rpsi B134 loco

Rate this topic

mphoey

Is this story true?   When General Motors Corporation EMD representatives accepted the order for 15 Diesel-electric locomotives,  they asked  ' What livery do you want?'    C.I.E. said 'We will get back to you on that!'    After some time with committees , consultants,  artists, PR People and Board Members, C.I.E. contacted GMC EMD to pass on the decision about the livery, only to be told that the locomotives had already been shipped from the factory.?

The following item may be of interest:

Journal of the Irish Railway Record Society,  No.28, Spring 1961, Vol 6  page 49

Recent Developments on Irish Railways

CORAS IOMPAIR EIREANN

In January – February General Motors Corporation, U.S.A. delivered fifteen Diesel-electric 950 h.p. locomotives of the conventional Bo-Bo type – the makers’ plates affixed to the engines, however, call them “0-4-4-0”.   They are painted in a grey-and-yellow livery, and have a single cab right at one end; this latter feature has already met with criticism , and it has been suggested that, for appearance sake, it would be well to make use of the turntables and (for at least the named and other important trains) run with the cab at the trailing end.   These comments, although not of great moment, are recorded here to show how the minds of observers are becoming accustomed to new methods and things, and comparisons drawn in quite the traditional way.

The new locomotives are numbered B121 to B135.  After some trial runs, they were used on regular services on the Northern section from February 20, and Midland section the following day.  The first to reach Belfast was B133 on St. Patrick’s Day.   After the tests, none has done any regular work on the Southern section, but a few Bray suburban trains have been taken by them.

On page 51:  The new No. B126 was tried non-stop to Belfast with 8 bogies on March 21, in 2h. 16m., the return to Dublin being rather better at 2h.7m.

DSERetc

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

I have not come across that story, however, what i might add is as follows.

Firstly, the initial experiment with "black'n'tan" was experimental. Had it not worn well (it did!) or had there been some other issue it is likely they'd have "gone back to the drawing board". So, there was a concerted effort back then to completely try to re-invent the railway system in the public eye as something dynamic, modern clean and speedy, once steam was finally eliminated at around the same time.

Secondly, the grey and yellow livery was almost certainly another experimental livery, as the 121s were NOT the only things to carry it! The tour buses for CIE tours also wore it. Notwithstanding earlier discussions, once in use for a while, the grey became scruffy, as had the "silver" of the late 1950s (though even more so!), and at first repaint they became black'n'tan.

Thus, it is doubtful - though certainly possible - that it originated in the USA. After all, the one-off "brown" 071 livery when new, and that with non-standard CIE emblem, was indeed an American "interpretation" of the CORRECT livery details that they had been given. Again, first repaint was into "proper" CIE livery.

52 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

It looks like an oddball placeholder livery, not matching anything on rail. Could be a grain of truth there.

It's like works grey with a bit of yellow detail and wasp stripes thrown over it rather than anything a great deal of thought went into.

I would very much hope so. Minister - anything that a "great deal of thought went into", and ended up like that, wouldn't say a lot about the imaginations of whoever did the "thinking"! I never liked the livery that much, personally - I think it's very drab - but of course I am very interested in it from a historical perspective, plus the fact that if I want a 121 to operate within the timescale I prefer on my layout, then it's the only show in town!

49 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

It looks like an oddball placeholder livery, not matching anything on rail. Could be a grain of truth there.

It's like works grey with a bit of yellow detail and wasp stripes thrown over it rather than anything a great deal of thought went into.

The Minister is probably correct with a placeholder livery, it does not quite match any of the standard GM American or Export colour schemes.

The single cab may have been to keep costs down and speed delivery using standard jigs and parts while GM worked on developing the double cabbed B141 Class which were delivered approx 2 years later.

CIE engaged Scandinavian (Swedish?) consultants to come up with a new corporate image for its road and rail services in the early 60s.

The consultants apparently recommended paint buses and passenger trains in the same black and tan scheme, but the powers that be in the passenger road section had other ideas with Dublin City Services, Provincial, CIE Tours each adapting their own distinctive liveries.

12 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

About the scruffiest one on my flickr but at least its the right loco!

Sligo B134

Sligo B134 img122

Ah yes, I agree, I have seen that many times and should have remembered it. The bus version of the livery from an old advertising poster, wasn't around to photograph one of these

IMG_7808.jpg

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mayner said:

The Minister is probably correct with a placeholder livery, it does not quite match any of the standard GM American or Export colour schemes.

The single cab may have been to keep costs down and speed delivery using standard jigs and parts while GM worked on developing the double cabbed B141 Class which were delivered approx 2 years later.

CIE engaged Scandinavian (Swedish?) consultants to come up with a new corporate image for its road and rail services in the early 60s.

The consultants apparently recommended paint buses and passenger trains in the same black and tan scheme, but the powers that be in the passenger road section had other ideas with Dublin City Services, Provincial, CIE Tours each adapting their own distinctive liveries.

Apart from the two tone green, there doesn't appear to be any across the board livery used by both rail and bus.

The tour bus "banana boat" livery compliments the coachwork, together with the individual river names looks intentionally chosen to stand out from the sea of green buses, it was a favourite subject for publicity photos and at least one poster. Beyond some GM promotional material, the 121 in grey/yellow didn't get much of the publicity machine limelight for what was a brand new loco. The CIE bus red/white scheme may be a carry over from IOC days, perhaps the city services dark blue/cream was GNRI motor coach dept inspired.

As an aside, the grey/yellow 121 does make an appearance of a few seconds in the old Soviet Union-esque RTE National Anthem reel.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Mayner said:

I think the golden brown/black/white livery dates from mid-1961, while the CIE "corporate image" based on the new "broken wheel" emblem and the colours white, light grey, dark grey, golden brown and black dates from late-1963.

ON SALE NOW

It is with great pleasure that the RPSI can officially announce production in model form of our 121 class locomotive B134. The locomotive will be released in the grey/yellow original livery and in the condition it will emerge from overhaul in Inchicore Works. It will be packed in a specially branded box with the RPSI crest.

The production of this model has been made possible through the generosity of Paddy Murphy of Murphy Models. Paddy has given the Society the opportunity to raise much needed funds and produce this model by giving over some of his production run to facilitate our locomotive. With the suspension of our normal operations, this model will be a much needed vital stream of income this year.

This production run will be a one off and when they are gone they are gone. There will be just 300 of these models produced which will be the smallest number of the forthcoming 121 model to be released by Murphy Models. The locomotives will be a great addition to layouts and also to accompany the recently produced cravens coaches in RPSI livery. The level of detail on these models sets a new level for Irish modelling and they are set to be highly collectable and sought after.

The price of the models will be €189.99/£165 each. Postage will be €10 (RoI), £10 (UK), €15.50 (Europe/Rest of World).

As their way of supporting the RPSI, Irish Railway Models have very kindly offered to process all orders and process secure payment online and dispatch the models on our behalf. They have all the systems in place to deal with the models. We very much appreciated this help and thank IRM. All money will go directly to the RPSI and IRM will absorb all associated costs as their way of supporting the RPSI.

link to sale page

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/products/b134-class-121-locomotive-rpsi-grey-yellow

• Like 3