Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

Dublin Connolly 131 on NIR stock (I think, eyes not so good today) 6 March 1992. I have also uploaded to flickr 129 & 131 at Connolly today as well.

Dundalk 15 May 1948 37 former INW 44 withdrawn the following month.

Monaghan , 14 arriving on a goods ca 1955. I like the footbridge with the stone abutments and girder construction on Plantation Walk. It would make a good scenic break/exit on a layout.

IR 1992-03-06 Connolly 131 zz120 GNRI 1948-05-15 Dundalk 37. former INW no 44 built 1876 wdn June 1948 JG Dewing GNRI 1955-xx-xxca monaghan 14

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 7

Still a MGWR enamel sign at Mullingar in the bottom pic - plus a black rather than grey 0.6.0. Few of the locos which were repainted black from the mid-50s on, and including this one, had the "snail" on the tender - only some of them. A tender which is so grubby that it's impossible to tell whether it was actually painted black or dark grey - WITH a snail - would have a greater chance of being originally grey.

With a realistic layer of weathering, a steam loco seen in 1959-62 might as well be painted lime green, tartan and fluorescent pink, such was the layer of soot, oil, brake dust, rust and general gunk......

This a recently acquired negative, not brilliant quality and no information. Ideas anyone?

I am thinking West Clare but maybe an import from one of the earlier closed lines. There is what looks like a D on the LH of the side but I think that's a red herring (literally not physically!) There is what could be the faint outline of a CIE snail, upper right middle pannel.

GTR046.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Dublin Harcourt Street, D14 63 27 June 1950.

Broad & Narrow at Guiness Brewer 27 June 1950, 2 views.

Gorgeous. A vital missing link in Irish preservation ~ the southern 4-4-0. A different kind of elegance to her GNR counterparts - but imagine how she must have looked loping along at speed ! 

• Like 2

Its an oft repeated mistake that No2 in the Red wagon series was one of the Clogher vans i've got 3 photos of No2 (ex Castlederg) (been there modelled that).So the numbering for the opens start at No2,No1 being the much photographed Breakdown wagon,now it is usually stated that the opens were numbered 3 to 9 now we know that s wrong as the above photo shows,now the next problem is that  the above numbering allows for 7 opens,the problem is that the  Castlederg only had 7 opens and No 28 (the odd one) became No228 in the ordinary  wagon series,so that suggests that 8 and 9 were Clogher vehicles possibly the one counted as No2 and the rogue Clogher brake van which appeared on a Donegal chassis,which none of the books mention . Hope this is of interest Andy.

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

County Donegal Railways Railcar 16 Interior views  3 July 1959.

Belfast York Road ex IR 224 16 May 1988.

CDRJC 1959-07-03 Strabane  railcar 16 interior (1) CDRJC 1959-07-03 Strabane  railcar 16 interior (2) NIR 1988-05-16 Belfast York Rd 224 zz138

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2022 at 8:28 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Monaghan , 14 arriving on a goods ca 1955. I like the footbridge with the stone abutments and girder construction on Plantation Walk. It would make a good scenic break/exit on a layout.

Hi Ernie,

Is there a possibility this was taken in December 1960? The reason I ask is that if it was 1955, the AEC Railcar on the left of the picture would be in GNR Blue/Cream livery. This one appears to be in all over CIE green, it therefore being the final Railtour? Goods services continued for another few weeks after the date of the Railtour. 

On 12/7/2022 at 9:45 AM, Irishswissernie said:

This a recently acquired negative, not brilliant quality and no information. Ideas anyone?

I am thinking West Clare but maybe an import from one of the earlier closed lines. There is what looks like a D on the LH of the side but I think that's a red herring (literally not physically!) There is what could be the faint outline of a CIE snail, upper right middle pannel.

GTR046.jpg

West Clare, yes. Possibly a GS rebuold too, but (a) certainly not C & L, and (b) looks to be too large a loading gauge, and possibly chassis length (?) for T & D. My money's on West Clare.

• Agree 1

On 5/7/2022 at 8:28 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Dublin Connolly 131 on NIR stock (I think, eyes not so good today) 6 March 1992. I have also uploaded to flickr 129 & 131 at Connolly today as well.

Dundalk 15 May 1948 37 former INW 44 withdrawn the following month.

IR 1992-03-06 Connolly 131 zz120 GNRI 1948-05-15 Dundalk 37. former INW no 44 built 1876 wdn June 1948 JG Dewing GNRI 1955-xx-xxca monaghan 14

The Monaghan one - as alluded to elsewhere, the railcar DOES appear to be in CIE green, yet no "CIE" stencil appears to be on the buffer beam.  If the pic is indeed 1955, then it's a CIE railcar rather than a former GNR one painted green. If so, what's it doing there? I am unaware of ANY CIE railcar traversing the GNR in GNR days. If the pic IS later, and the railcar is an ex-GN one repainted, then it's almost certainly that 2-car AEC which the IRRS had on a farewell tour in 1960. And if that is the case, either the "CIE" stencil is covered in dirt, or they have not yeat applied it - by 1960, the latter is highly unlikely.

The pic of INWR 44 (GN37): note that it is shunting a distictive BCDR covered van.

• Like 1

On balance,  I am changing the date to 19 December 1959 the date of the last train IRRS special. I have several Roy Dennison slides as he was on the train and also  have 150 odd of his negatives so this is probably one of his as well. Railcar was 609. Thanks everyone for clarifying the date.

• Like 2