Would you prepay for a model?

Rate this topic

BosKonay

Would you be prepared to pay in advance for a model production?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be prepared to pay in advance for a model production?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

To me, the most logical next item to be produced would be a 22k, as they've infected the entire system (almost), though the cost of producing a 3-car set would be prohibitively high. Having said that, as they are still only at the start of their working lives, they will be around for many years (yawn) & hence a number of re-runs over the years would probably be required as these will be the only trains that people will come to remember. Things like 121s are already history & hence already the number of people that they mean something to is starting to diminish if were are brutally honest.

Personally As & Cs don't mean anything to me as they'd all finished by the time that I discovered Irish railways, so I'd almost be inclined to wish for something like a 2700 railcar before a Metro-Vic, though I probably would purchase a model of an A or C if one became available having travelled behind A39 on a tour, but then the model would have to reflect it in it's preserved condition.

Yes I'd be interested in 4 wheeled freight stock, but the only thing that concerns me is how they'd be represented. Irish freight vehicles became notorious for being extremely heavily weathered - something that is hard to represent convincingly & if done poorly I find a total turn off.

My top 5 wish list:

1 4wd Cement bubbles

2 4wd Beet wagons

3 2700 railcar

4 4wd ballast wagons

5 4wd ballast brake / plough

In one sense it may be logical but a big part of model railways is recreating something long lost. I love BR steam/diesel transition from the 60s but I was born in the 80s. The ICRs do nothing for me personally (apart from being pleasant enough to travel on) whereas CIE Sulzer or E floats my boat. Different strokes and all that, but if we werent interested in the past there'd be no steam models for instance, no 141s selling in Black and Tan for instance. The age profile of the hobby is another thing to consider, people who can remember 121s in their heyday are usually those who have the extra income to buy them rather than young people who only know ICRs. But sure that's just my opinion!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I've noticed on this thread is the number of first time posters who have commented, as well as a number with low post counts. Firstly, welcome to those posters, and secondly, I assume they have been lurkers up until now, but such is their interest in a new crowd funded model that they felt strongly enough about it to post, which can only be encouraging. There are probably a number of modellers outside of the forum who would join such a venture if it was decided to proceed.

It would have to be a 121 or an A Class for me too. A 121 with a Mk3 Push-Pull set would be brilliant :)

One of the main issues I can see with this is that; if the main delay in MM producing a 121 is the lack of funds due to unsold stock, there is the dilemma that a new model may attract more sales away from models already on the shelves.

If enough interest is produced then it shouldn't seem a problem, this was only live yesterday and so many people have backed it already.

Rapido certainly seem keen on the crowd funding setup for the foray into the British market. I wonder would it be worth approaching them with a proposal?

Rapido certainly seem keen on the crowd funding setup for the foray into the British market. I wonder would it be worth approaching them with a proposal?

Personally, I'm still undecided as to whether I would pre pay. Would as others have said very much depend on the model. However, I agree with Chris that Rapido would be an excellent choice of manufacturer where they interested. Their stuff seems to be great quality

However, I agree with Chris that Rapido would be an excellent choice of manufacturer where they interested. Their stuff seems to be great quality

Perhaps - but several people have indicated on here that they wont buy it unless its done by MM, talk about gullible.

It would have to be a 121 or an A Class for me too. A 121 with a Mk3 Push-Pull set would be brilliant :)

One of the main issues I can see with this is that; if the main delay in MM producing a 121 is the lack of funds due to unsold stock, there is the dilemma that a new model may attract more sales away from models already on the shelves.

Hence it not appearing. You have to spend money to make money....

If enough interest is produced then it shouldn't seem a problem, this was only live yesterday and so many people have backed it already.

Whats interesting there is the amounts of money that people are giving. Not even 1/4 of the way there yet, but this might change after Warley this weekend. Will be interesting if the target is reached....

Perhaps - but several people have indicated on here that they wont buy it unless its done by MM, talk about gullible.

While MM have undoubtedly done a great job with the releases to date, I think it's disadvantageous to lock our market into one manufacturer. We would be best exploring other options, and then perhaps we could have more than one thing done at once.

Not in any way meaning to put down MM, I am eternally grateful for the work Mr Murphy has down for our hobby. Just trying to be realistic

+1. He's done great work, but you'd swear he's the only man able to make a proper model judging by some of the posts on here.

Agree with you both. He has a proven track record. It natural for people to be hesitant with change, but once beneficial engenders a lot of new trust. If there's anyone or a limited group on the site capable of taking this forward, I'm prepared to back at least one or more models and several have expressed that. The problem is see with MM is not the quality of the product but the timeline for delivery which is generally sequential clearing out one model before being out the next. I understand why this us but it means that produced desirable past items are not readily available to purchase nor the awaited models like the presently awaited 121.

+1. He's done great work, but you'd swear he's the only man able to make a proper model judging by some of the posts on here.

Yup - and if 1 person thinks it on here there are many more in the real world....... Still think the Cravens are the best models MM have ever done (personally of course)

It really does depend. As an N guage modeller, I doubt that many, if any, RTR stuff will come out. It's well known even in the much larger UK market that 1 N gauge model sells for every 3-4 OO gauge item. If a good project came along and interested me and if I know the quality could be made, then I might fund it.

