Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

Patrick: 

Interesting to see an Irish layout set up for classical 'walk around' operation common enough for American layouts in basements and garages/garden sheds but probably unique for an Irish layout. We are half serious thinking of spending some of our time each year in the States when I retire and build a layout in my Father-in-laws basement in North Dakota, listen to trains on the CP line at the back of the house and watch Fargo on the tv while snowed in in the Winter.:D

1 hour ago, patrick said:

Any thoughts about what you would model if you spent some time in N Dakota John?

Probably build the RGS from Placerville to Rico & the Telluride Branch in 1:20.3  (if I hire an Antonov An223 :Dto shift my large scale collection from Hamilton to Fargo) there is enough room and plenty of provisions  in the basement. 

Would be an interesting foil on You Tube to Bill Scobies RGS in Canada https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvuhJqMNJqc

Model shops in the state only appear to stock BNSF, though being me would probably model some obscure shortline or offshoot of the CP or Milwaukee Road

• 3 weeks later...

Needing a reason to run the IRM cement bubbles on my ficticious South Watreford line led me on an internet search for cement manufacturing in Ireland. Drinagh, South of Wexford had a cement factory at one time  and according to Johnsons Atlas and Gazetteer had a siding until 1911. In my alternative reality cement continuead to be manufactured here until the mid seventies when the plant at Platin came online. The photos show a Drinagh Cork cement train meet with the Cork Waterford goods which is shunting at Glen More.                  We are also adding a few vans of beet pulp to occasional beet specials. Beet pulp was a byproduct of the sugar manufacturing process which was sold to beet farmers for cattle feed. 

0224181544.jpg

0224181536a.jpg

0224181536b.jpg

0224181541.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 7
  • WOW! 1

Absolutely love this layout, it just goes to show that sometimes keeping things simple can be very very effective.Some  modellers over think and over complicate their layouts nowadays resulting in too much trackwork cramped into too little space.For me this layout not only looks great but oozes atmosphere to go with it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jason brady said:

Absolutely love this layout, it just goes to show that sometimes keeping things simple can be very very effective.Some  modellers over think and over complicate their layouts nowadays resulting in too much trackwork cramped into too little space.For me this layout not only looks great but oozes atmosphere to go with it.

Couldn't agree more. Captures the atmosphere of CIE in the 60s and 70s perfectly.

The brown Palvan (with the beet pulp) - is that scratchbuilt or a kit, Patrick?

This layout oozes more atmosphere, and historically accurate atmosphere, than most; I've said it before and I'll say it again. I also look forward to watching it develop.

I'm interested in the building adjacent to the little oil siding, as my layout will have such a feature to give me an excuse for a weekly oil wagon arriving with CIE bus fuel. Is the small brick building based on any such prototype?

2 hours ago, Glenderg said:

is it just me or does the track look 21mm in these snaps? stunning work

The HO sleeper size and spacing creates an illusion of making the gauge look wider and the distance longer than it actually is which works very well where there is a single track like in the last photo.

The correct 4mm sleeper length and sleeper spacing tends to make OO gauge look like 3'6" Cape Gauge used in South Africa and my part of the World.

Patrick, loving these shots of your layout.  A simple plan with lots of detail creating a very attractive scene. Can I ask, what was your method for producing the platform surfaces?  It looks like paper to me but I just can't quite tell. 

Paul

On 2/28/2018 at 7:27 PM, jhb171achill said:

I'm interested in the building adjacent to the little oil siding, as my layout will have such a feature to give me an excuse for a weekly oil wagon arriving with CIE bus fuel. Is the small brick building based on any such prototype?

That is a tar depot based on the one from the North Kerry yard in Tralee. John Mayner posted a picture of it on the site a few years ago which I used to estimate dimensions.

0302180131a_Burst01.jpg

0302180131b_Burst01.jpg

• Like 2

I recall the steam heat tubes on these tanks to keep it warm and reasonable runny to flow. Also recall some fun with flames to do the same thing at a depot in Birmingham on a snowy day - Nannies of the state today would be wet through!!

Good idea for small wagon terminal and ideal for the rural scene.  As ever great pics and thanks for inspirations

Robert

I never fail to enjoy the wonderful photo scenes on this fabulous layout.  Patrick, your scenic work, ground foliage, rock outcrops, walls and hedge rows are second to none, and one of the best examples of how realistic railway scenery in rural Ireland can be achieved. A master class.

One could be forgiven for thinking the photos above were from @jhb171achill's book 'Rails Through the West'.  You have captured the golden era of Irish railways perfectly.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Noel said:

I never fail to enjoy the wonderful photo scenes on this fabulous layout.  Patrick, your scenic work, ground foliage, rock outcrops, walls and hedge rows are second to none, and one of the best examples of how realistic railway scenery in rural Ireland can be achieved. A master class.

One could be forgiven for thinking the photos above were from @jhb171achill's book 'Rails Through the West'.  You have captured the golden era of Irish railways perfectly.

Absolutely - I couldn't agree more.

(Volume Three: "Rails through Glen More".....)

My own pending effort is intended to recreate exactly the same period and scenes. If it ends up half as well, I'll be happy.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

15 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Absolutely - I couldn't agree more.

(Volume Three: "Rails through Glen More".....)

My own pending effort is intended to recreate exactly the same period and scenes. If it ends up half as well, I'll be happy.

I'm waiting for "Rails Through Waterford" covering Ballinacourty New Ross Rosslare and Bennettsbridge and everything inbetween!

Edited by patrick
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, aclass007 said:

A big +1 to that! 

Hmmmmmmmm....!!!

There should be a third volume, yes, and some of the above will feature - IF - we get time. YES - It's been discussed; you read my mind!

Now, to be fair, if it happens it won't be for a couple of years due to other commitments in the case of both authors.

• Informative 1

14 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Hmmmmmmmm....!!!

There should be a third volume, yes, and some of the above will feature - IF - we get time. YES - It's been discussed; you read my mind!

Now, to be fair, if it happens it won't be for a couple of years due to other commitments in the case of both authors.

It will be worth the wait, no doubt.... You can list one copy as pre-ordered, anyway.... :tumbsup:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2018 at 5:33 AM, PaulC said:

Can I ask, what was your method for producing the platform surfaces?  It looks like paper to me but I just can't quite tell. 

Paul

The platform surface is heavy high quality card from a craft store which was painted grey. The photo of Grange shows how the platform, station forecourt and approach road was cut from one piece of card. The platform edging is from Peco.

0321181431a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative 1