00 scale corrugated iron sheeting

Rate this question

jhb171achill

Question

Anyone know where I'd get decent quality, realistic 00 scale model corrugated sheeting? I'm sure I saw something online once but can't find it.

I'm trying to make buildings similar to what you'd find on the Valentia line, or many locations in West Cork. Any kits I find look far too toy-like, and for good measure cost a kings ransom to post from England. I'll make my own, but I need something that looks like scale sized sheeting!

34 answers to this question

I have used the Wills corrugated sheets for buildings on various layouts, including a loco shed, Wills also do a thin translucent sheeting which is useful for roofs where you dont want a thick edge showing 

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/Wills-Kits-SSMP216-Corrugated-Iron-4-sheets-(75x133mm)-per-pack/

ii you want something more realisitic Ambis Engineering EIW Corrugated sheeting http://www.ambisengineering.co.uk/Products/Products_Index.htm.

The main advantage of the Wills sheets over the EIW sheeting, is that there is no need for a supporting structure.

my pictures back up file 2004 039.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PaulC said:

The one disadvantage of Wills sheets is the thickness requiring a lot of cutting and accuracy to produce the required result. The main structures aren't too bad but windows and doors can be a real pain to get right. 

Paul

Agree.  I tend to use balsa 1/4" strips for structural stability and to avoid long term warping that plastic card is prone to, particularly if exposed to sunlight for periods of the day (i.e. near a window).

Hi jhb

Corrugated sheeting can be easily home spun- with a little practice;-

Here's one I prepared earlier

5a8bfe254852a_CorrugatedRoof-00IMAG1873.jpg.fbce4d9dee4c8b0d2dcb3d5b7149fb5d.jpg

Tinfoil, cardboard or styrene base, pva glue and a long spring- cut the card to the size required, then spread the pva glue on it nice and thick, then lay the tinfoil on top, then roll the spring over the laminate with light pressure. The glue squeezes out where the spring wire makes contact leaving a nice corrugation look, a little practice to perfect the technique and you could sheet your whole kitchen.... then all that is needed is painting & decoration!

Eoin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

JB, 

I got catering tin foil, sprayed spray mount glue on it, and folded four sheets over to give it some density. I got some corrugated plastic and cut two pieces to size to make a simple hand press. Cut the tin foil into long strips and used a little roller from the kitchen drawer to get even compression and glued it to the cardboard base of the roof. Plenty wobble in it to look prototypically wonky! Takes ages to make that amount below, mind. R. 

DSCF5075.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 3

Very many thanks, gents. It's for a small shed, the superstructure of which is already made out of heavy cardboard.  I'd be looking for something that can be cut into the right dimensions and glued onto the sides of it. The roof will be easy enough - card or plastic sheet painted and with tissue over it to look like a felt roof.

I'm thinking of doing the station building the same way, a bit like West Cork or Valentia.

5 hours ago, Glenderg said:

JB, 

I got catering tin foil, sprayed spray mount glue on it, and folded four sheets over to give it some density. I got some corrugated plastic and cut two pieces to size to make a simple hand press. Cut the tin foil into long strips and used a little roller from the kitchen drawer to get even compression and glued it to the cardboard base of the roof. Plenty wobble in it to look prototypically wonky! Takes ages to make that amount below, mind. R. 

DSCF5075.jpg

Swoooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnn........

• Thanks 1

Valencia and Courtmacsherry both use Wills sheets good and robust.Valencias survived 6 years on the exhibition circuit with no problems.As for accurate cutting of windows,doors etc,do all your marking and cutting out on the back ,much easier.Best thing for cutting is an Olfa cutter as it removes material rather than cuts it,check Eileens or Squires.Andy.

I had that idea myself. I looked to see what was available commercially, and there's a very nice Skaledale one (Butterley extension) which looks like what I want. It's a wooden building, which I'd be prepared to have, as my location is fictitious. 

I have done a rough design, so it'll be much like Mountain Stage or Valentia or the like. Must try to finish it tonight!

1 hour ago, popeye said:

Slaters plastikard do a sheet No 0436 £3.00 white.

Just a bit smaller than A4. 

Easy cut.

https://slatersplastikard.com/plastikard/embossed.php

Anyone seen this stuff - is it coarse and toylike or realistic enough? Checked Marks Models website, and they don't seem to stock it. Need to order from Brexitland, presumably........

