Rate this topic

Kirley

I would not have any expertise on CIE workings but the inspiration for this build was from a picture of one in the book 'Rails Through The West' I had an old Airfix low loader but had lost the JCB so I picked up a Dapol one. Have a look at an earlier thread started by Heirflick -http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/727-low-loader?highlight=loader.

Yes same as Dave's ones - he's got 'such great hands'.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got this Ratio Crane Kit for my Container Yard.

IMG_0196.jpg

It's reasonably straight forward to build except for the ladder hoops and the railings - always a nightmare for me.

IMG_0223.jpg

Got its initial primer coat before final assembly. There is an extra Ratio kit which provide wheels to the Crane. A bit steep at £5 for what it is.

IMG_0227a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Concentration on the Oil Depot and Fuelling Point which involved a lot of kit building all from Knightwing Kits.

IMG_2854.jpg

Made up my own Fuelling Depot with a corporate colour that looked right to me but not I'm sure representing anything on Irish Rail.

IMG_2855.jpg

Oil Tanks and Portacabin constructed and painted.

IMG_2856.jpg

Curved wall made out of plywood and covered in DAS Clay and then Wills Stone sheet pressed into it to give a stone wall impression.

IMG_2857.jpg

Inside of the wall ready of the DAS Clay treatment.

IMG_2858.jpg

Container Crane finally completed.

IMG_2859.jpg

Walls and internal walls.

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2861.jpg

Internal walls glued in place and coping top on all the walls finished the wall building. Sorry about the picture quality but the light was fading badly at this stage.

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

• 1 month later...

Working of some Cement Bubbles and a Parcel Van.

I was lucky to get the last of a run of Cement Bubbles, the resin body was supplied but you had to provide the chassis so I used the Dapol C043 kits. I got 10 but now I wish I got more but they are all gone now.

IMG_2936.jpg

I had asked Allen Doherty (Worsley Works) to do me coach sides for a NIR Parcel Van and he eventually got round to it. These van were converted from MPD Units and I think each one was different. This is it the priming stage, filling to do.

IMG_2939.jpg

Nice work Kieran,the colouring looks spot on.The roof vents on the MEDs and subsequently the converted parcel vans were the flat type,I have a feeling that is what JHB is meaning.Personally,I think the vents look fine on your model,I intend to get a set of the Worsley Works etches myself soon and would use the same donor coach as you did and thus I would not alter the roof vents either.The corridor connectors on the parcel vans were removed by NIR and plated over,your model would look closer to the original if you omitted the connectors.

Indeed, Hunslet! Apologies for the confusion, it's the way I put it.

As you know, there were variations among them - in fact, it's possible no two were identical!

I have a picture which my father took of one, but it didn't come out very well. I looked it up yesterday but the pic is so dark it doesn't throw any light on the matter..... (see what I did?)

I do have an idea that at least one might have few or no vents. In any event, a very unique and interesting model.