Belmond Hibernian - Luxury Touring Train

Rate this topic

Possibly' date=' 201bhoy, I'd agree with your points about some well painted; I suppose my real point is that for whatever reason, not as many tourists ask for them now. There'll always be at least a niche market though. Just on a personal basis not my thing.[/quote']

Yeah you're probably right there, interest has maybe died down a bit now that they're more in the distant past! About the livery, blue and cream like the cravens would be really nice but I'm sure they won't want to copy that...

It looks like a 111 will be hired for parts of the Northern tour though which is good news!

Where'd you hear that Warbonnet? Can we see the pic, even if it is photoshopped :( I wonder will they change locos in Dundalk/ Newry or wait til Belfast? I'm also wondering will the train stay in Belfast Central at night? Cause it's not in the greatest area, could be susceptible to stones being thrown at it over the fence...

I'm also wondering will the train stay in Belfast Central at night? Cause it's not in the greatest area, could be susceptible to stones being thrown at it over the fence...

Do remember not to include this sample of your work, if you send your CV to the Tourist Board.... :)

I think it depends if they fit TPWS to 216 or not. If not then a loco change at Dundalk. If it gets TPWS then a 111 would only be needed for parts of the NIR network that is not capable of taking the weight of a 201.

I'd imagine it will be needed due to weight restrictions on 201s. I'm sure they'll want 216 as flexible as possible and fit TPWS.

I won't :) I wonder why it is in general that so many railway stations seem to be in slightly seedy/dodgy areas..

Economics - cheap land and housing for workers built around it - management lived away in the 'better' areas...

Having said that, what was a "good" area in the mid nineteenth century when most railways were built, and where the "bad" areas then were, is often very different from the way things are today.

High class and fashionable rich merchant's town houses in Georgian times became the most awful tenements a hundred years later.

Some "bad" areas have had old substandard housing cleared away and smart new developments built there instead.

A lot of the Northern cities in England used to be the richest, in the days of wool, steel, coal, shipbuilding, etc. Now that's largely all gone and the wealth they created is still around, but it's mostly in the South, where people get paid for counting it. Same sort of thing as JHB says, but on a larger scale.

Indeed, Broithe..... and also, some of today's "bad areas" were rural country villages not only when the railways were bring built, but long after many had closed!

Look, for example (without labelling any very specific place) at the Dublin & Blessington Tramway. It closed in the early 1930s for the very reason that the areas it served didn't generate enough traffic. Some of those places along its route are now highly built up, and in some cases home to, emm, anti-social behaviour!

Incidentally, wouldn't the D & B make an amazing concept for a layout - a quirky unusual thing along the lines of David Holman's SLNCR?

I won't :) I wonder why it is in general that so many railway stations seem to be in slightly seedy/dodgy areas..

In the States they call it the "wrong side of the tracks" I know a few towns where there is no right side some surprisingly small places.

Indeed, Broithe..... and also, some of today's "bad areas" were rural country villages not only when the railways were bring built, but long after many had closed!

And, of course, many rural dwellers were poor enough before the cities started to grow and drew even more wealth away. Then the rich from the cities started to buy their 'rural retreats'.

I once lived in a stone cottage in the Cotswolds that would have been a slum a hundred years ago, but would cost you seven figures to buy today...

Look, for example (without labelling any very specific place) at the Dublin & Blessington Tramway. It closed in the early 1930s for the very reason that the areas it served didn't generate enough traffic. Some of those places along its route are now highly built up, and in some cases home to, emm, anti-social behaviour!

Incidentally, wouldn't the D & B make an amazing concept for a layout - a quirky unusual thing along the lines of David Holman's SLNCR?

My father once lived in the mountains above Brittas and had memories of the D&B in its final years even then some of the areas along its route had a bit of a reputation of being what we now call 'anti-social".

Rural places can be downright dangerous if you don't know the lie of the land. A group of us on a railfan trip to the Cass Scenic Railroad in West Virginia were advised to steer clear of the local taverns unless you were packing a gun.

American street gang culture can be prevalent even in the remotest of villages, a person can get into serious trouble by turning up in the wrong colour car or wearing the wrong colour tee shirt

Locals can be suspicious of strangers wandering into their territory particularly if they are distilling moonshine or some of the newer cash crops.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Mk3s being refurbed over in Scotland are in blue for photos I've seen. well the EGV is anyway. What's happening here with the green?

TTC, you should post that photo up on the Boards 201 thread too. If not can I drop it over there at some stage?

Edited by Railer