DJD's Running Sessions

Rate this topic

DJ Dangerous

1 hour ago, StevieB said:

I take my hat off to you, sir, for your services to the felines of the Canaries. We had three Bengals, Lily will be 16 later this year, Bayley was 13 when we lost him to kidney failure two years ago, while Lucas will be 12 later this year.

Stephen

Thanks, @StevieB. Kidney failure is just awful. It's almost always too late to do anything by the time it's detected. I have lost so many to it over the years.

Around five odd years back - maybe slightly more, maybe slightly less - I started introducing kidney food into their diet. It was a slow process, increasing the percentage over time, but their dry food is now around 80% to 90% kidney food.

Half that 90% is Royal Canin and half is Purina. The remaining 10% to 20% is a cocktail of Purina Gastrointestinal, Purina Hipoalergenico, Afiniti Advance and Optima Nova.

Since the change in diet, kidney failure has become one factor of several for those passing away, instead of one of the main factors. The amount passing solely due to kidney failure is almost zero.

Four passed away this past year, one of undetermined age, multiple organ failure, died within weeks of me finding him, one of kidney failure, aged approx 14, two of multiple organ failure, aged a little over 15.

The vets reckon the last three would have been dead years ago if not for the change in diet.

Sorry, waffling a bit there!

35 minutes ago, Keano30 said:

What a fantastic collection, it seems a shame not to have the space to run them on a big layout. If you are ever selling any of the loco's or passenger carriages let me know 😉  

Cheers! Well, I don't intend passing away myself before I get to 120 odd, so you're probably in for a bit of a wait. I've already nominated @murphaph as the unlucky one who has to fly down here and help the family sell it all, after my rotting corpse has been removed, in case all of the sausages and rashers reduce my optimistic expiration estimate.

The display cabinets will FORM the bulk of the layout when done, running along most of both walls, if all goes to plan. Two new cabinets every three months sounds like an attainable goal.

Then it's just six removeable sections to cover the areas that I can't / won't be putting cabinets.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Well done all round- on the fantastic display and the work for the cats 👏👏

Cheers, @Rob. Only do it all because I live too far from East Wall! Hint hint.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Well done all round- on the fantastic display and the work for the cats 👏👏

We have four cats one rescue and 3 strays at home in New Zealand and 2 one rescue and 1 wild Tom in North Dakota. Family had taken pity and began feeding the Tom during the winter months and now had his own door and bed in the garage.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mayner said:

We have four cats one rescue and 3 strays at home in New Zealand and 2 one rescue and 1 wild Tom in North Dakota. Family had taken pity and began feeding the Tom during the winter months and now had his own door and bed in the garage.

A family with big hearts, John. I’ve always found that one, two, three or four involve a very similar level of care, but as the numbers climb, and some develop special needs, it can become quite daunting. If the numbers at home get over 20 odd, it becomes unmanageable, for me at least.

Speaking of unappreciative ingrates, one here has allergies and needs to be helped with cleaning her fur. She always seems happier AFTER a clean, but during is a different story…

IMG_0756.jpeg

IMG_0757.jpeg

Well, Drillbot survived another day, overheating but didn’t melt, all four lateral pieces are drilled. Think he’s just like me, getting on in his years, overheats easily.

Small momentary panic when I thought I’d left my saw thing at work but I found it!

IMG_0776.jpeg

11 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Well, I got distracted last night thanks to the excellent second season of Reacher, so my progress was limited to measuring, marking and scoring.

Everything is stacked and ready for assembly, but with today being Reyes / Three Kings, I’m not sure that whipping out Drilly McMelterson would be appropriate.

In theory, only three of the four lateral panels need to be cut, but cutting them all gives more modular flexibility further down the line.

Get it? Down the line?

IMG_0730.jpeg

IMG_0731.jpeg

IMG_0745.jpeg

Dave, I thought old Drilly Mc Melterson had expired?🤨 I see you have a Bosch now instead. I have one very similar- Its about 30 odd years old and has never let me down yet. Cabinets looking well😎

• Funny 1

Thanks for your thoughts on reducing the role of kidney failure in feline deaths, very interesting. We did something similar for our Bayley and managed to keep him alive and comfortable for a good few years. He was a lovely boy and we still miss him. His passing left a big hole in our lives.

Stephen

• Like 1

3 hours ago, derek said:

Dave, I thought old Drilly Mc Melterson had expired?🤨 I see you have a Bosch now instead. I have one very similar- Its about 30 odd years old and has never let me down yet. Cabinets looking well😎

That’s him, @derek! Aul’ Mr. McMelterson is an old Bosch.

Probably just caked with sand and sediment inside, needs a bit of a cleaning out.

I think I got a photo the other day showing the sand floating in the air, must check.

2 minutes ago, StevieB said:

Thanks for your thoughts on reducing the role of kidney failure in feline deaths, very interesting. We did something similar for our Bayley and managed to keep him alive and comfortable for a good few years. He was a lovely boy and we still miss him. His passing left a big hole in our lives.

Stephen

Lovely, @StevieB, he would have known. They always sense your intent.

Interestingly, I have found that having a mix rather than a single type of food stimulates their appetites, even if the mix isn’t even.

Bayley was lucky to have you!

😺❤️❤️❤️

• Like 1

We had to give Bayley renal medication by syringe every day and he played his part by co-operating and making it so easy for us to help him. No other one of our 12+ cats has been so good like that. 

Enough about our love for our feline friends, let’s get back to Irish railway modelling. Never before has there been so much support for such a small market. Long may it continue.

Stephen

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StevieB said:

We had to give Bayley renal medication by syringe every day and he played his part by co-operating and making it so easy for us to help him. No other one of our 12+ cats has been so good like that. 

Enough about our love for our feline friends, let’s get back to Irish railway modelling. Never before has there been so much support for such a small market. Long may it continue.

Stephen

They don’t like the aul’ IRC Vet but the Semintra goes down OK.

Moving on…

I like the assembly a lot more than the prep!

IMG_0861.jpeg

• 1 month later...