Connemara Railway project.

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Colin R said:

Hopefully you can find some to use, 5ft 3 is a bit rare around the world, Over here in the UK some one had 3 or 4 swedish gauge locos as static exhibits, may be a source for a rebuilt 5ft 3ins gauge steam loco, I am not sure if they are 5ft or 5ft 6in, as they are of no use to anyone else it might be worth having a look at them for the future, also not sure about Indian either as they have 5ft 3ins gauge lines so might have the odd 4-4-0 in a scrap yard still.   

Intriguing idea, Colin, regauge a 5ft loco - maybe a Russian L Class 2-10-0? Just make sure it's not one of the EIGHTY I've travelled behind already!

-----------

Someone needs to win the Euromillions and do a NewBuild MGWR 2-4-0? Or maybe an L Class 0-6-0.

With Flyaway Cab, of course!!!!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Colin R said:

Hopefully you can find some to use, 5ft 3 is a bit rare around the world, Over here in the UK some one had 3 or 4 swedish gauge locos as static exhibits, may be a source for a rebuilt 5ft 3ins gauge steam loco, I am not sure if they are 5ft or 5ft 6in, as they are of no use to anyone else it might be worth having a look at them for the future, also not sure about Indian either as they have 5ft 3ins gauge lines so might have the odd 4-4-0 in a scrap yard still.   

They’re 5’6”. The only places with 5’3” other than here are Australia (parts of) and Brazil, as far as I am aware. 

The larger 5’6” gauge is found in India, Pakistan, not sure about Bangladesh any more, and Sri Lanka.

The Spanish, Portuguese and Russians and some former soviet countries also have broad gauge.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

They’re 5’6”. The only places with 5’3” other than here are Australia (parts of) and Brazil, as far as I am aware. 

The larger 5’6” gauge is found in India, Pakistan, not sure about Bangladesh any more, and Sri Lanka.

The Spanish, Portuguese and Russians and some former soviet countries also have broad gauge.

Finland, too... :D 

• Like 1

Swedish railways are standard gauge 4'-8 1/2 not 5'-6'' and are actually linked by a bridge and tunnel between the Malmo & Copenhagen localities to the rest of Western European mainland systems and also the the Norwegian System. There were a fair number of 3'-6" and smaller gauge local lines which have all either closed, been converted to standard gauge or the odd preserved bit.

Finland has 5 feet gauge as it was under Russian control until WW11.

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MOGUL said:

Surely Lough Erne would be ideal for this line? A nice tank engine, and I don't think the RPSI have any long term plans for mainline use

In theory.

However, the costs associated with operating a full-size steam locomotive, plus the regulatory regime, insurance costs, railway safety case and other stuff would make such a thing hopelessly uneconomic.

Even more so, the importation of a loco, conversion of it, and certification processes here - you'd need a hefty six-figure sum, or more like seven figure.

Downpatrick uses two TINY shunting engines and a TINY 5'3" gauge loco in rotation. These are barely economically viable even there, other than at Christmas, Easter, St. P's Day and Halloween.

Sadly, the market for railway preservation in its proper sense in Ireland is exceptionally small.

"Lough Erne" would be a lovely thing to behold (Galteemore here might just agree with me!) but would conservatively cost half a million sterling for an almost total rebuild from ground up - she's mechanically and internally in a shocking state, with most of the loco only fit for scrap.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

• 5 months later...

Yes not much to report from the worksite due to COVID restrictions,

Here are a few photos from an aerial perspective of the site taken prior to the full lockdown,

We all hope to be back at the site as soon as the restrictions are eased,

Lots of new items and work to continue whenever possible,and it’s great to see various railway magazines giving us the necessary and useful publicity  

69A72D9E-123E-49F8-945C-5947B61E55DE.jpeg

CC02342B-D69E-4C27-8909-44A7D9370132.jpeg

4A87C937-550C-4BD8-951E-700E4B151939.jpeg

ED2A0072-D607-4AAF-A02D-F903F8DF20A3.jpeg

DBAE8407-B16E-42DC-A302-E343F4B77F50.jpeg

• Like 7
  • WOW! 1

48 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Noel, Are sure sure you aint got a 009 layout on the go there!! They look like something Peco would have in their Catalogue. Cute Aren't They!

