Return of Model Irish Railways

Rate this topic

StevieB

Nelson I got a letter accompanying a transfer catalogue form Ian a few months ago, He is to be trading from the same address and phone number. Catalogue shows the same range of transfers, name plates and some accessories. he is also reintroducing some of the wagons. TDR

Edited by The Derry Road

just so they can advertise what their intentions are for the range (ie, are brass sides coming back, any resin or just whitemetal?)

Have to ask why they are even bothering with a lot of items, given some items are now available RTR and other manufacturers have moved in with kits and transfers. Also the previous supplier of the brass overlays is no longer in business

Surely you must have something positive to say? In my eyes the introduction of any kits, transfers etc... is very much a welcoming prospect regardless.

The standard of both MIR kits and decals was not great then and especially not now. Anything else?

Are you sure that the same moulds are being used? And if so, a little detailing won't do any harm.

Hi DC.

Over all it has to be welcome news.

A lot of the popular kits they used to sell are now redundant as high quality RTR models are already available, or due within the next few months. More than detailing or new moulds needed to bring some up to todays standards :confused: Below George about to rescue this loco that derailed and ran into a chocolate orange fountain. :)

You will love this one then Noel, Touch it up a bit is the instruction.......Eh . . .

IMG_0084_zpskmoppire.jpg

Redundant - about to be replaced by RTR from Murphy Models

P1070223_zps7592befc.jpg

From what I've read many folk were more than happy and satisfied with their MIR kits back in the day, especially if they were talented builders themselves or commissioned a talented model maker to build and finish them. However I suspect the bar and expectations have since been raised, yet there probably are some past MIR kits that would fill gaps in in what is available today, so that is a welcome development. There is room for all vendors, and I appreciate some folks prefer and enjoy kit building.

Redundant - about to be replaced by RTR from IRM (below MIR bubbles but built and finished by a skilled pro - George)

DSC_8822.jpg

From my limited experience many kits available from other vendors can be quite expensive given the amount of additional cost to finish them, never mind the time, and they end up costing the same or even more than RTR.

I suspect we are going to see more and more stunning RTR rolling stock from vendors including IRM and MM over the coming years, reducing the demand for kits, and yet the Irish modelling well is only so deep financially.

Noel

Hi DC.

Over all it has to be welcome news.

A lot of the popular kits they used to sell are now redundant as high quality RTR models are already available, or due within the next few months. More than detailing or new moulds needed to bring some up to today's standards :confused: Below George about to rescue this loco that derailed and ran into a chocolate orange fountain. :)

Redundant - about to be replaced by RTR from Murphy Models

P1070223_zps7592befc.jpg

From what I've read many folk were more than happy and satisfied with their MIR kits back in the day, especially if they were talented builders themselves or commissioned a talented model maker to build and finish them. However I suspect the bar and expectations have since been raised, yet there probably are some past MIR kits that would fill gaps in in what is available today, so that is a welcome development. There is room for all vendors, and I appreciate some folks prefer and enjoy kit building.

Redundant - about to be replaced by RTR from IRM (below MIR bubbles but built and finished by a skilled pro - George)

DSC_8822.jpg

From my limited experience many kits available from other vendors can be quite expensive given the amount of additional cost to finish them, never mind the time, and they end up costing the same or even more than RTR.

I suspect we are going to see more and more stunning RTR rolling stock from vendors including IRM and MM over the coming years, reducing the demand for kits, and yet the Irish modelling well is only so deep financially.

Noel

Don't forget that 3D printing is getting better every year (I know some don't believe me, but it is true) and it won't be long before some of the kits from this source will be very good or better.

While it may be good for the reintroduction of white metal wagon kits we all know that most OO locos will have a problem if you want to run long trains of these wagons.

Lovely, thanks TDR, I also see some white metal MIR kits going for sale on eBay, is this also from the same person? If so that's a great move because making the range available online would be so much handier.

Nelson, I don't know if he has any plans to go on line with his range, but the wagons planned for release/reintroduction are

1, Tara mines wagon-due end February 2017

2, Ammonia tanker, mk2 version with lighter resin tank.

