Dublin Port Alexandra Basin

Rate this topic

I spotted a large heavy-lift crane barge today down in Dublin Port. It appeared to be getting ready to move a large ro-ro ramp. Unfortuntely I was driving and unable to take a picture. After a spot of googling, I understand that Dublin Port are redeveloping the Alexandra Basin area of the port, including the jetty and infrastructure used to load ore from the Tara Mines tippler. I've since heard that Tara Mines traffic is to cease for a number of months. Is this true? What's the plan? Anyone know more about this?

The existing conveyor and pier used to load ships with Tara’s product is being demolished to make space for some of the redevelopment.. A new conveyor in a better location will be installed.. I think the Zinc from Tara is going to be shipped ex Drogheda for a few weeks to facilitate the work..

• Informative 1

I heard on the radio that there is work taking place in the Alexandra Basin area of the docks to accommodate a larger 'Brexit-buster' cargo ship. The work will mean 50% less cruise ships docking in Dublin while the work is underway - tourism & other businesses that would make money from those onboard aren't too happy about it

• Like 1

Here’s before and after pics from the Dublin port website.. https://www.dublinport.ie/portfolio/alexandra-basin-redevelopment/

The Tara mines conveyor is the browny green structure on the pier extending out into the basin in the “before” picture

It has been removed in the “after” artists impression to make space for two new Ro/Ro berths in the foreground 

550716D0-D042-4835-AAAB-7BAA2ED56516.jpeg

FBA53207-C41D-4E23-9653-697864B881FB.png

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

Thanks Mogul and Skinner 75. I wonder if the ore is shipped out from Drogheda using road vehicles, successfully, will it put this rail flow at risk long term? 

I suspect not, as access the Drogheda Port is challenging. The rail line down to the old cement works could be reinstated I suppose, making for an interesting short trip working: Navan to Drogheda Port 3 times daily!

1 hour ago, dave182 said:

Thanks Mogul and Skinner 75. I wonder if the ore is shipped out from Drogheda using road vehicles, successfully, will it put this rail flow at risk long term? 

I suspect not, as access the Drogheda Port is challenging. The rail line down to the old cement works could be reinstated I suppose, making for an interesting short trip working: Navan to Drogheda Port 3 times daily!

It looks like Boliden are planning to extend the life of the mine beyond 2026. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tara-digs-deeper-underground-to-secure-the-future-of-europes-biggest-zinc-mine-jztbzf6g5.

It will be interesting if Boliden invests in a fleet of new wagons or manages to keep the existing fleet in service up to 2036.

• Like 1

I'd say if they can find any way under the sun to get it off the rails and into trucks to Drogheda or anywhere else, they won't lose a minute in doing it!

Within days, they'll announce that the last trucks are now scrapped, track lifting has reached Beauparc, and the branch is going to be a greenway. And there is absolutely no chance it can be reopened without spending €12,456 billion, which is better spent on that greenway, and new speed limit signs on motorways.

• Like 1

Part of the Boliden contract when the mine was first planned was that the ore was to be shipped by rail for export. It was a bilateral contract agreement between Boliden and the government at the time. I have no idea if there is a get out clause as part of that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Railer said:

Part of the Boliden contract when the mine was first planned was that the ore was to be shipped by rail for export. It was a bilateral contract agreement between Boliden and the government at the time. I have no idea if there is a get out clause as part of that.

Using rail would fit in with Boliden's Sustainability Commitments & to keep within its existing carbon limits under the EU Emission Trading Scheme, and likely to continue until the existing wagons and loading/unloading infrastructure require replacement.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...