George-I have enough to do with two layouts on the go....I’m happy just to drive the Maam cross version when I get the chance...!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another productive weekend at Maam cross station when the volunteers installed a ground frame which was connected to the points leading to the platform, the ground frame is fully interlocked with the points and can only be released by the insertion of an ETS staff, well done to all concerned. 
The photos show the first train to operate over the interlocked points. 

99F23B35-0296-4D18-819F-A285DDE85921.jpeg

6FEAB067-4E0E-4E6A-8C6D-EB877C0CD927.jpeg

7AE03722-5970-41B2-9D3A-7E67B801DF9F.jpeg

D29B8D6A-C6B9-4E36-9997-94BB9CB5B06D.jpeg

BFD45ECD-D421-4A28-83E0-419745D0ECDA.jpeg

841657E6-EC93-4A32-BB86-0884DE78A951.jpeg

AF2F4563-70C1-466D-B618-2AA561F11F9A.jpeg

DB835ACB-54DD-4745-A98C-B00D728FCD45.jpeg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

A small update to progress at Maam Cross station,

A number of volunteers completed various important tasks around the station including strimming of grass and the resurfacing of the platform,

A new station sign was installed on the completed platform 

Here we have a black & white image of the train from Galway which has just arrived at the platform-taken in July 2021 not 1935😜😜

37139923-5526-45A5-ABE5-2EE686748BCB.jpeg

• Like 15

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 11:42 AM, ttc0169 said:

A small update to progress at Maam Cross station,

A number of volunteers completed various important tasks around the station including strimming of grass and the resurfacing of the platform,

A new station sign was installed on the completed platform 

Here we have a black & white image of the train from Galway which has just arrived at the platform-taken in July 2021 not 1935😜😜

37139923-5526-45A5-ABE5-2EE686748BCB.jpeg

Brilliant!! Would love to head up for a look!! Is the eventual plan to have standard gauge track running for the entire length of the line? 

Also how long is the proposed length of line that the railway will run for? 

Is it open for business yet and if not have ye an expected opening time for narrow and/or standard gauge running?

Sorry for all the questions but it’s a fascinating project and I wish everyone involved the best of luck with it!! Keep safe!

Edited by 226 Abhann na Suire
Typo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, 226 Abhann na Suire said:

Brilliant!! Would love to head up for a look!! Is the eventual plan to have standard gauge track running for the entire length of the line? 

Also how long is the proposed length of line that the railway will run for? 

Is it open for business yet and if not have ye an expected opening time for narrow and/or standard gauge running?

Sorry for all the questions but it’s a fascinating project and I wish everyone involved the best of luck with it!! Keep safe!

It is operational, but only on a temporary track of about a quarter mile. It is not yet open to the public as the certification process is still in progress.

While funding will dictate what happens and when, and this is currently not exactly plentiful (donations, lads?), the plan is to operate initially as a short narrow-gauge "train ride", but the eventual aim is to have a proper 5'3" line, for which several carriages have already been secured by agreement with their owners. Motive power might be a "G" class initially, or a "C" even.

This, of course, is a long way off. There is a small but dedicated band of people involved in this project - a few of whom are regulars on here, as it happens. But there is a LOT to do, and this type of thing even with volunteer workers, does not come cheap.

Any takers, for example, for paying a low loader to take track panels from anywhere on the IE network away out into Connemara - or a carriage?

Building a loco shed and replica station? We need MUNNY!

However, it's under way and that's the main thing. New pairs of hands for work parties, and new open wallets, are always welcome!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, MOGUL said:

Might not be able to pay for a low loader as a dedicated movement.. But I could maybe swing something 

Mogul, if you could PM either me or ttc0169 on here, we can pass your info on to Jim Deegan, if you would be in a position to lend any assistance? He will very greatly appreciate it.

Right now, he's looking for a large marquee-type thing for Saturday 18th September - as am I; it's for the book launch there.... one of those big things without sides...........

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

IRM was delighted to team up with our friends at IWT to sponsor the delivery of three truckloads of previously purchased track panels from Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail's permanent way depot in Portlaoise to the Maam Cross Connemara Railway Project.

IMG_4631.thumb.jpg.e8eabe9da701431dd194b7d6eb4ffc8a.jpg

The Maam Cross project now has enough track to complete phase one of their goal of relaying a stretch of the Connemara Railway but are in urgent need of funds to continue this excellent railway preservation project. If you can help out in any way financially or with volunteer time, please check out www.connemararailway.ie

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2