3, Fertliiser wagon

4, Bogie cement wagon

No further info at this time

Have to ask why they are even bothering with a lot of items, Maybe some of us prefer to build our own from kits:confused:

given some items are now available RTR and other manufacturers have moved in with kits and transfers. The more enter the ring the better choice we modellers have, also competitive pricing:rolleyes:

Also the previous supplier of the brass overlays is no longer in business

There is more than one supplier out there, and if there is a market, some one will produce.:cheers:

TDR

Edited by The Derry Road

There is more than one supplier out there, and if there is a market, some one will produce.

Very true TDR, but the well is only so deep. Modelling consumers will be spending significantly on Murphy Models 121 when released later this year, as well as IRM's new range of top quality RTR wagons (i.e. Ballasts, Cement Bubbles and Tara's). The small Irish market is a finite size. Noel

Very true TDR, but the well is only so deep. Modelling consumers will be spending significantly on Murphy Models 121 when released later this year, as well as IRM's new range of top quality RTR wagons (i.e. Ballasts, Cement Bubbles and Tara's). The small Irish market is a finite size. Noel

It will be interesting to see how the re-launched MIR wagon kits fare especially with the Tara's & Ammonia tank wagons duplicated by IRM and SSM.

The hobby is shifting more from kit and scratchbuilding to rtr with the availability of small runs of highly detailed rtr models from China.

The loco kits were dropped and the wagons re-tooled as resin kits about 10-15 years ago.

I can understand the direction that the owners of MIR may be going in, but unless you can offer something new, the market for a second or third manufactures of what I would call modern day rail operations 1970 to date rolling stock must be limited.

If it was down to me I would look at the period from 1940 to 1970 as that to me has more change than at any other period, lines being closed, a transformation for steam to diesel, the realisation of block container trains, mechanical to electrical powered signalling, all these things where going on and it would be great to see a model of the Irish railway system during that period.

While the Irish Railway modelling scene may be small compared to some others, it has the potential to grow.

If there was, say two or three van types from the 1940 to 1960's period, a cattle wagon or van, a combination good/cattle van, a mineral/open wagon and a brake van where to become the core models for a new range of models then you might be on to a winner.

In an ideal World, they would be plastic injection moulded kits, like those from Parkside Dundas, or Ratio as examples.

It certainly won't make you a fortune over night, but knowing that the range was there will lead to an up take of Irish modelling.

The 009 world has for many years relied on kits alone, a few years ago it started to get popular to look across the waters at the Irish narrow gauge World and for me I was and still am hooked on those railways, I decided that I would get out of my model narrow gauge coach in Victoria Road, Derry and explore those other railways stations with Blue and black steam locos, only to find that this was an area that was just as fascinating as the narrow gauge scene was.

Colin

Personally I think its a mistake to reenter at the moment unless he has some new models to launch

Given the cost of them and then further cost of having them built or painted they look very expensive compared to the new IRM wagons

I picked up some MIR stuff recently that had been built and painted by a "professional" painter/ builder

One item sticks out, 6 bubble cements, heavily weathered, cost was €490, twice the price of 6 rtr from IRM

The 2010 pricelist had the bubble cement kit at £25, which at the time was over €35 so I presume the prices wont be any cheaper now

I know we have some excellent kit builders here but I would say that the majority of modelers would opt for the rtr version given the new standards that have been achieved

Just my tuppence worth, and I am in no way disparaging the excellent contribution that MIR has made to the hobby in the past

Personally I think its a mistake to reenter at the moment unless he has some new models to launch

Given the cost of them and then further cost of having them built or painted they look very expensive compared to the new IRM wagons. I picked up some MIR stuff recently that had been built and painted by a "professional" painter/ builder One item sticks out, 6 bubble cements, heavily weathered, cost was €490, twice the price of 6 rtr from IRM.

The 2010 pricelist had the bubble cement kit at £25, which at the time was over €35 so I presume the prices wont be any cheaper now. I know we have some excellent kit builders here but I would say that the majority of modelers would opt for the rtr version given the new standards that have been achieved. Just my tuppence worth, and I am in no way disparaging the excellent contribution that MIR has made to the hobby in the past

Tend to Agree. Many current kits in the Irish market seem too expensive when compared to RTR prices. More often than not kits end up costing more by the time they are finished, yet don't look half as good as quality RTR. €40 for a superbly fine detailed RTR model versus €30 for an average moulded kit requiring a lot of additional work is a no brainer.

