My new baby

Rate this topic

Dave

Forget about Big Boy girls, you need one of these!

2-6-6-6 ALLEGHENY

P1000958.jpg

These were the heaviest reciprocating steam locomotives ever built, at 389 tons for the locomotive itself plus 215 tons for the loaded tender

But the Big Boy was the most powerful steam loco

The ALLEGHENY was the most powerful of them all. I have one of those Rivarossi models and they're absolutely stunning. The Genesis Challenger and Big Boys are too.

I wished I owned the Big Boy in this pic, but I am lucky enough that I own the big UP power either side of it. All have sound :) Athearn/UP Big Power

But the Big Boy was the most powerful steam loco

Nope, the Allegheny was. The Big Boy was bigger and faster mind you. The Allegheny was built for heavy coal slogging up the mountains. The Big Boys were built for fast freight. No weakling themselves mind you but the higher speed meant less tractive effort.

MTH do a nice model of the triplex. I guess it comes down to what you mean by most powerful? High horsepower, tractive effort? The Allegheny chucked out 7,500hp at 40mph, so probably the highest most usable power. The boilers were good for 8,000. No modern diesel gets near that. A bit more info http://www.steamlocomotive.com/allegheny/

Either way, monsters, the lot of them! I can't wait till the Big Boy gets out on the mainline again.

Too much is written about what was the most powerful steam loco

Tests of the C&O with a dynamometer car indicating momentary readings of 7,498 hp (5.6 MW) with readings between 6,700 to 6,900 hp (5.0 to 5.1 MW) at about 45 mph (72 km/h). No one has published a higher dynamometer horsepower for any steam locomotive.