rpsi B134 loco

Rate this topic

mphoey

RPSI B134 UPDATE - MURPHY MODEL'S

It is with great pleasure that the RPSI can officially announce production in model form our 121 class locomotive B134. The locomotive will be released in the grey/yellow original livery and in the condition it will emerge from overhaul in Inchicore Works. It will be packed in a specially branded box with the RPSI crest.

The production of this model has been made possible through the generosity of Paddy Murphy of Murphy Models. Paddy has given the society the opportunity to raise much needed funds and produce this model by giving over some of his production run to facilitate our locomotive. With the suspension of our normal operations, this model will be a much needed vital stream of income this year to the society.

This production run will be a one off and when they are gone they are gone. There will be just 300 of these models produced which will be the smallest number of the forthcoming 121 model to be released by Murphy Models. The locomotives will be a great addition to layouts and also to accompany the recently produced cravens coaches in RPSI livery. The level of detail on these models sets a new level for Irish modelling and with just 300 produced these models are set to be highly collectable and sought after.

The models are currently in pre production stage and it is expected that a sample will be sent over within a month. Once the model is approved the full production run will follow soon after.

The RPSI is currently setting up a system to process orders via credit card and for people to have the ability to order securely online. Once we have this in place, the order details and order form will be available.

The price of the models will be €189.99/£165.00 each. Posatge will be €10 (ROI), £10 (UK/N.Ireland), €15.50 (Europe/Rest of World).

Please support the society by purchasing one of these limited models and at the same time adding a very special locomotive to your collection.

rp1.jpg

rp2.jpg

rp3.jpg

• Like 14

25 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Martin, presumably the grey version will not have the side handrails? 

That's 134 in its soon to be condition. So it has all of the present day mods but a preserved livery. 

Edited by gm171 kk
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Martin, presumably the grey version will not have the side handrails? 

It will have the side handrails and the rear cab windows which were plated over in IE service are being re-instated. It is basically the original grey livery but in current spec as regards LED lights etc.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, iarnrod said:

It will have the side handrails and the rear cab windows which were plated over in IE service are being re-instated. It is basically the original grey livery but in current spec as regards LED lights etc.

So, RPSI condition.

Thanks for the clarification.

I might not be running this one in RPSI condition but I am glad to hear this as I was wondering some time ago how they RPSI was faring in our current pandemic restricted society. Nonetheless I will be ordering one to support this effort. Well done Murphy Models for supporting the RPSI ! 👍

• Like 3

On 7/6/2020 at 9:28 PM, Robert Shrives said:

Brilliant move and bound to sell well - I will place an order once that is in place.  It will good to see the real loco in the future. And no doubt it be kept a lot cleaner than some locos in the past .

Robert 

Indeed; a light grey livery on a working locomotive was just as nonsensically impractical as the silver livery on earlier loco classes. It actually gets to the stage where a pristine one on a layout barely looks realistic!

Now - for the very serious bravery awards - WHO will be the first to weather a 121 (OR a silver A!) to a state of apparently shocking, filthy cosmetic neglect!

I recall a Western being weathered for a gala  so perhaps RSPI can be encouraged to weather it in a few years for a season.  The class 50 gang on the SVR have painted locos several times in past years to suit sponsors or specific publicity events. So hopefully the 121 will get the chance to rotate colours over the years.        

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I agree, Robert, but I’d say it would be a brave man who would suggest it to the RPSI guys! 😅

But money talks !  and unlike the infamous police 37 where the white paint did not was off the Western was returned to its blue glory a few days later. I would think a light tack vinyl coat to protect the base coat for most effects. 

Looking forward to ordering one when the good folk have an opportunity to safely update systems. I wonder if the driver trailer that is conserved at  the West Clare could make a comeback?   https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4241/34650105654_bc012ee185_b.jpg

Robert 

• Like 1

Nice idea by the RPSI but I can't help but think another loco on top of the already heavy release forecast along with incoming rolling Stock is pretty crazy.

Good news on being able to take a Credit Card too as this makes it much easier unlike the cravens release.

Fingers crossed I get some Green Backs for the big 50 next month!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Nice idea by the RPSI but I can't help but think another loco on top of the already heavy release forecast along with incoming rolling Stock is pretty crazy.

Good news on being able to take a Credit Card too as this makes it much easier unlike the cravens release.

Fingers crossed I get some Green Backs for the big 50 next month!

Thats the worst begging letter I have ever seen man!!!!

