MM0174A

Rate this topic

Davenport

I believe its running in DC mode and you need to install a decoder.

if your controller has a dc channel it will run on that but beware that the noise is caused by the motor recieving a full track voltage whilst pwm is keeping it stationary and the motors tend to get quite hot as a byproduct of running in this state which can shorten their lives significantly.

Most would not recommend it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

23 hours ago, Davenport said:

Hi all,

I received my new MM 141 but when I put it on a test track it makes  noise (see video)  I purchased other models second hand and they

have decoders in them . I don't know if this noise is this correct? Or is there something wrong with the new model.

Thanks 

Lads, my new 181 also does not sound right to my ears. Sounds a bit like an old tractor to be honest. And there is a whine above that noise. Not sure you can hear it here.

• WOW! 1

2 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Are you guys running these with Class 121 decoders or running them on DC layouts or what?

I am powering the layout with a pair of cheap as chips hornby controllers. Basic as you like. My other 141 ( one I bought from @WRENNEIRE so one of the original run) runs without a glitch. So does my IRM a Class. As does every other loco I run on it. Wonder should I send it back?. I was only running it in this morning....... I wonder if any of the lads from IRM might be able to shed some light on this. @BosKonay or @Garfield ?. I understand that IRM are not responsible for the manufacture of the locos but no harm to ask

Edited by derek
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, BosKonay said:

Sounds like a broken gear tooth or definitely something off mechanicaly 

So do I need to send back the loco or what do I do? I had just about convinced myself to live with it, and said as much to Patrick in an email. But I don't like the sound of broken gear teeth or anything. Running it over time could probably make the problem worse?  It sounds like a kid running a stick across railings. That kind of a rattle. Thanks for the reply. 

Derek

• WOW! 1

I'd send that back and I am happy to try to fix most things myself. Models should not sound like that out of the box. Something is definitely not right. Send it back now while there are warranty replacements readily available. These things happen unfortunately but that's what the warranty is for 🙂

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, at this stage the loco is deffo going back. I have emailed  IRM with a view to this, so just waiting for a reply. Thanks for all the replies/advice. If the replacement runs the same, then I will at least know that it is normal. Pain , but what can you do?

Edited by derek
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, final update on the noisy loco. Sent it back to IRM and replacement arrived within a couple of days. And to be honest I don't really see any difference between the two. At least now I know that this noise is normal. Just have to live with it. Here is a quick clip of the new one. See what you think.

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

17 minutes ago, derek said:

Ok, final update on the noisy loco. Sent it back to IRM and replacement arrived within a couple of days. And to be honest I don't really see any difference between the two. At least now I know that this noise is normal. Just have to live with it. Here is a quick clip of the new one. See what you think.

I think you've just solved a major mystery.

The big jump in price over the 121's was because these are DCC sound fitted, but the factory made a boo boo and installed Class 37 "Tractor" chips by mistake.

2 hours ago, derek said:

That noise is not normal Derek, did they send you back the same one?

2 hours ago, derek said:

@derek-I recently purchased 174, it’s a normal noise for new locomotives - run in the loco-30 mins in either direction and then remove the bogies and check the amount of lubrication on the gears underneath-I had to put a drop of grease on them,the loco has considerably quietened down since. 

• Informative 1