Bantry Town Station 1950's

Rate this topic

bantree

• 5 months later...

Ger, thanks for your comments. Its amazing just who reads this forum and the stuff that gets turned up, now we know who to really pester if we need information!,  Bantree (John ) has done all the buildings so far and the group is doing general scenic work. I have done a few wagons and locos a couple of coaches. Maybe one day Bantry will visit Bantry!

Stay healthy and happy.     Mick  :trains:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The pink and white buildings are card surface coated with shellac first. Then when dry I laid the wall face up.

I then painted them with 1) Pink chalk effect pink paint then while wet sprinkled with chinchilla dust, (sieved through a nylon pop sock-not mine!)most stays on the paint and

is left to dry overnight. When dry shake off stand building upright and any dust that has not stuck will obviously drop off.

You can go over any "bald" area by sprinkling sieved chinchilla dust on the patches and paint over the dust with the pink paint.

I was worried that the effect might be ruined by doing this but it works.

The cream/white is Sandtex paint applied as above.

Gordon Gravett uses chinchilla dust for ground surfaces but I found it very effective for buildings

Hope this helps-anything else you need to know please ask.

I believe the effect is pebble dashing

Thanks for kind words

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

Looking good John; lets hope  Bantry runs as well as it looks!!!!! 😀  I wonder if model railway exhibitions will happen next year? And will we still be social distancing? there's lots to think about.  :trains:

I have spent time using that vac formed glazing on a C class what a pain to get it to sit right, then drill .35 mm holes in tiny bits of brass to fit windscreen wipers. Hey ho only eight more to do.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Looking good John; lets hope  Bantry runs as well as it looks!!!!! 😀  I wonder if model railway exhibitions will happen next year? And will we still be social distancing? there's lots to think about.  :trains:

I have spent time using that vac formed glazing on a C class what a pain to get it to sit right, then drill .35 mm holes in tiny bits of brass to fit windscreen wipers. Hey ho only eight more to do.

Hi Mick thanks for that. Hope we can run Bantry this Autumn-fingers crossed but probably will be next year. it will be walkie talkies from one end to the other!

C class glazing sounds a bit fiddly to me but I bet it looks great.

1 hour ago, Broithe said:

Great idea, thanks.

To be honest, it's beginning to smell a bit now...

Hi Jim hope all is well with you

I get my chinchilla dust from a secret factory in darkest Lincolnshire-the workers get the chinchillas to shake the dust off themselves as they come through the door

They then bag it up!

Just a thought with a name like chinchilla they would be good for cooling your face in hot weather!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Long time no posts. Hope everybody is well.  Here are a couple of photos taken last night at Sleaford Model Railway Club Night. This is the board that has had the most work done. Hopefully next week we will add all buildings on this and start on the other boards.

2021-08-11 22.08.00.jpg

2021-08-11 22.08.13.jpg

2021-08-11 22.08.23.jpg

2021-08-11 22.08.46.jpg

2021-08-11 22.09.07.jpg

• Like 12
  • WOW! 1

18 hours ago, banntry said:

Long time no posts. Hope everybody is well.  Here are a couple of photos taken last night at Sleaford Model Railway Club Night. This is the board that has had the most work done. Hopefully next week we will add all buildings on this and start on the other boards.

2021-08-11 22.08.00.jpg

2021-08-11 22.08.13.jpg

2021-08-11 22.08.23.jpg

2021-08-11 22.08.46.jpg

2021-08-11 22.09.07.jpg

my favourite layout currently in progression. Looks very realistic 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, banntry said:

Selection of latest photos of Bantry taken at the club last night. A couple of shots show the excellent signal scratch built by Mick-superb job.

2021-09-29 21.36.43.jpg

2021-09-29 21.38.22.jpg

2021-09-29 21.37.35.jpg

2021-09-29 21.38.22.jpg

2021-09-29 21.37.20.jpg

2021-09-29 21.40.54.jpg

2021-09-29 21.41.41.jpg

2021-09-29 21.42.12.jpg

2021-09-29 21.48.06.jpg

2021-09-29 21.48.35.jpg

Looks just like the pictures!

side note: while they did go to skibbereen and clonakikty. The A’s never got to bantry….but I’m sure no one would notice if one got to yours!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Top class stuff, excellent work. Would be clear where it was even with no stock. Having the loco and stock really makes it though! One thing that’s especially good is the sense of space: too many layouts pile too much scenery and buildings into available space. This has the sparse look that characterises many an Irish station. 

Nicely captures the CBSC atmosphere - although on soft day it’s more of a miasma…

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1