Past-Avenue

Rate this topic

Past-Avenue

Past - Avenue

Past – Avenue is not based on any particular location. As we both have had different backgrounds and things that are special to us individually and together we decided to base it on our lives instead of a place.  I have a wide variety of locomotives and as this layout is not based on any time I can run them all on this layout with minimal changes.

We have included childhood memories of family businesses, things we like to do, our lifestyle and hobbies from past and up to the present day.

To incorporate everything on one layout we have included the family businesses which were farming and the creamery and a car garage (coming soon) where we both would have individually worked growing up.

We love to travel and have a camper van which we bring around Ireland on many trips throughout the year so we wanted to include a campsite on the layout.

All the shops have some personal meaning to us including some family names and our current business.

One of our main hobbies is motorsport which is included showing the race track but we also do an off road motorsport called mudplugging – Sporting trials which we will get around to showing in one of the fields before the next show.

As a child I had a train set and a few years ago I got it out of my mother’s attic and here we are today. We have loved the model making, and we have made everything from scratch as much as possible, learning from books and you tube videos and talking to other model makers and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience in our spare time.

Enda and Siobhan

• Like 11

Thanks. It was never planned to be moved out of the spair bedroom let alone bring  it to a show up till a few months ago Gerry Byrne got around me to bring it to Wexford. I only started into the hobby about 4 years ago and I've tried to make as much as possible myself, buildings, scenery etc. There not nearly as nice as the bought ones but that's where I get most of my enjoyment from 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Broithe said:

I wonder if there should be a little Italian bistro somewhere? I always read your name on here (without the space) as pasta venue....

Glad I'm not the only one! I didn't manage to get any photos over the weekend - I think it was one of the most popular layouts at the show!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all

I will be exhibiting  Past-Avenue layout this coming Sunday 20/10 at the Wexford Model Railway club on a open day at St Joseph's hall Wexford ,

i will have a lot off my resprayed stock inc Grey 071s ,mk3s etc etc soplease come along and have a chat ,

There will be a good number off layouts on display inc there Little Siddington layout and Eamonn Redmonds Bogroad plus many more,

Admission is free  ,

Looking forward to meeting new and existing  modelers 

Enda 

• Like 5
  • WOW! 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks jhb171achill it's my first layout and still loads that i want to add  (most are small details) and putting a old style garage in front  off the station on the lower level .

I also like scratch building as much as i can and resprays off locos and stock

I have explained all about the layout at the start off this tread witch explains all about the design off the layout 

Enda

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi guys I have just weathered one of my 121s as I find the IRs are very bright in my eyes and I think it's a big difference and brings a model to life.6 months ago if you had said that I would be weathering a new model I would have laughed at you but I'd encourage anyone to give it a go. Thank god I had no issues with damage etc in transit. They are a fantastic model and we have a lot to be thankful for as modelers. Stay safe and hopefully we can get to some shows next year. 

Enda 

20201223_112130.jpg

20201223_114626.jpg

• Like 16
  • WOW! 2

• 10 months later...

Hi it's been a while since I've posted but I've been ticking along with a few bits and I had a go at weathering a A class. I'm happy enough with the results but will try and do a better job on the next one and maybe not as heavily weathered. You can see the difference in the last picture. These are a great model and thanks to IRM .

Enda20211124_222258.thumb.jpg.a6cc0a7614ffd0373c3d0bba32dced10.jpg20211124_100706.thumb.jpg.66062711ec8eacb9b9d763dfa8c629e5.jpg20211124_100631.thumb.jpg.0386daab35ab845fadff0ec726b05b11.jpg20211124_101242.thumb.jpg.94de5c41e4a508317db34a1392356eb1.jpg

• Like 11
  • WOW! 3

Thanks DJ

I desoildered the wire going to the cab light as I only run in one direction mostly. As a result you can really see the control panel lights. I put a bit of tape over the other cab lights to tone them down a little and it looks better and you can see the control panel lights much better.20211127_064941.thumb.jpg.08a3a0890fa3aaf0f97000106e84337a.jpg20211025_210133.thumb.jpg.88f408be21f97f5b003f79997c92f5f7.jpg

• Like 6
  • WOW! 1

Hi Past-Avenue,

As a recent newbi to this wonderful hobby I've watched hundreds of YouTube videos, including yours, and was struck by how much interest and design you have managed to capture in this space - very well done.

A few of brief questions if I may: - (1) what are the dimensions of your baseboard ? - (2) DC or DCC ? - (3) do you use point motors ? - (4) what % are the incline & decline ? - (5) is the inner tunnel a dead end under the hill ?

Apologies for any intrusion & many thanks in advance.

Rush & Lusk (George) 

3 hours ago, Rush and Lusk said:

Hi Past-Avenue,

As a recent newbi to this wonderful hobby I've watched hundreds of YouTube videos, including yours, and was struck by how much interest and design you have managed to capture in this space - very well done.

A few of brief questions if I may: - (1) what are the dimensions of your baseboard ? - (2) DC or DCC ? - (3) do you use point motors ? - (4) what % are the incline & decline ? - (5) is the inner tunnel a dead end under the hill ?

Apologies for any intrusion & many thanks in advance.

Rush & Lusk (George) 

Hi Thanks for your nice comments. 

The layout is on a 8x4 sheet of MDF.It's DCC with point motors and all linked back to a control panel. The inner tunnel goes under the station with a passing loop/  storage yard witch is about 7ft .The track continues and exits at the front under the race track. I can run a train 3 times around the layout before it comes back where it started. I can also run 2 trains in opposite directions using the crossover at the front of the layout. Hopefully this helps and I've loads of videos on YouTube but please feel free to ask for more information if you need.

Enda

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Rush and Lusk said:

Hi Enda,

Thanks so much for this very helpful information - it certainly enhances my appreciation of what you have achieved and offers several ideas for me to consider.

Happy modelling and thanks again.

Regards,

George 

Thanks George and enjoy your modeling experience 

Enda