Mk3 coaches

Rate this topic

Dempsey

Starting back fresh to the hobby and decided my layout will be Irish based

The mk 3 coaches used by Irish rail, did by have a letter attached to them like was seen with mk2s like mk2a,b,c and so on. If so which were used by Irish rail as I'd like to model as close as possible. 

Also was there a difference between those used on the intercity and say the enterprise?

All information and help is appreciated  

Only the International set were known as Mk3As. The rest were just called Mk3s or the 19 suburban Mk3s with the opening windows and push pull. 

Our Mk3s were basically UK HST Mk3s fitted with buffers and not UK loco hauled Mk3As which were different again. 

• Like 1

Yes, all had EGVs or on push pull sets the DVT had a small genny. 201s only ever provided power to the DD stock until spare Mk3 EGVs had to step in as 201s are not suited to HEP mode on all the time. 

210 was used during static only HEP mode test on a Mk3 set in Inchicore but was decided easier to keep EGVs. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Dempsey said:

Are the mk3 EGV's ordered by silver fox worth getting?

The ones I've seen in the flesh looked fairly decent. A little weathering might not go amis to soften the bright orange colour and just make them look slightly weathered. Their BR Mk1 GSV is also a decent coach.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
14 hours ago, Rob said:

That looks spot on-   look forward to the photos when the decals are on it!

They just arrived in the post. Fingers crossed as I've never done it before

7 hours ago, Past-Avenue said:

They look great Dempsy  ,i also done the same with old hornby mk3 coaches i picked up at shows but they are not the correct scale length but im happy with them as we all have to start somewhere

I've three jouef mk3s that are longer then the Hornby ones. Would they be closer to scale lengthy I wonder 🤔

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...