'Modern' lrish style Apartment Buildings / Houses- OO scale

Rate this topic

Rob

Hi.

Looking for any 'modern' (1990's / 2000's) OO Scale lrish style Apartment buildings / Houses? 

Doesn't matter if it is card kit, actual buildings or whatever but can't seem to locate any that look similar to what you would see around Dublin or any lrish city over the last 20 / 30 years?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Rob 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/1/2024 at 6:36 PM, DiveController said:

I’ve never thought that brick built homes from between the wars, nor tidy hedgerowed farm buildings much resembled anything Irish tbh 

Agreed- that is my problem!   

Everything l see looks too 'English'.

I can't locate anything that resembles lrish Apartment blocks, Houses or even modern Offices so any suggestions are very welcome.....

On 10/1/2024 at 10:58 PM, jhb171achill said:

They'd be much the same - if that modern - as any of the glass-and-steel-and-concrete things you'd get across the water in Kingcharlesland. I daresay some of the British manufacturers might therefore have something suitable?

For extra authenticity, you'd need some of the modern buildings to show signs of mica damage....

• Funny 7

7 hours ago, Horsetan said:

For extra authenticity, you'd need some of the modern buildings to show signs of mica damage....

He’s modelling Dublin though, mica is mostly in the North west.. For Dublin it would be either pyrite, or defective insulation/fire proofing for Celtic tiger era buildings! Maybe a ghost estate or two also

• Funny 4

Having worked in construction management in the UK and Ireland for many years there are significant difference in architectural styling and building materials used in public, commercial and residential (apartments & housing), between Ireland and the UK.  Differences less significant between UK & Ireland in modern industrial, warehousing and logistics which basically use similar materials and construction techniques.

Best source of information are Building Consent/Planning applications which should contain architectural and engineering drawings and specification.

Best option is probably to design and produce Irish model building using a programme such as Inkscape  https://inkscape.org/. The Buildings and structures on Kevin Sweeney's Ballywillian thread appear to be designed and constructed using Inkscape, WARB's Barrow Street thread features models of modern and refurbished buildings in the Pearse St-Grand Canal Dock area.

For me the biggest gaps are absence of Dublin Corporation 3 Bed  "Kitchen" and 2 Bed Parlour houses, the typical 'spec.' built Dublin Semi of the 30s, and Herbert George Simms "Art Deco" Corporation Flats of the 1930s, but precious little to do with trains apart from an Inchacore Works Backdrop

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

I remember dealing with some French students in Stafford in the 90s.

Asked for their general impression of the area, they had a chat amongst themselves and, overwhelmed by the amount of brickwork everywhere, the answer was "It is very brown".

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Do not forget to check your house insurance. Remember that many of these apartments had fire safety issues. Then there was the water ingress thing. I do not know if wiring up the buildings to possibly go up in smoke and plumbing in water to simulate water leaks would be worth it. 

• Funny 2