CIE shunter...why not?

Rate this topic

spudfan

I know that there's a deluge of long sought after diesels on the way, but if a CIE shunter could be added to the list of to dos I'd be happy. Everyone has room for one or two. They would be a God send for those who have small layouts. Just getting my wish list in ...again.

• Like 2

It would be interesting to see if there is sufficient level of demand to justify (IRM?) commissioning a rtr E421 or G611 Class. 

Judging by Murphy Models & IRM releases the highest level of demand appears to be for models of locos and stock which operated during the past 30-40 years, when the D, E & G Class shunting locos were scrapped or out of service.

The majority of the diesel shunter's had a relatively short service life and apart from the G Class quite restricted area of operation.

The Ds & Es were largely restricted to pilot duty at Connolly & Heuston Station, the North Wall Yards and Heuston-North Wall transfer duties.

Most of the D401s appear to have been out or servcie or scrapped by the late 1960s

The E401s appear to have been based in Inchacore for use on Heuston carriage & goods yard pilot duties and North Wall Transfer and shunting duties, The E421s appeared to have been used for Connolly coaching pilot duties and shunting and banking at the North Wall, eventually replacing E401s on Heuston pilot duties as the latter locos wore out and main line locos took over North-Wall Heuston transfer freights.

The G Class were more widely dispersed but apart from a few sold to the Sugar Company and one (G611?) "borrowed" by CIE to shunt Limerick wagon works out of use by the mid-80s.

• Like 1

Silver Fox supply OO gauge rtr models of the D & G Class that appear to pass the 2 foot rule i.e. layout locos that look close enough to the prototype from a distance of 2'.

The D appears to be a re-painted Bachmann 08 and should have good slow speed running characteristics necessary for a shunter http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/ir-ie-301-class-d-class-0-6-0-inchicore-works/

The rtr G Class appears to use a Tenshodo Spud motor bogie which is not exactly ideal for a shunter, The 27:1 Black Beetle bogie would be more controllable and have a better speed range than a Spud.

The Valve Design (Shapeways) E421 appears to be a reasonably accurate model,  the main drawback is achieving an acceptable surface finish with a 3D printed body and sourcing a suitable chassis.

I assembled an E421 several years ago using a combination of the Shapeways body, my own detail parts and a custom built Bull Ant chassis.

I don't see demand for a rtr E Class stacking up in terms of a rtr model, majority out of service by 1980, limited livery variations.

The best option for a rtr E Class would probably to commission DC Kits or Silver Fox to design and manufacture a resin body to fit on a Black Beetle motor bogie with a non powered leading axle or commission Hollywood Foundry to produce a batch of custom built chassis to suit an E Class.

DSCF3179.JPG.255f9b1ea8ef6f91616394fe8cb01e78.JPGDSCF3173.JPG.b496947c1dba4d329364048b863bbe38.JPG

If you know the IRM model well, you will know that we are fans on of of the aforementioned locos, and it would be very much in our thoughts eventually, when other locos are produced. It's a case of 'patience, my sweet' if you wish to wait for a top class RTR shunter, but it is on the medium term radar.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 5
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Warbonnet said:

If you know the IRM model well, you will know that we are fans on of of the aforementioned locos, and it would be very much in our thoughts eventually, when other locos are produced. It's a case of 'patience, my sweet' if you wish to wait for a top class RTR shunter, but it is on the medium term radar.

Cheers!

Fran

Patience I have Fran, but I would love to own and run a few before I depart this life (not that I plan to depart soon) but could u be talking  maybe in the next 5 years?🤔

56 minutes ago, heirflick said:

Patience I have Fran, but I would love to own and run a few before I depart this life (not that I plan to depart soon) but could u be talking  maybe in the next 5 years?🤔

Aaah, you're safe for a while.

The crowdfunding for the hitman has slowed up a bit lately.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, heirflick said:

About that timeframe. This is the problem with this gig, we want to to make everything yesterday but the market can only sustain so much, so we gotta take our time!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

I wish you would take your time with the wagons, all me communion money is nearly gone!

Go on to fuck......you still have every penny!!!🤣

5 hours ago, Broithe said:

Aaah, you're safe for a while.

The crowdfunding for the hitman has slowed up a bit lately.

Ahh Jim...you say the sweetest things sometimes!:mutley2:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 7/9/2019 at 5:03 AM, Mayner said:

Silver Fox supply OO gauge rtr models of the ...... G Class that appear to pass the 2 foot rule i.e. layout locos that look close enough to the prototype from a distance of 2'.

The rtr G Class appears to use a Tenshodo Spud motor bogie which is not exactly ideal for a shunter, The 27:1 Black Beetle bogie would be more controllable and have a better speed range than a Spud.

The G (G611 type) is available from both Silver Fox and DC Kits. Mine came from DC as a body only kit. I think it's the same master built by Mike Edge which may have used the Worsley Works etch as a basis. Can be made to pass the 1 foot rule with time and patience, but mine has developed odd warping in some of the thinner sections requiring surgery. Lots of flash around the buffers from mould tears and air bubble cavities around the axleboxes. But it can be worked on. I did consider buying the Worsley etch just to do a new frame but couldn't be bothered as in the end as subtle weathering should knock it back a bit.

Tenshodo/Hanazono spud's can work quite well with a good feedback controller such as a Gaugemaster HH, but at the expense of noise and heat. Plenty of room in the bonnet for lead to add weight, and some voids underneath for same. 

It could be that resin castings for the Silver Fox rtr versions have been well cleaned up before painting - perhaps someone has one and can advise?

Edited by decauville1126
grammar

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see the interest in this. Pleased that I am that it could happen it has dawned on me that with "LIFE" in general rearing it's ugly head the finances have to be looked at. It does not look promising for the purchase of the up coming "121" or the "A" class, let alone the appropriate rolling stock to go with them. So when the "121s" and the "A's" arrive  I'll have to make a pilgrimage down to Marks Models with a fold up chair, park myself in front of the display cabinet with a flask of tea and a packed lunch and drool. I probably won't be alone in this so I presume as space is limited Marks Models will have security staff on hand to limit the amount of drooling time each person can have...

Edited by spudfan
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

• 4 weeks later...

why

On 7/7/2019 at 12:09 AM, spudfan said:

I know that there's a deluge of long sought after diesels on the way, but if a CIE shunter could be added to the list of to dos I'd be happy. Everyone has room for one or two. They would be a God send for those who have small layouts. Just getting my wish list in ...again.

why not, ? indeed i'll have one of each please.