New member saying hello

Rate this topic

Jimbo325ci

Hey,

I've been lurking around on this forum for a while now, some great reading and advice available.

Anyway a quick introduction, like many I had a hornby train set as a kid - class 08 with a few wagons.

I found it recently in my parents attic and thought I'd take a look, and 20 years later it still goes.....I was amazed.

Ive been living in dubai for the last 2 years, and was home at christmas, so picked up a few model train magazines. afterwards, i decided to take a spin into cork and take a look in Marks models and see what was around. There I saw (and bought) an 071 freight livery #071. Since then I've been reading about modelling and have decided I'd like to try my hand at it. Well actually I've been addicted, much to herselfs distress!!

Since then I've picked up a few dapol oil tankers to convert, some old school kinder eggs to try and make cement bubbles, some uk mk3s and a few other bits and pieces.

Also thanks to a friend in Ennis I picked up MM146 & 177, and Wrenneire sorted me with 184 & 187 last week. Westhy here has also fixed me up with some detailing kits and transfers. Thanks guys. On the wishlist are some Cravens, mark2's and some IE liveried 071s. It's not a cheap hobby........

I haven't really started anything yet - living here in Dubai, I don't have access to model shops. So I've ordered a dose of stuff like fillers, razor saw, styrene sheet etc. I'm expecting them soon and then the work can crack on.

I'm living in an apartment so I'm not sure ill have space for much of a layout. Regardless I'm going to do a small diorama to practice scenery laying etc.

If anyone has any suggestions for a little track plan for a 3 or 4 foot area I'd love some ideas - even just to run the trains a little bit.

Looking forward to getting started on the oil tankers - if anyone can help with where I should cut down the chassis it'd be greatly appreciated. Ill post photos of my work once it gets underway.

Regards

Jamie

Hello, Jamie and welcome to the site. Nice to have someone from so far afield!

Sounds you already have a nice collection of stock. With a small space a nice little shunting layout with a goods or container yard might be a good idea.

Or maybe even a diesel maintenance depot and refueling point.

Try this site for track plan ideas - http://www.freetrackplans.com/Home.php

welcome to the site!

for your track plan, how about a section of a port railhead. your 071 could shunt some intermodal flats about and you could get good practice at making concreted over areas of rail. Depending on space a small terminus could be put alongside for your mk3s

Welcome Jamie

For your layout it can be big in a small space if you are willing to be able to stack it up against the wall or something and when you want to use it just set it on trestles , I'm currently making a layout by this method it's 6x3 in a tiny space , I hope I haven't confused you

Hello Jamie and welcome to the site! As for the oil tankers, I converted a few Dapol tankers a while back but I can't remember what dimensions I used at the time, or if they were even correct for that matter, but I just used what looked 'right' :) Here's a link to the old site where I posted a few pics if Boskonay doesn't mind.

http://irishrailwaymodeller.yuku.com/topic/191/Barls-Workbench?page=3#.UX21_rVFSNA

Other members on here have improved on this again and may be able to provide the exact dimensions and Studio Scale Models (aka Weshty) also produces a brass scratch-aid which helps greatly with producing these models. Hope this helps :tumbsup:

Edited by Barl

Hello Jamie,

welcome to the Forum! In the last few weeks on of the most expierienced members in here posted that for the correct length of the oil tankers the chassis had to be cut down by 12mm and the tank itself by 3mm. Alas I cannot find the post in the forum. Could anyone perhaps give me a little advice how to use the f....ng search function? Especially when I found a thread I don't know how to get to the marked piece of text.

Cheers,

Gerhard.

Ah, using google I got this here:

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/78-Kirley-s-Projects?p=27447&highlight=tanker#post27447

It should be the second post on the sit you will see

Edited by Sentinel281

Well, it always gives a good feeling to see that other people share the own problems and it always gives a bad feeling to see that the problems were already widely discussed... in this special case I just could not find any help myself ;)

Thanks Broithe, your link was a great help indeed!

Thanks for the warm welcome lads

Welcome to Irish railway modelling Jamie!!!

Have you a rough track plan in mind?

Not yet....possibly manage a 6 x 2 ft layout

Welcome Jamie

For your layout it can be big in a small space if you are willing to be able to stack it up against the wall or something and when you want to use it just set it on trestles , I'm currently making a layout by this method it's 6x3 in a tiny space , I hope I haven't confused you

good idea, Have a space to stack 2 boards of about 3 x 2 each. Now to find room for trestles.....

Hello Jamie and welcome to the site! As for the oil tankers, I converted a few Dapol tankers a while back but I can't remember what dimensions I used at the time, or if they were even correct for that matter, but I just used what looked 'right' :) Here's a link to the old site where I posted a few pics if Boskonay doesn't mind.

http://irishrailwaymodeller.yuku.com/topic/191/Barls-Workbench?page=3#.UX21_rVFSNA

Other members on here have improved on this again and may be able to provide the exact dimensions and Studio Scale Models (aka Weshty) also produces a brass scratch-aid which helps greatly with producing these models. Hope this helps :tumbsup:

Thanks, thye look great..... Already picked up the detailing kit which looks great. I was asking primarily where to cut the chassis but ive a plan in mind and will post pics in due course

Hello Jamie,

welcome to the Forum! In the last few weeks on of the most expierienced members in here posted that for the correct length of the oil tankers the chassis had to be cut down by 12mm and the tank itself by 3mm. Alas I cannot find the post in the forum. Could anyone perhaps give me a little advice how to use the f....ng search function? Especially when I found a thread I don't know how to get to the marked piece of text.

Cheers,

Gerhard.

Ah, using google I got this here:

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/78-Kirley-s-Projects?p=27447&highlight=tanker#post27447

It should be the second post on the sit you will see

Read it previously but thanks, i may have not explained correctly what I was looking for, more about where to cut the chassis to keep the solebars correct but as above Ive a plan in mind....

hello jamie and welcome on board! dont get too friendly with the boyos on here- were all looking for a cheap holiday in Dubai! just emagine wakening up some sunny morning and there's 181 members knocking on your door looking to give you a hand with your layout![ATTACH=CONFIG]6920[/ATTACH]

Thought the 181 was on purpose too lol anytime anyone is passing through Id be more than happy to show them around. Since we got here its been an unending stream of family/friends visiting! Summer is just starting here so the heat should stem the flow for a few months!!

Welcome, Jimbo! I've a few mates living over in Dubai... there seems to be thriving Irish community over there now. Can't wait to see your work progress. :)

Ya there are heaps of Irish here now, and more coming all the time. Since I left 2 years ago, 10 former colleagues have since left Ireland and work with me here!

Welcome aboard Jimbo. I think most can echo your OP about discoveries in attics and the slight thrill this brings to a grown man! I've only one piece of advice I'd like to share if you are looking to fill 6 x 2' - please,please avoid using software to design the layout, it will look like a train set.

Grab a notepad, scribble about, work out what's a must (dockside scene, rural terminus, goods loading etc.) and when you've finished the list, go through it and delete the nonsense ones you've left in "for the craic". It's ok, we all do it!

Scribble some more on the sketchpad and when you have a rough idea, post it up here, no matter how ropey you may think it is. Based on the feedback you can tweak accordingly and then get using software to lay out the plan. I've said it before, and it warrants repeating - "lay track in haste, repent at leisure".

Looking forward to seeing your kitbashing!

Richie.