Rate this topic

Kirley

My very first venture into kit building was a NIR Hunslet. In 2010 I made a second one adding lights to both. Both were kits by MIR but with their demise I was still outstanding the 3rd member of the Hunslet fleet.

When John of Silver Fox Models bought the rights from MIR this was my chance to get my third locomotive. The Silver Fox kit was £46 plus providing a Bachmann Class 20 chassis. The kit comprises of a Resin body and the mould is of the complete body not like the MIR one where you added brass grills, roof panels, hand rail along with white metal buffers and other small pieces.

My first thought was to add my own hand rails etc but then decided just to do it as it was.

Sorry I did not take any photographs of the resin model in its raw state but I found two pictures of it behind ones of the Sulzer under construction hence the limited view.

Hunslet1031.jpg

In the second one you can see the only modification I made in cutting out the side windows, not an easy task as the resin was about 4 mm thick.

Hunslet1032.jpg

I cut out the glazing in Perspex and painted the model. It was only when I got to applying the decals stage did I realise that Silver Fox did not supply the warning colour panel for the front. I decided to use this design from the early 80’s.

NIRHunslet103.jpg

Unfortunately I had to mask the whole of the loco just to do the front and side stripes.

Hunslet103007.jpg

I’ve still to weather the model but my initial reaction is favourable to this Silver Fox Hunslet kit.

Hunslet103008.jpg

Hunslet103010.jpg

Hunslet103009.jpg

Maybe Weshty may consider doing a detailing kit for the Hunslet.

Edited by Kirley

• 4 weeks later...

Working on 5 Dapol Oil tankers using Weshty’s Detailing kit.

The 6th tanker is one I completed before the kit became available

OilTankerDetailingKit004.jpg

The extra white pipe is Evergreen tubing, this vent pipe was not included in the Kit but shown on pictures of the Tankers.

OilTankerDetailingKit005.jpg

Ready to prime and paint.

Guest hidden-agenda
Looking great K. But before you paint them don't forget to cut them down to the correct length

Good advice but if already glued might be hards to do. I have to say they look attractive with the side detail.

What is the correct length? Looking at the pictures shown of the prototypes they seem fairly close and there was nothing in SSM instructions other than reduce the length of the chassis which I did. The only reference books I have (Doyle & Hirsch) don't give an overall length only a 10' wheelbase for these wagons.

What is the correct length? Looking at the pictures shown of the prototypes they seem fairly close and there was nothing in SSM instructions other than reduce the length of the chassis which I did. The only reference books I have (Doyle & Hirsch) don't give an overall length only a 10' wheelbase for these wagons.

Kirley,like you,I have drew a blank with my reference material also,although the wheelbase for all the oil tankers appears to be 12'.The oil tankers you are doing look similar to the old Burmah tanks and given the donor chassis recommended for use,this chassis is for a 12'wheelbase,20 ton British tank wagon,then with the work that you have done with the tank ends being close to either end of the chassis,it looks correct to me.Good job with the tanks,they look the part and look right and I certainly do not see the need to do any modification to them.Well done

Edited by Hunslet 102

Guest hidden-agenda
stunning!! Keep up the great work! The SSM kit really transforms them:tumbsup:

Here here must get some of those kits.Excellent job K.

Edited by hidden-agenda

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the transfers applied and a bit of weathering to finish off.

OilTankers011.jpg

OilTankers012.jpg

OilTankers013.jpg

OilTankers014.jpg

OilTankers015.jpg

OilTankers016.jpg

There is something about these Wagons that I really like, I can’t put my finger on it but they just look the part (to my mind anyway).