A 3 ICR would be a good idea - vital for the scene from late 2007 on. If you modelled that period, you could have Baby GM's, 071's, 201's. Mark 2-4 and ICR's, along with a few freight flows. A big dream of mine is modelling Portarlington pre re-building (off topic now!). As all ICR's have two common vehicles (A3 and B cars), only three bodyshells are needed. A cool feature would be working a Voith Turbo Teloscopic Schaku Coupler. That personally would be more likely from a Crowdfunded model that mainstream model.

It's always a risk to fund (even though you do get the money back if not successful). One or two failures of projects you've invested in and that's it, you are unlikely to invest again.

I will wait with interest, watching other crowd funded models and see how they get on before considering whether an Irish version would be good

The flipside of crowdfunding has revealed itself at Warley - Hornby have just announced their BR Class 71, after DJM sucessfully crowdfunded their model...

I saw that, I really need to get on with my DC Kits model. The shop commission was also shown up recently with Hattons commissioning DJM to do a GWR King whilst Hornby had been working on one too.

The flipside of crowdfunding has revealed itself at Warley - Hornby have just announced their BR Class 71, after DJM sucessfully crowdfunded their model...

Some concern has been expressed elsewhere about the number of DJM manufactured models that are being announced. How long will it take for them to be produced?

While Hornby's release dates are continuely being extended at least they do not have your money tied up while you wait.

I guess something that's less of an issue for Irish outline than our UK brothers - but given the scale of even both markets, it's shocking the overlaps. Competition is good, but duplication of efforts and dilution of the market makes sense for neither buyer nor seller.

Some concern has been expressed elsewhere about the number of DJM manufactured models that are being announced. How long will it take for them to be produced?

While Hornby's release dates are continuely being extended at least they do not have your money tied up while you wait.

Dont forget Hornby are suffering with supply and quality issues at present, Does not matter if you are the almost generic model railway brand and a well known company, if you drop the ball, someone else will quickly grab it and run away with it....

The 71 was crowdsourced (to prove the demand was there) whereas everything else by DJM was not. They had announced models that nobody else was planning - very surprised nobody had gone for a Class 59 and now DJM have.

When Bachmann announced the Blue Pullman, Olivias Trains who were in the process of commissioning Heljan to make one, backed off... no point in 2 high quality versions of the same model. Cant see this happening with an Irish model though

This is not only the problem with crowdfunding, but with wishlists....

I would be prepared to make initial negotiations with manufacturers regarding a crowd sourced model. I cant see the initial costs being too high. These costs would purely be to get the kickstarter page running and a small website for information etc. The advantage being for either a 121 or an A/C there are still existing prototypes rather than relying on drawings.... Nothing will happen until sufficient funding has been gathered, that is of course if the required amount is met

Dapol had announced a Class 59 years ago but never carried on - note that Dave Jones of DJ Models is the same Dave Jones that ran Dapol' date=' so presumably knew that the 59 wasn't happening[/quote']

Don't remember them announcing a 59 in OO. If they did I'd have been doing cartwheels.

No. But many can choose not to vote if that is their wish. Democracy at work.

I had posted a request for a flat "No" if people didn't want to, in order to give a better feel for the mood of the populace. Kinda like a general election in Ireland, 25% voter turnout!:rolleyes:

It looks like we pretty stuck with about 80 interested modelers albeit some did want to potentially buy more the one model :trains:

Dont forget Hornby are suffering with supply and quality issues at present, Does not matter if you are the almost generic model railway brand and a well known company, if you drop the ball, someone else will quickly grab it and run away with it....

The 71 was crowdsourced (to prove the demand was there) whereas everything else by DJM was not. They had announced models that nobody else was planning - very surprised nobody had gone for a Class 59 and now DJM have.

When Bachmann announced the Blue Pullman, Olivias Trains who were in the process of commissioning Heljan to make one, backed off... no point in 2 high quality versions of the same model. Cant see this happening with an Irish model though

This is not only the problem with crowdfunding, but with wishlists....

I know it seems irksome that people have different desires but this was initiated to see if there any potential for any model. Granted I think it has to boil down to what people want most of or it would not be economically viable

I think you're missing out on the people who don't frequent these forums, or those of a certain age who are keen irish modellers, but don't internet. There are also the glass cabinet collectors, who have no interest in running.

I think 109 votes represents only about 5-6% of Irish Railway Modellers.

R.

I would be prepared to make initial negotiations with manufacturers regarding a crowd sourced model. I cant see the initial costs being too high. These costs would purely be to get the kickstarter page running and a small website for information etc. The advantage being for either a 121 or an A/C there are still existing prototypes rather than relying on drawings.... Nothing will happen until sufficient funding has been gathered, that is of course if the required amount is met

If you know how to get this started, you'd have my backing for a independent or MM-associated 121 depending on how advanced the prep for that is, or an A or C (multiple):tumbsup:.