I see another thread spiraling into the fantasy genre.

I'm delighted to hear MIR are making a come back. I recently made some of their latest Tara Wagons and I have to say I was impressed. I wasn't a fan of the white metal bogies. Brass structure with cast sides would be better. But the resin castings were down right excellent. All they needed was a rub with a toothbrush to remove the flash and they were ready to assemble.

Again this nonsense of adding the price of a pro model maker. These kits are not hard to make. I'm delighted to get commissions but I always encourage people to build for themselves. It's interesting how in the model aircraft market kits are king. People don't bat and eyelid at learning to build it themselves. End of the world for railway modellers.

RTR everything ain't gonna happen no matter how hard you wish. Yes there might be a small catalyst effect with more things becoming available but I don't think so in the RTR market as everything is limited run. I think it would me more useful if someone produced large numbers of quality injection moulded kits with low prices.

Edited by Garfield
Expletive removed

You never know ;)

Alternate universe? It seems to take years to produce each individual factory RTR wagon. Prove otherwise but if not then we all better hope we live 100 more years. Meanwhile, if someone actually wants to get on with modelling Irish, they will combine the excellent RTR models available with kits.

Alternate universe? It seems to take years to produce each individual factory RTR wagon. Prove otherwise but if not then we all better hope we live 100 more years. Meanwhile, if someone actually wants to get on with modelling Irish, they will combine the excellent RTR models available with kits.

Well, in 2017, there will be RTR Ballast Wagons, Cement Bubbles and Tara Mines Wagons and one other surprise project.

In 2018, there will be at least 4 more.

Perhaps it took a few years to get up to speed, but the technology and the market is evolving fast and it's amazing what's now possible and the timeframes they are possible in! :)

Edited by BosKonay

Well, in 2017, there will be RTR Ballast Wagons, Cement Bubbles and Tara Mines Wagons and one other surprise project.

Perhaps it took a few years to get up to speed, but the technology and the market is evolving fast and it's amazing what's now possible and the timeframes they are possible in! :)

Sounds very promising and exciting. Due to the high cost and time to build current kits I'd love to one day see RTR versions of CIE H-Vans and Bulleid open beat wagons, both the most numerous wagons to ever run on Irish rails. :) And perhaps one day . . . no I won't mention the obvious dream! An A class loco

Sounds very promising and exciting. Due to the high cost and time to build current kits I'd love to one day see RTR versions of CIE H-Vans and Bulleid open beat wagons, both the most numerous wagons to ever run on Irish rails. :) And perhaps one day . . . no I won't mention the obvious dream! An A class loco

All in good time Noel, all in good time. But there are big things coming down the tracks for Irish modellers. We don't want to announce too much until all the pieces are in place, but it will be well worth watching this space for very exciting times ahead! :)

It took 2 years to bring out the Ballasts. Bubbles and Taras are nowhere to be seen half way through 2017. I'm not criticizing the rate of production at all. I just think your plans are unbelievably over optimistic. After 2018 you'll have to take a ten year break to shift all that stock you've accumulated. 141s were still in the shops 7 or 8 years after manufacture, you can still get a lot of the 201s and 071s too. These being the most popular Irish models anyone could produce short of an A class.

Anyhow this is another thread spiraling off topic so I'll say no more about RTR.

Delighted to see MIR back on the go. Plenty of room in the market for kits.

It took 2 years to bring out the Ballasts. Bubbles and Taras are nowhere to be seen half way through 2017. I'm not criticizing the rate of production at all. I just think your plans are unbelievably over optimistic. After 2018 you'll have to take a ten year break to shift all that stock you've accumulated. 141s were still in the shops 7 or 8 years after manufacture, you can still get a lot of the 201s and 071s too. These being the most popular Irish models anyone could produce short of an A class.

Anyhow this is another thread spiraling off topic so I'll say no more about RTR.

Delighted to see MIR back on the go. Plenty of room in the market for kits.

With all due respect David you are judging something that you have no understanding of what's going on behind the scenes. As I said, all will be revealed very soon. :)

I also think that it's only fair that we bring this back on topic of the MIR kits after Dave took it off course. :)

Edited by Warbonnet