Rate this topic

ttc0169

20 hours ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Looks great Noel, I presume a barrier wagon was a safety feature between the tanks and locomotive? What was in the wagon, was it just normal freight?

Yes Denis, it was common practice for a barrier wagon to be at the front and rear of the oil trains-to “protect”the contents of the wagons from sparks out of the exhausts of the locomotive,

The containers were empty. 

• Informative 3

On 25/1/2024 at 1:45 PM, ttc0169 said:

While looking for something else,I found a spare MIR MX two axle wagon kit,which was turned into a barrier wagon for the oil tank rake of wagons.

Lovely job, Noel. Nice use of an old kit. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On this day we celebrate the 37th anniversary of the establishment of Irish rail we turn back the clock to 02/02/1987 on Tara junction.

Locomotive 080 is seen here arriving at Tara junction with a repainted set of IR liveried Mk2 coaches as the transition from CIE to IR begins…..

Bus Eireann and Dublin bus also came into operation and we see an M,D,KR type buses in the new livery  

IMG_2890.jpeg

IMG_2891.jpeg

IMG_2895.jpeg

IMG_2897.jpeg

IMG_2893.jpeg

IMG_2896.jpeg

• Like 18

On 2/2/2024 at 2:35 PM, ttc0169 said:

On this day we celebrate the 37th anniversary of the establishment of Irish rail we turn back the clock to 02/02/1987 on Tara junction.

IMG_2897.thumb.jpeg.f4ed5c8c977ad8c6a40ff3c5890f7a83.jpeg.7e697ef940aeeec145bee9d2c4b35303.jpeg

That, just looks the business. Brilliant stuff as always, Noel. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ttc0169 said:

Thanks Jason,080 has been fitted with a sound chip so expect a video over the coming days.

Look forward to it. 080, along with 077 are my personal favourites from the MM071 releases. 080 in particular, looks great with the Mk2's. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An “Enterprising” night on Tara junction,

080 works the Belfast-Dublin Connolly Mk2 IR set representing the 1987-1993 era,

208 working a Derry-Dublin Connolly special representing the 1990s period

230 working the Dublin Connolly- Belfast De Dietrich set representing the 1997-present era. 

IMG_2955.jpeg

IMG_2952.jpeg

IMG_2957.jpeg

IMG_2954.jpeg

IMG_2958.jpeg

• Like 11
  • WOW! 1

1 hour ago, JasonB said:

What decoder are you using there, Noel. It sounds a little more beefed up, than the MM decoder for the 201. Or maybe I'm wrong.  

Hi Jason, the sound chip is from Mr Soundguys range-it has a drive hold feature. 

• Like 1

Found another MIR two axle wagon kit and finished  it off as an ex works barrier wagon for the rear of the oil train,complete with red tail lamps,coupling and vacuum brake pipe. 
A short oil wagon transfer trial is seen in Lakeview freight yard behind 018. 

IMG_2948.jpeg

IMG_2949.jpeg

• Like 9
  • WOW! 1

Just realised Noel, I have never posted on this  layout- too busy being awestruck I suppose. So just for the record I want to say: "Ah its alright"😀 Seriously though, it is absolutely amazing (not that you need the likes of me to tell you that). I shudder to think of the hours you have dedicated to it. Absolutely worth the effort. Fantastic! The level of realism is just beyond it......

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

On 17/2/2024 at 9:51 PM, ttc0169 said:

Added the “No Smoking” window labels to the MM Mk2s earlier-next up will be the fitting of interior lights.

IMG_3016.jpeg

I wonder did anyone ever actually get put in prison for smoking on a train...................... or, indeed, fined £400? Let alone both.......

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

On 17/2/2024 at 9:51 PM, ttc0169 said:

Added the “No Smoking” window labels to the MM Mk2s earlier-next up will be the fitting of interior lights. 

IMG_3003.jpeg

IMG_3005.jpeg

IMG_3016.jpeg

I know it might seem inexplicable, but l love adding those 'No Smoking' signs on!     They really look great !!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, Rob said:

I know it might seem inexplicable, but l love adding those 'No Smoking' signs on!     They really look great !!

Yep, have to agree with you, Rob. There's something strangely satisfying about it :) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

On 23/2/2024 at 9:11 AM, ttc0169 said:

Found another MIR two axle wagon kit and finished  it off as an ex works barrier wagon for the rear of the oil train,complete with red tail lamps,coupling and vacuum brake pipe. 
A short oil wagon transfer trial is seen in Lakeview freight yard behind 018. 

IMG_2948.jpeg

IMG_2949.jpeg

Hi Noel, I decided to read over the complete thread (yes all 70 pages) to see how it began, only to see that page one contains pics of an already existing layout. Although this was back in 2012 I am just wondering if you had images posted elsewhere of the beginnings of the layout? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, derek said:

Hi Noel, I decided to read over the complete thread (yes all 70 pages) to see how it began, only to see that page one contains pics of an already existing layout. Although this was back in 2012 I am just wondering if you had images posted elsewhere of the beginnings of the layout? 

Hi Derek 

Thanks for taking the time to view all of the pages….the layout on page one was constructed back in 2006…and was a learning curve for me…a subsequent marriage and house move meant that Tara junction no1 was scrapped and the mistakes learned from it were corrected and the present layout was built during 2014/15,

I did take photos of the layout back then and they were posted to a former railway modeller forum now non existent from what I can see. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A chance enquiry at the Heljan stand at Model rail Scotland last weekend about a possible rerun of the oil tank wagons led to the gentleman opening a drawer and producing four tankers-needless to say I was delighted and a purchase was made….

IMG_3085.jpeg

• Like 12

11 hours ago, ttc0169 said:

A chance enquiry at the Heljan stand at Model rail Scotland last weekend about a possible rerun of the oil tank wagons led to the gentleman opening a drawer and producing four tankers-needless to say I was delighted and a purchase was made….

Lovely wagons, Noel. I'd like to get my hands on a few of these and see how they'd look with the SSM detailing kit applied. 

• Agree 2