• Funny 2

On 7/10/2020 at 10:06 AM, Mike 84C said:

Hey!, JHB  you saw I filthied  up a green A class. I very nearly sprayed it silver, maybe I should have , but I like the green.

My dilemma will be getting one of these silver beauties and getting it professionally weathered within an inch of its life to a state of absolute filth!

53 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

My dilemma will be getting one of these silver beauties and getting it professionally weathered within an inch of its life to a state of absolute filth!

Jonathan most photos of delivery grey 121s showed the locos were fairly clean. Possible pride in the new machines and modern technology compared to the metrovic junk heaps, the GMs must have seemed ultra modern a bit like comparing Audi's to the MV lada's. Perhaps they kept them cleaner in the early 60s. Even the black'n'tan' 121s always looked fairly smart, it wasn't until the 1980s and later the orange GMs especially tippex era locos were allowed visually to look almost like scrap. I've a grey 121 in the pipeline but it will be getting a very gentle weathering.

CIE OLD DIESEL IN WHITE.JPG

Just a bit of weathering on the under frame, bogies and lower valance, topsides almost pristine

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

On 7/10/2020 at 7:49 AM, Robert Shrives said:

Do not worry about "If" get one now as they will all sell and you will regret it as and when more cravens appear.

Robert  

i would watch carefully as with a much shorter run for sale and the only one to have original livery with modern detail it will proberly sell quickly it can be run on modern layouts as well as a bonus .  re a second run of cravens i have asked but i believe the issue was interior exterior changes for the bar and diner

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mphoey said:

.  re a second run of cravens i have asked but i believe the issue was interior exterior changes for the bar and diner

They can do another set with 3 standards no problem. 1514 and 1522 will most likely never happen. 

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Jonathan most photos of delivery grey 121s showed the locos were fairly clean. Possible pride in the new machines and modern technology compared to the metrovic junk heaps, the GMs must have seemed ultra modern a bit like comparing Audi's to the MV lada's. Perhaps they kept them cleaner in the early 60s. Even the black'n'tan' 121s always looked fairly smart, it wasn't until the 1980s and later the orange GMs especially tippex era locos were allowed visually to look almost like scrap. I've a grey 121 in the pipeline but it will be getting a very gentle weathering.

CIE OLD DIESEL IN WHITE.JPG

Just a bit of weathering on the under frame, bogies and lower valance, topsides almost pristine

Sadly, though, they didn't stay that way long! I will have one pristine and one weathered - I hope!

1 hour ago, mphoey said:

if 3 more standards were to be done it would be 1506 , 1523 and 1541 the only 3 coaches to have carried both the dublin livery and the corporate livery

would look great

Preserved B134 + 6 RPSI cravens + orange steam van 

3 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Sadly, though, they didn't stay that way long! I will have one pristine and one weathered - I hope!

I'm actually inclined to agree with Noel as all the pictures of the 121 in the original livery that I've see (and they're not as numerous as later of course), seem to show it overall in good condition or at least not in a completely dilapidated state that many locos seemed to be in (at times) in the 70s and later.

Now silver A class and green A class is another thing entirely, I agree. Lots of photos of them seemingly in a very poor state. I wonder if the Crossley-engined locos were dirty in terms of exhaust emissions or whether it was because they ran alongside some not yet replaced steam, which died in the republic anyway within a couple of years after the introduction of the 121 Class? 

Edited by DiveController

I was thinking not so much of them as brand new, folks, but more like you’ll see in pics of them in 1965/7 on the Malliw-Waterford line.

l agree, of course, they looked gleaming when new - especially compared to most of what surrounded them! You’re both totally right on that score.

2 hours ago, DiveController said:

Now silver A class and green A class is another thing entirely, I agree. Lots of photos of them seemingly in a very poor state. I wonder if the Crossley-engined locos were dirty in terms of exhaust emissions or whether it was because they ran alongside some not yet replaced steam, which died in the republic anyway within a couple of years after the introduction of the 121 Class? 

Both the Crossley and GM powered Metrovicks tended to become a lot dirtier when in service than the pure-bread GM locos, both had 2 stroke engines which tend to smoke rather than throw out oil when worn. Grimy 001 & (B)201 Class locos tended to outnumber clean members of both classes during the Supertrain era.

I think the Metrovick body profile with raised engine room vents curved roof profile and slab sides and possibly oil leaks were the main factors soot and grime that collected on the roof tended to wash down over the sides and ends of the locos in typical Irish weather.

• Informative 1