Whether to Weather or Preserve Pristine - Quite the Quandary!

Rate this topic

DJ Dangerous

As per the title, what do people feel?

I'm sure that it's horses for courses and all that.

I feel that a lot of the Irish RTR models, certainly the Murphy Models locos, anything from IRM, along with the RPSI coaches, are all more or less limited editions.

I won't even take my Hot Wheels out of their packaging, unless they are extra cool models and I find a duplicate to preserve, but obviously model railways are a different story.

Is it sacriligious to weather something that is so short in supply, so hard to replace or find again, or is it cringe-worthy to have everything shiny and always looking like it's fresh from the factory?

I went to buy some Tara Mines wagons the other day, and realised that there are almost none left at all, and that's what set me on this train (ha ha ha) of thought.

Marks Models have some, but they will charge me VAT so I'll have to give them a miss... but that's a different topic.

I've seen some stunning examples of wonderful weathering on this site and elsewhere, with amazing levels of detail and realism, and I tend to almost drool in awe.

At the same time, when I see that something is out of stock and may never be produced again, I feel guilty for even desiring something like that for my layout.

• Like 2

I suppose that it’s (a) just a matter of opinion and (b) the degree of realism someone wants on a layout - a whole pristine train is in almost all respects inaccurately untypical, to those seeking 101% realism.

The way I see it, for what it’s worth, is this. If I am prepared to spend €130 on getting a loco for a given layout scenario which isn’t too far away from what actually operated, or €190 on an accurate model if same, then it boils down to the fact that when given a choice, I will choose accuracy and be prepared for my wallet to become €60 lighter than another modeller might be happy with.

Fine. 

Then IRM (for example) bring out a new wagon of the type I need. I have three choices:

1. Buy cheap Hornby things that look vaguely reminiscent of what I want. Slap’o’grey paint and yer grand.

2.  I sell my car and buy 20 of the IRM ones, as they are outstandingly accurate, and keep them and their boxes as they are.

3.  I sell the car, buy the 20 IRMs and weather them within an inch of their lives / because they ALWAYS looked like that in real life.

Summary: if I’m prepared to pay well above what I COULD have done, just to get decent accuracy, which I will enjoy operating, then I may well be prepared to accept that by weathering them, I’m dropping resale value.

In my case (and please don’t tell Leslie or Garfield, who I’m sure aren’t reading this), all of the outstandingly excellent items of theirs which I’ve purchased, will be weathered to some extent - in the case of wagons, prototypically very heavily!

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

It can be a dilemma alright. There is a certain attraction to keeping a shiny new plastic model just as it arrived in its box, untouched and pristine. However the colours of some of the plastics while accurate when the stock was new, can look rather 'toyish' if not even a little fisher price until they get some weathering. Weathering can be very subjective, and its all a matter of personal taste, personally I like light weathering so the model doesn't look like a new Tri-ang toy from the 1980s, but rather just a little used in traffic and the original bright colours toned down just enough to create the visual impression of respectfully aged like a fine wine. An example is the fine Murphy Model mk2d super train coaches. The bright orange roof visually screams, but a light weathering transforms them, especially as models we spend more time looking down at the roofs, whereas in real life we view most rolling stock from side on and rarely see roofs. Each on to their own preferences. Consider it this way, soiling a pristine model by weathering it sort of makes it unique and perhaps even more collectable. The first few times it is scary as hell, but worth it in the end. Suggest folks buy a few cheap rolling stock items at swop meets like Stillorgan or Bray (eg €5 old BR tri-ang or lIma coach) and experiment on them before laying a finger on a €50 Murphy model coach.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Then IRM (for example) bring out a new wagon of the type I need. I have three choices:

1. Buy cheap Hornby things that look vaguely reminiscent of what I want. Slap’o’grey paint and yer grand.

2.  I sell my car and buy 20 of the IRM ones, as they are outstandingly accurate, and keep them and their boxes as they are.

3.  I sell the car, buy the 20 IRMs and weather them within an inch of their lives / because they ALWAYS looked like that in real life.

If you had two cars to sell, you could do all three, then cycle everywhere.

I think that I'd only be prepared to weather (or get somebody to do it for me as I don't have the eyesight / hand-eye coordination for anything that detailed) if I had an original in mint condition to satiate my OCD.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

From an aesthetic point of view, I find that a poor gauge affects the proximity to realism more than the weathering. That's not to take away from any weatherers here at all, just an opinion, as I couldn't do what members here do, nothing even close.

On 10/29/2019 at 10:43 AM, Warbonnet said:

Well, we do have a few customers who buy two of each model, one to stay in the box, one to run and/or weather up. Bit of an expensive way to solve the issue, but they do it and we are grateful for the business! 

I've ordered some D and E packs of IRM Tara Mines wagons, some of which will never ever see the light of day!

On 10/29/2019 at 2:08 AM, DiveController said:

Just some info regarding Marks Models exporting outside the EU. I have purchased from them before and they WILL (or did) refund the VAT if you email them (better in advance). Yes they SHOULD be able to do that automatically so that you know what you're  paying up front but c'st la vie

Yes, you were right! I asked again a few weeks ago, and received a reply a week or two back, saying that they would do VAT free sales, as you describe. Refund of VAT upon shipping of the order.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't understand the idea of buying something, simply in order to keep it pristine, in its box even, simply to protect future resale. For me it is all about enjoying your hard earned and if it is something designed to run, then use it as intended.

However, one of the great things about our hobby is that, if it works for you, then it is right, so do your own thing and enjoy it.

