Graham's Workbench

Rate this topic

irishthump

8 minutes ago, murphaph said:

That's very nicely done. The mottling especially.

That was done by giving the model a coat of Testor's Dullcote then airbrushing a coat of a grimy brown mix of Tamiya paint. When that is touch dry, use a soft brush moistened with 50/50 IPA and water and start to remove the paint in downward strokes. The mottling occurs when the Dullcote reacts with the IPA.

• Informative 2

• 1 month later...

Weathered a couple of Lima Mk2's over the weekend. Although their obviously not the most detailed models they can be made to look pretty presentable and they run very well.

Weathering was mainly enamel washes with a little dusting of the underframe and bogies with the airbrush.

097AEB04-39B1-4FEC-9EED-55D02872FDAC.jpeg

C5D3CAAE-20E2-43DD-907E-D5E97E21E0D7.jpeg

256E167F-0205-4E4E-80B4-982C97673BD0.jpeg

Edited by irishthump
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

Got 2 more of my ferts weathered today, so that’s half the rake of 8 done. 
Also did some containers.

Took these pics outside rather than on the layout as the lighting in my attic isn’t the best.

IMG_2323.jpeg

IMG_2322.jpeg

IMG_2321.jpeg

IMG_2320.jpeg

IMG_2319.jpeg

IMG_2316.jpeg

IMG_2317.jpeg

Edited by irishthump
  • Like 11
  • WOW! 3

• 2 weeks later...

More Dapol kit madness….

This time a Prestwin cement wagon. I have a few of these kits so I decided to build one to get the feel for it. Effing nightmare! Instructions were useless as the part numbers on the sprue were unreadable! Looks ok when finished though and I’ll build the rest when I get the chance. 

IMG_2349.jpeg

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, patrick said:

I must have gone through about twenty of these kits just for the underframes and have on occasion considered actually complete one just for fun.

Yeah I think I bought them for the chassis too! But in the end I thought it was a waste to hack them up, they are a nice little model and I run BR stuff on my layout all the time so these will fit in.

42 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Yeah I think I bought them for the chassis too! But in the end I thought it was a waste to hack them up, they are a nice little model and I run BR stuff on my layout all the time so these will fit in.

When you think how old the molds are for these kits, must be over 50 years now since the original Kitmaster ones came out then taken over by Airfix and now Dapol they still make up into a reasonable model. 

I have a few of the Dapol 16 tonners and they sit well next to the Parkside version.

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, irishmail said:

When you think how old the molds are for these kits, must be over 50 years now since the original Kitmaster ones came out then taken over by Airfix and now Dapol they still make up into a reasonable model. 

I have a few of the Dapol 16 tonners and they sit well next to the Parkside version.

Yeah as I said my only issue was that the part numbers on the sprue were illegible which resulted in some guesswork and a couple of parts being glued arse about face!  The actual quality of the kit is quite good.

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Recently picked up a second BR blue class 20 and weathered it over the weekend. I made this into a dummy unit by removing the the drive shafts as my other Class 20 has DCC sound and I’m not buying another sound decoder just yet!

The last pic shows the two locos double-heading.

IMG_2459.jpeg

IMG_2460.jpeg

IMG_2461.jpeg

IMG_2462.jpeg

IMG_2464.jpeg

IMG_2465.jpeg

• Like 6
  • WOW! 2