be amended for production. Prices after this weekend will revert to €125.00 per pack.

Delivery is slated for December 2017, with production commencing after the current run of Ivory bubbles is completed.
To order your bubbles, please visit www.irishrailwaymodels.com/shop

• Informative 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great to see and read the full page review of the 'cement bubbles in the February 2018 edition of the British Railway Modelling magazine, but above all, to read the reviewer's comments that this is, perhaps, one of the very best RTR models ever released (not the exact quote - someone will have it)!! Very high praise indeed and richly deserved!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fishplate7 said:

Great to see and read the full page review of the 'cement bubbles in the February 2018 edition of the British Railway Modelling magazine, but above all, to read the reviewer's comments that this is, perhaps, one of the very best RTR models ever released (not the exact quote - someone will have it)!! Very high praise indeed and richly deserved!

Good to hear and not surprised at such a positive review.  I will wait to read the review free of charge when it is a PDF on IRM's website at some stage in the future.  I stopped buying mags of all kinds a long time ago (i.e. same old, same old, which became boring after a few years).  Anyway well done guys and will look forward to reading it at some stage in the future.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone else model freelance or fictional railways? A customer sent us these pics of customised bubbles he is using on his freelance BR layout. Something different at least! They were rebranded and weathered for him by The Model Centre. Lovely subtle weathering I must say. 

20180313_134830.thumb.jpg.2187b2a4235608b903e386dc89eb0c2b.jpg

20180313_134903.thumb.jpg.18a680391a3ac1a746249bb0c168d26e.jpg

20180313_134924.thumb.jpg.cc1987b16733a26c43178eaccef3de53.jpg

• Like 3
  • WOW! 3

Hi everyone,

I know it's Tara season but the bubbles are still bouncing out the door and we're at 80% sold out so far across the ivory and orange bubbles. If you're thinking of getting another set to add to the rake or still thinking about taking the plunge our advice is not to wait around too long. The ballasts went within a year of landing and these sold even quicker. It seems some of you are buying a second rake, for weathering perhaps? :)

We will have them on sale at Wexford next weekend and should have some left for Bangor (hopefully!)

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It really doesn't seem like that long ago since our first rake of ivory cement bubbles arrived. In fact, while the pack A variant arrived at the South Dublin Model Railway Club show in Blackrock, most of the packs B, C and D didnt arrive until mid November. 

Since then they've sold like hot cakes. So much so, that we've sold out of pack A, B and now we're running very low on packs C and D. So, if you want some, act now before they all go! https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/cement-bubbles

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

1752239688_CementBubbleC.thumb.jpg.e5ed767afd8ef05ded3bb5b949cf17b5.jpg

Hi everyone, 

Not to cause a panic or anything, but we have two pack C bubbles left in stock, and D is running pretty low too. So, if you want some ivory bubbles, now is the time to snap them up or run the risk of missing out. We wont be doing another run of that livery for a loooooonnnng time. 

Dont say we didnt warn you!

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/cement-bubbles

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1655929263_CarrowbegBubbles.thumb.jpg.a77e491032f501730c559e1fe193386c.jpg
We saw the lovely 'Carrowbeg' at the recent Perth show which along with 'Old Blarney' was flying the flag for Irish outline modelling. We managed to get this shot of our bubbles, featuring some beautiful weathering, in action on the layout. The owner saw our stand and decided to add to his rake too!

If you are thinking of doing the same and want to add ivory liveried bubbles to your rake, we suggest you do it soon, as we are down to our last few packs. Order now to avoid disappointment as it will be likely the last white bubbles we do for a long, long time. We have a few pack D left, and that's it, with A, B and C all sold out. 

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/cement-bubbles

• Like 4
  • WOW! 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All our white bubbles are officially sold out! Thank you everyone for supporting us.

Sales of orange bubbles have picked up significantly in the last couple of weeks too so they are starting to run low on stock too.

If you have a set of white bubbles thrown in with your tara or plough order then don't worry, we have them here waiting to be combined and shipped to you. :)

Cheers everyone!

Fran

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Just a quick heads up, we are now sold out of orange pack E of our cement bubbles, and at the time of writing only have 15 packs of pack F left in stock, so down to to the bare bones of cement bubbles.

If you consider that the orange bubbles only existed in that livery for less than a decade (barring a transition period) while the ivory livery endured for a further three decades, I'd say the orange bubbles have acquitted themselves well in terms of sales. 'Glad' they have sold out for you!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DiveController said:

If you consider that the orange bubbles only existed in that livery for less than a decade (barring a transition period) while the ivory livery endured for a further three decades, I'd say the orange bubbles have acquitted themselves well in terms of sales. 'Glad' they have sold out for you!

Thanks Kevin, although we made less of them than the ivory we are really pleased with how they have sold too. Original slate grey anyone??

Cheets,

Fran

• Like 5

On 12/28/2018 at 11:12 AM, Warbonnet said:

Hi everyone,

Just a quick heads up, we are now sold out of orange pack E of our cement bubbles, and at the time of writing only have 15 packs of pack F left in stock, so down to to the bare bones of cement bubbles. Don't miss out! https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/cement-bubbles

Cheers,

Fran

Congratulations on the sell out and i hope it helps give a picture of the numbers interested and demand there is for CIE rolling stock 1960s/70s. Bring on the greys...

On 12/28/2018 at 11:12 AM, Warbonnet said:

Hi everyone,

Just a quick heads up, we are now sold out of orange pack E of our cement bubbles, and at the time of writing only have 15 packs of pack F left in stock, so down to to the bare bones of cement bubbles. Don't miss out! https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/cement-bubbles

Cheers,

Fran

Freight_2_bw_Cement Bubbles_1.jpg

• Like 2