• Like 8

I bought the weathered MM 141s but they're nothing compared to the weathering that some modellers do. From my point of view, weathering can enhance some of the fine detail and gives the model a lot more realism. When I buy a model I expect that it's for keeps and don't have any consideration for it's future value. If you're buying models simply to keep pristine and in a box then they're just ornaments. Think of railway modelling as if it's a sport - if you buy clothes/equipment you have to use them, otherwise, you can't participate.

• Like 5

On 11/14/2019 at 10:01 AM, connollystn said:

I bought the weathered MM 141s but they're nothing compared to the weathering that some modellers do. From my point of view, weathering can enhance some of the fine detail and gives the model a lot more realism. When I buy a model I expect that it's for keeps and don't have any consideration for it's future value. If you're buying models simply to keep pristine and in a box then they're just ornaments. Think of railway modelling as if it's a sport - if you buy clothes/equipment you have to use them, otherwise, you can't participate.

But what's wrong with wanting some as running models and some as static models (or ornaments)?

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with doing both but my initial impression was that you were concerned about weathering models which are in limited supply. If you have enough models for running and some for display purposes also then that's fine. If you refer back to the opening of this thread you will understand that my suggestion was based on the dilemma that I believed you were in.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 8:23 AM, David Holman said:

Personally, I don't understand the idea of buying something, simply in order to keep it pristine, in its box even, simply to protect future resale. For me it is all about enjoying your hard earned and if it is something designed to run, then use it as intended.

However, one of the great things about our hobby is that, if it works for you, then it is right, so do your own thing and enjoy it.

Agree, model trains are meant to be run and driven. Play time. :) Now I wouldn't mind a static display of a 1 gauge 141 sitting in a class case beside me in the sitting room to gaze at during TV adverts. But storing locos away in boxes in cupboards seems such a waste (of which I have sinned in the past myself)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 2:59 PM, connollystn said:

There's nothing wrong with doing both but my initial impression was that you were concerned about weathering models which are in limited supply. If you have enough models for running and some for display purposes also then that's fine. If you refer back to the opening of this thread you will understand that my suggestion was based on the dilemma that I believed you were in.

It wasn't so much of a dilemma, rather that I was looking for people's opinions.

Maybe my OP wasn't too clear, but I was asking what members feel, not what they feel that OTHERS should feel, hence my surprise at some of the borderline-condescending type replies.

There's already one forum member who snipes non-stop, but has a crew ready to shoot them down most of the time, so that's all good.

No need for others to start down that line, too.

Horses for courses, as some have said, and it's acceptable for different people to have different takes on model railways.

Again, I'm just curious as to what members feel, not what they feel that others should feel.

Just purely as my opinion,( re above!) I always think weathering is best, I liked the look of stuff that's had hard use in real life, that said, my main interest is narrow gauge steam in the later days, so there's great scope for stuff looking battered and filthy!..😉

Narrow gauge steam, if Irish, and if the preference is actual accuracy (it may not be; different opinions rule), would require everything from station paintwork bro anything running on rails to be very heavily weathered!

Again, since you ask, for me the preference is realistic weathering on everything, but each to their own.

On 12/7/2019 at 10:22 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

It wasn't so much of a dilemma, rather that I was looking for people's opinions.

Maybe my OP wasn't too clear, but I was asking what members feel, not what they feel that OTHERS should feel, hence my surprise at some of the borderline-condescending type replies.

There's already one forum member who snipes non-stop, but has a crew ready to shoot them down most of the time, so that's all good.

No need for others to start down that line, too.

Horses for courses, as some have said, and it's acceptable for different people to have different takes on model railways.

Again, I'm just curious as to what members feel, not what they feel that others should feel.

I “feel” I like in time to eventually weather all my rolling stock. 75% done so far. Some pristine new stock can have an unprototypical plastic Duplo or fisher price look about it until it’s weathered. I “feel” I like gentle weathering which is quick and easy to do, and low risk too. Just enough to take the shine off stock and give it that slight used and aged look. Not a fan of filth nearing the point of scrapage, but that’s just a personal opinion.

Edited by Noel

18 hours ago, Noel said:

I “feel” I like in time to eventually weather all my rolling stock. 75% done so far.

18 hours ago, Noel said:

I “feel” I like gentle weathering which is quick and easy to do, and low risk too.

I "feel" a hint of sarcasm off your post. Has somebody got a bee in their bonnet?  

On 12/8/2019 at 8:47 PM, jhb171achill said:

Wow!!! I thought that was a real photo!

Giles is rather good and a master of stage lighting, which is his day job. The lorry in the picture is radio controlled, one of several on his layout, along with working gantry cranes too.

As for weathering, for anyone not sure, suggest the way forward is to use weathering powders. While they will need some sort of fixative spray, to prevent the effect being rubbed off by handling, in the short term, if you don't like it, then the weathering can be easily cleaned off with damp cotton buds.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JasonB said:

I "feel" a hint of sarcasm off your post. Has somebody got a bee in their bonnet?  

If there is a bee in their bonnet I'd strongly suggest taking off the bonnet and get one of these.

I would also advise to take off the skirt if wearing it, as it is one thing having it blown up, but having bees flying up there.

I would also advise a board game to ease stress, this one would do the job.

bee keepers hat.png

hangman.jpg

• Funny 1

11 hours ago, JasonB said:

No the OP suggested his questions had not been answered and requested folks answer how they "feel" about weathering, so I did. No bee and no bonnet, but perhaps a frunk :)