Connemara Railway project.

Rate this topic

https://www.connemararailway.ie/

More progress yesterday with the temporary narrow gauge tracks being laid towards the Galway city direction,

Exciting times ahead when after the open day (TBC) the standard 5' 3'' track will replace the temporary narrow gauge and will permit the use of former MGWR and CIE rolling stock to be used  at this scenic location.

There is a go fund me page in the link if you would wish to donate to this worthy cause.

A few photos from relaying operations over the last few weeks

IMG_E4942.JPG

IMG_E4944.JPG

IMG_4947.JPG

IMG_4848.JPG

IMG_4846 (1).JPG

IMG_4850.JPG

IMG_4852.JPG

IMG_4880.JPG

IMG_4945.JPG

IMG_4948.JPG

• Like 9
  • WOW! 2

8 minutes ago, Lough Erne said:

Hi ttc0169

Great progress.

Out of interest what is the logic of laying the 3ft stuff first, if it is to be replaced by 5ft3? I assume that it is to get something on the ground quickly to draw the crowds?

Regards

LE.

Exactly. And wait until you see what it is!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lough Erne said:

Hi ttc0169

Great progress.

Out of interest what is the logic of laying the 3ft stuff first, if it is to be replaced by 5ft3? I assume that it is to get something on the ground quickly to draw the crowds?

Regards

LE.

Hi LE,

Lets just say there will be something coming to the line soon that hasn't been in operation since its closure 85 years ago......keep  watching here for updates.:tumbsup:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ttc0169 said:

Hi LE,

Lets just say there will be something coming to the line soon that hasn't been in operation since its closure 85 years ago......keep  watching here for updates.:tumbsup:

Just now, Georgeconna said:

& 90

I hope it's a barn find unrebuilt LM class. Number 90 is nice but I think it's at home at Downpatrick.

Reading the newspaper article the 3' gauge is to have a 3' gauge steam loco up and running for the launch of the Connemara Railway Project.

The promoters are keeping the identity of the 3' gauge loco under wraps.

I suppose the question is what working 3' gauge steam locos & a train suitable for Maam Cross are currently available in Ireland and the UK, rather than what broad gauge locos could be made available to the project.

A short Irish Narrow Gauge train ride in conjunction with a museum with some restored Broad Gauge stock & restored station may be more achievable and attractive to the tourist market than a full blown 5'3" restoration project.

• Like 2

There is about five they are.

1. West Clare 0-6-2 number 5

2. The new Cavan and Leitrim railway 0-6-0 Nancy 

3.NC&L 0-4-0 Dromod.

4/5. 2 out of the 3 Bord Na Mona engines

Edit:

Are all 3 in working order? I think the might be. If the Tralee and dingle was open they could probally use that engine. The a lot of engines at Cultra. I would like to Phoenix run again or even an original C&L 4-4-0T engine.

13 minutes ago, Midland Man said:

3.NC&L 0-4-0 Dromod.

Edit:

Are all 3 in working order? I think the might be. If the Tralee and dingle was open they could probally use that engine. The a lot of engines at Cultra. I would like to Phoenix run again or even an original C&L 4-4-0T engine.

Dromod is not in the country anymore, stored pending overhaul in the UK. Shane is in store in Giants Causeway with no boiler ticket and due an overhaul. 

That leaves 5, Nancy and Roisín as the 3ft steamers in Ireland with a valid boiler ticket.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 10:46 AM, Midland Man said:

3.NC&L 0-4-0 Dromod.

Edit:

I would assume, judging by the state of steam towards the end, the Belfast based C & L loco is likely to be clapped out. No one is getting their hands on 5T as long as the current Blennerville stalemate persists. 

Some more progress at Maam cross yesterday when the last of the temporary narrow gauge track panels were laid into position,this area is being shared by users of the nearby bog so there was more intensive work needed here to ensure an even transition between rail and road,

Also seen in the photos is the first rail mounted vehicle to work to the end of the line in 85 years and some more vegetation clearance work which has opened up more of the spectacular scenery along the route of the railway.

Thank you for all your kind comments about the project so far from Jim Deegan.

IMG_E4970.JPG

IMG_E4973.JPG

IMG_E4974.JPG

IMG_E4975.JPG

IMG_E4977.JPG

IMG_E4985.JPG

IMG_4980.JPG

IMG_4984.JPG

IMG_E4982.JPG

IMG_E4988.JPG

• Like 5
  • WOW! 1

Wonderful wild, bleak scenery surrounded by bogs and the scudding clouds. I do hope that when this b---y cv stuff is over I can get to see this project.  Is it the sort of thing that civil engineering students/graduates would be interested in getting into? Thats how the Festiniog got its extension back to BF built.

Please keep posting those brilliant photographs.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Lough Erne said:

Great to see that so much progress has been made in such a short period of time. What's the total length of 3ft laid now do you know?

Just short of a half of a mile from the entrance gate to the cutting.

21 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Remember a few years back a Few lads, some on here did a preservation project about feasible sites, I wonder was this area included at the time and how it featured on the report?

The site may not have been available then George as it was being used by a company as a storage area up to about two years ago.

4 hours ago, ttc0169 said:

Just short of a half of a mile from the entrance gate to the cutting.

The site may not have been available then George as it was being used by a company as a storage area up to about two years ago.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 7:08 PM, Georgeconna said:

Remember a few years back a Few lads, some on here did a preservation project about feasible sites, I wonder was this area included at the time and how it featured on the report?

Yes, firstly, that site was not then available. The study was done some ten years ago.

Secondly, the terms of remit were related to a 5'3" gauge set up, very much along Downpatrick lines, within a 45 minute drive of Dublin, as such a market is essential to any 5'3" gauge project if it is to be financially viable without external help from either a funding body, local authority, tourism body or private individual(s).

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 6/24/2020 at 1:51 PM, minister_for_hardship said:

I would assume, judging by the state of steam towards the end, the Belfast based C & L loco is likely to be clapped out.

True, but Lady Edith has steamed in preservation....

On 6/22/2020 at 5:34 PM, Midland Man said:

I hope it's a barn find unrebuilt LM class. Number 90 is nice but I think it's at home at Downpatrick.

Ah! You know about the barn....... don't tell anyone!

31 minutes ago, DiveController said:

Some of us are banned from visiting the EU at the moment,  so ditto

Travel to the Provincial Principality of Michelle & Arlene and take a drive on down - nobody will stop you north or south....

• 4 weeks later...