Connemara Railway project.

Rate this topic

On 10/9/2023 at 9:05 AM, DJ Dangerous said:

Amazing work, there, TTC!

Are people allowed to visit, as per Gobbler's post above, or is it restricted?

If I were up in Ireland for a break, I'd definitely try come for a visit.

EDIT: God damn predictive text, Gabhal's post asking if he can visit!

We intend to have the site opened to the public in the next few weeks. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Fabulous project, amazing vision, dedication and work by all concerned. 

The drone images are amazing, breathtaking setting and surrounding scenery - it must have been magical to travel on that line in it's operational heyday, although I guess most passengers were more concerned with the various normal activities of their daily lives, than perhaps contemplating the stunning landscape.    

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some track laying work was completed today at Maam cross,

Four track panels were installed at the Galway end approximately 1/2 mile from Maam cross station. 
Ballasting work was also completed as it’s a shared roadway

Work was completed on the painting of the loading bank crane 

IMG_2279.jpeg

IMG_2288.jpeg

IMG_2289.jpeg

IMG_2290.jpeg

IMG_2291.jpeg

IMG_2283.jpeg

IMG_2284.jpeg

IMG_2285.jpeg

IMG_2286.jpeg

IMG_2287.jpeg

IMG_2292.jpeg

97fb80b4-8f66-46c7-b2d6-cef801e1a737.jpeg

Edited by ttc0169
  • Like 17
  • WOW! 2

Looking fantastic ttc!! It really is some job you’re all doing up there and I wish I could take part in some way but  sadly the Leaving Cert doesn’t leave a lot of time for it! I have to ask if you hand a timeframe for the laying of the standard-gauge track? How much narrow gauge track do ye have laid in full so far and how much do you plan on laying in the future? Thanks and well well done to you all, you really are all doing god’s work!!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Great to see the work unfolding before our very eyes. Some very shiny looking orange and black coaches nestled away on Platform 3.

Are the track panels held together using those bits of metal while in storage, as wood would rot?

Don’t understand DJ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ttc0169 said:

We can go three miles in the Galway direction and five miles in the Clifden direction subject to acquiring more track panels. 

Thats a very decent run (and more than I thought possible) - looking forward to seeing the project developing to its full potential! I've no doubt but that you'll get there!

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 1

11 minutes ago, Flying Snail said:

Thats a very decent run (and more than I thought possible) - looking forward to seeing the project developing to its full potential! I've no doubt but that you'll get there!

When you look on google maps at the site. You can see how one level crossing at maam cross station itself opens up THAT amount of track I wonder will we see platforms at each end of the track…or will it just be a run around . 

• Like 3

On 13/11/2023 at 4:03 AM, DJ Dangerous said:

Great to see the work unfolding before our very eyes. Some very shiny looking orange and black coaches nestled away on Platform 3.

Are the track panels held together using those bits of metal while in storage, as wood would rot?

BNM used sectional track with metal sleepers (not unlike tinplate model railway track) for both its permanent and temporary lines.  The steel sleepers were used for strength and lighter weight to allow track to be put down, lifted and relocated easily as opposed to rot or insect attack.

Similar systems were/are used on sugar plantations and once used in civil engineering works.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...