Festival of Model Irish Railways

Rate this topic

Old Blarney

Model Railway Day

10:00 - 17:00, Saturday 10 November 2012

Ulster Folk & Transport Museum

Ireland's biggest one day model railway exhibition will feature over 30 railway layouts and associated exhibits.

This Bi-annual exhibition is well worth visiting. Held in the Railway Hall of the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum you can see the real thing and the models too - Scale 1:1 and everything in between.

The Museum is beside Cultra Railway Station.

Guest hidden-agenda

This is normally a good show and i hope it is, after the Carrickfergus Disaster i have set my sights a lot lower on what to expect at future shows in the North.

I think "Carrick Disaster" is harsh. I think we all forget that not so long ago there was 1 show per year. What I see at shows is layouts presented by the same people year after year and its not easy to find new layouts to show. The Ulster Model Club should be encouraged to find new layouts and continue with a show that does attract in the general public in the town and just might sow a seed in the mind of some of the children and hopefully future modellers.

If you have never been to Cultra before if its the same as other year's bring a torch because the lighting is pathetic.

Guest hidden-agenda
I think "Carrick Disaster" is harsh. I think we all forget that not so long ago there was 1 show per year. What I see at shows is layouts presented by the same people year after year and its not easy to find new layouts to show. The Ulster Model Club should be encouraged to find new layouts and continue with a show that does attract in the general public in the town and just might sow a seed in the mind of some of the children and hopefully future modellers.

If you have never been to Cultra before if its the same as other year's bring a torch because the lighting is pathetic.

The main reason i state the show as a disaster is the amount of people who did,nt attend compared to previous years. Last year you could,nt swing a cat for crowds and this year it was the total opposite and remember the show is free to enter. I have to say the amount of traders and lay-outs was a bit lower than previous years but i can understand the amount of work and cost involved for both and if the traders dont make money they wont attend.I have nothing but admiration for the Ulster Model Club and i want to see more people come into the hobby but if no one comes to the show it could be a reason for it to be abandoned by the council. I have attended Cultra and i agree the lighting is terrible and it can be a bit tight crowd wise but a great setting and brilliant show so hopefully it will pull in the crowds and be a success as in previous years.

• 4 weeks later...

Folks

I'm having to bend to family pressure and stay in "sunny" Surrey this weekend, rather than be at Cultra. So, I'm sorry if any of you hoped to see Provincial Wagons there!

I will put a notice on my website as soon as Norton will let me have access to my own site! Fxxxing computers - or I should say software!

Normal service available by post, of course and I have good stocks of everything you can see on the site.

If you live in Ireland - GO - if only to see Bleach Green - I've had a sneak preview through a set of photos. brilliant doesn't start to describe it!

Enjoy yourselves!

Leslie

This bi-annual show was very well attended and was excellent in exhibits and surroundings.

I met so many Site Members and other enthusiast that it was difficult to make progress round the exhibits without meeting someone.

I post some photographs of the exhibits that caught my eye and make no apologies for concentrating on two particular exhibits: Bleach Green and Old Blarney and both vied to top exhibit for different reasons, Bleach Green for the layout and Old Blarney for such an extensive range of Irish stock.

BLEACH GREEN

FestivalofModelRailways003.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways005.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways006.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways010.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways012.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways015.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways017.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways019.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways021.jpg

A shot of Ken who did the layout construction and Colm who did the rolling stock looking at the results of a years work

FestivalofModelRailways022.jpg

ROSSLARE STRAND

FestivalofModelRailways029.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways031.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways032.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways033.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways034.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways035.jpg

IRISH LIGHT RAILWAYS

[FestivalofModelRailways038.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways039.jpg

OLD BLARNEY

FestivalofModelRailways045.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways047.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways049.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways050.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways055.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways057.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways059.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways062.jpg

CRANLEYBROOK

FestivalofModelRailways072.jpg

FIVEMILETOWN STATION

FestivalofModelRailways077.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways078.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways079.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways080.jpg

FestivalofModelRailways081.jpg

SOMEBODY ALL THE WAY FROM ENNIS

FestivalofModelRailways101.jpg

SHOWING PERTH’S OLD BLARNEY LAYOUT –ONLY A SMALL FRACTION OF STOCK WAS RUN I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO SEE WHAT WAS IN ALL THOSE UNOPEN BOXES

FestivalofModelRailways102.jpg

Great to see so many friend from the South who made the track to Co. Down, thanks for coming, your presence added to a great day.

Looks good nice to see the models mixed in with the full sized locos, I had been following the Bleach Green thread on RM Web, its great to see a signature model of an Irish prototype on an epic scale like Ambergate or Tebay, perhaps its time for other groups to get together model such classics as Westland Row to Grand Canal Street or Rathpeacon to Kilbarry Tunnel :)

For me it had to be Old Blarney, Bleach Green was a fantastic layout but it just looks to clinical maybe when its a 100% finished and a little weathering done to it and the rolling stock, it will have just that little bit extra to make realistic looking. When it is finished its going to set the bench mark for all other clubs on the Emerald isle to follow as Bleach Green has just upped the anti. This was evident at the show the 2 layouts Old Blarney and Bleach Green had the biggest crows around them all the other layouts although great just had to take 2nd fiddle on the day.

Shot some video when I get it edited I will post it up later for you guys great as always to see you all again

looks like a great show with some great layouts. always liked rosslare strand...thanks for posting the pics kirley. i hope you gave 'Meadb ' a kiss from me! i have to get there and see that big girl soon. was there any modern traction on bleach green? i was betting it would be all steamers!

Steam and Railcars of course - it's the NCC Group