Riversuirs Workbench

Rate this topic

Riversuir226

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Noel

A few little jobs coming up :) ,

1. Grey 088 gets a little makeover

2. Yes i know i ve enough 201's but theres a new arrival and the lima 201 is up for the IE treatment.

While the new one gets renumbered & renamed.

3. Taras & timbers part 2 scratchbuilding

The new layout will be making an appearance at some stage too

Edited by Riversuir226

Thanks Noel

A few little jobs coming up :) ,

1. Grey 088 gets a little makeover

2. Yes i know i ve enough 201's but theres a new arrival and the lima 201 is up for the IE treatment.

While the new one gets renumbered & renamed.

3. Taras & timbers part 2 scratchbuilding

The new layout will be making an appearance at some stage too

Can't wait to see the Taras and timbers:trains:

The layout is loosely based on the West Cork line, no station in particular but hope to get the "feel" of out wesht but set in the recent past. It ll have a beet handling depot for added interest & a log handling siding . 088 is getting her logos cut back like her bigger sis .

The taras will be first and i ll be building them in stages and posting up a "how to " as i go along, i ll be building three to add to my existing rake. The timbers arebased on a hornby old type freightliner wagon with added scratchbuilt stanchions and bulkhead, i ll also do a "how too" for those too.

I m also planning to do a beet bogie rake using ssm 42ft flats with c rail containers :)

Edited by Riversuir226

Interesting. I, having had no particular idea in mind previously, have recently decided to try to do a layout based (loosely) on parts of the CB&SCR. I love some of the bridges on it crossing the River Bandon and the Chetwynd viaduct which I'll try to model at some point having no experience at scratch building. I'll look back through your lengthy thread but throw up a few pictures between builds if they're not on here.

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/3591-Old-photos-Chetwynd-Viaduct-Cork-Bandon-amp-South-Coast-Railway?highlight=Chetwynd

Edited by DiveController

I ve most of the track plans for the stations drawn out on anyrail if you want them give us a shout. The lifting of the lines is very well covered by both Colm Creedon and Ernie Shephard in their books on the line the latter one is very good and more importantly copies are still available. If your looking for more pics of the line or the remains of it give us a shout and i ll be glad to help in whatever way i can.

As for my plan, its a what if , based in the near past after track and branchline rationalisation but still have a sense of place using Charles Nixons designed bridges (not viaducts, how i wish i had the space) to set the scene and using old pics & new to model the countryside and the engineering that when t into the building of the line . What i can actually fit into a 8ft x 4ft space is open for discussion :) .

Edited by Riversuir226

Nice one Eamonn,

088 was repainted for me by the Conna wizard a few months back and a top job it was too, using pics i cut back the new cabside logos on the non fan end like her fullsize sister. The right hand side got a bit more cut off than the left handside one(many thanks to Sean for the missing pic that i needed).

All good things have to come to an end the auld girl of the shed 202 River Lee which was a renumbered lima 219 is starting to show her age. Her replacement is a new mm 220 which i renumbered to 202, decals are a mix of old mir numbers and ssm nameplates, 3 of the plates are fitted but one has gone missing so that ll be a job for another day.

The old lima one has given her bachy cl 66 chassis to 209 & has now got a lima cl 59 chassis which has her motor disabledso it can be hauled around the layout by another loco (a bit like the real thing :) ) . The auld lima 201 will also get a new number and nameplates.

I ve most of the track plans for the stations drawn out on anyrail if you want them give us a shout. The lifting of the lines is very well covered by both Colm Creedon and Ernie Shephard in their books on the line the latter one is very good and more importantly copies are still available. If your looking for more pics of the line or the remains of it give us a shout and i ll be glad to help in whatever way i can.

As for my plan, its a what if , based in the near past after track and branchline rationalisation but still have a sense of place using Charles Nixons designed bridges (not viaducts, how i wish i had the space) to set the scene and using old pics & new to model the countryside and the engineering that when t into the building of the line . What i can actually fit into a 8ft x 4ft space is open for discussion :) .

Some terrific bridges and tunnels on that line. Must go and look at them whenever I get back to the old country.

• 1 month later...

Ah a Severn class is my favourite RNLI AWB. Nice work. We have that kit, but haven't started it yet. Either my son or myself were supposed to build it, but instead I built a Saturn V to mark the 40th anniversary of Neil Armstrong's "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" moon landing.

Many years ago after we pulled a crew off their burning yacht off the west coast, the Fenit RNLI AWB, and rescue 115 CG Heli from Shannon were tasked to the scene. Thankfully and luckily we had already got crew off without injuries and onboard our vessel. Scary memories, don't like fire at sea! Anyway 'Mayday Relay' works!

eek.gif

• 2 weeks later...

2014-12-15 23.59.42.jpg

Slowly working my way through the bubbles, a lot of work to be done to each of them but i'm enjoying every minute of it :) . I raided the spares box for a load of bachmann slimline couplings which i fitted to each of the wagons using a 071 coupling to ensure the height was right, after testing the full rake behind an 071i startedwork on the bodies which required a lot of filling and sanding, luckily i had a tin of phoenix paints mir ivory paint to hand. I then proceeded to paint all the bubbles which was completed last night. I ve now started on the chassis 's.

I'm still unsure about the decals etc but will probably go with the railtec option.

Nice one for the comments lads, the orange ones would be nice but they wouldn t fit in with the era :(

3 left to repaint, replaced a few axles and added a few top hat bearings so they re all running a little too well now!!!. In fairness to the original builder he done a pretty good job with the builds but i wanted to tweak them a little to ensure very good running.

2014-12-18 09.59.16.jpg

Many thanks to Redrich for the pics that he posted up in the Prototype section, they came in nice and handy for the detailing bits.

Edited by Riversuir226

• 2 weeks later...