43 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Anyone seen this stuff - is it coarse and toylike or realistic enough? Checked Marks Models website, and they don't seem to stock it. Need to order from Brexitland, presumably........

It's 15 thou thick in 4mm scale, apparently - looks like it might be flat underneath?

prod_17811.jpg

Many thanks, Broithe.

If it was flat underneath, it might aid construction. That said, I wouldn't want it to be obvious how thick it was.

Was browsing Valentia line stations this evening. Some were corrugated iron and some wooden plank. I think I'll go for corrugated as first choice, but if I don't like the look of my efforts, or indeed the construction materials themselves, the wooden plank version will appear instead.

29 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Many thanks, Broithe.

If it was flat underneath, it might aid construction. That said, I wouldn't want it to be obvious how thick it was.

Was browsing Valentia line stations this evening. Some were corrugated iron and some wooden plank. I think I'll go for corrugated as first choice, but if I don't like the look of my efforts, or indeed the construction materials themselves, the wooden plank version will appear instead.

There is a possibility that it is stocked near me - if it is (and I remember), I will try to inspect some tomorrow...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Broithe said:

It's 15 thou thick in 4mm scale, apparently - looks like it might be flat underneath?

prod_17811.jpg

That doesn't look like the my corrugated sheet, I have great piles of Slaters plasticard unfortunately without numbers! The one on the left is the 4mm corrugated, that on the right is probably actually planking and corresponds with the one that Broithe has uploaded.

The corrugated  sheeting isn't flat on the back and I always used it with plasticard support i.e. built the building shell in the same material so that it could be glued together with mekpak to stop the corrugated sheet warping when painted

Ernie

DSC01977.JPG

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

That doesn't look like the my corrugated sheet, I have great piles of Slaters plasticard unfortunately without numbers! The one on the left is the 4mm corrugated, that on the right is probably actually planking and corresponds with the one that Broithe has uploaded.

The corrugated  sheeting isn't flat on the back and I always used it with plasticard support i.e. built the building shell in the same material so that it could be glued together with mekpak to stop the corrugated sheet warping when painted

Ernie

DSC01977.JPG

That looks much better, especially if there are going to be overlaps necessary.

3 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Ernie - is that light 4mm stuff Slaters too? I wonder what reference number it is? That's exactly what I'm looking for.

I've done some more digging! well actually I took the dogs and a tape measure up to the Haltwhistle allotments to measure some prototype corrugated iron as I was a bit concerned that the earlier photo actually showed the Slaters 7mm scale plasticard rather than the 4mm. Information gleaned from the allotment visit is that corrugations are 3" wide or 4 to the foot (Plus if you are planting potato's in horse manure you should mature the manure for a year before useing it!)

Back to the plasticard, it thus follows that there should be 4 corrugations per 4mm, my earlier photo has 4 per 7mm so it is O Scale. Digging through the plasticard I found a 4mm sheet, this is the one on the right of the new photo. They are both definitely Slaters the 4mm one is ref 0436

Ernie

DSC01979.JPG

Thanks, Ernie, i've just ordered some! With the assistance of Vol. 1 of Patrick O'Sullivan's history of the Valentia line, in which he has drawings (to what looks like 2mm scale) of Cahirciveen and Mountain Stage stations, I'm doing a drawing at the moment of something roughly in between the two in size.

Mine will have what will look like a felt-surfaced roof, as some such buildings had. While many corrugated iron buildings had (have) roofs of the same material, I just thought it would look a bit like overkill on the model. There will be corrugated-sided goods shed also!

Well, I did remember to call at the shop, but it's Wednesday here and he seems to be one of the few remaining adherents to the old "half-day Wednesday" rule.

Corrugated metal sheeting is now almost always to a 3"/76mm pitch - some plastic and reinforced cement sheets are to different pitches at times. In the past, pitches from 1 to 5 inches were used - the shorter pitches were used more often on vertical (wall) panels, and the larger pitches on flat/sloping (roof) panels. The 7mm scale sheet could be used for 5" sheeting?

On the Big Island, one will still come across the odd surviving Nissen hut, with its curved sheets..

Edited by Broithe
Punctuation - tut!