Provincial Wagons' next wagon?

Rate this topic

leslie10646

5 hours ago, DiveController said:

No one else doing this era Leslie so I'll take a short rakes as usual. When did they Palvans first come into traffic?

Thanks, Kevin!

The "PALvans" by which I assume we are all talking about the sliding door jobs, series 26001 - 26500  (just checkin' ....) were introduced in 1964 (I'm quoting Oliver Doyle and Stephen Hirsch from their invaluable little booklet Locos and Rolling Stock of CIE and NIR (1979). Noted for having had three different end designs!

Not sure if practical for resin but maybe supply the ends in two reversible sections for a mix and match build, the same for the door panels? These vans looked most striking with both doors slid open...

Edited by NIR
  • WOW! 1

The pal vans also had 2 different door types. The photos I have seen suggest that those in the original gray livery had more visible bracing while those repainted into reddish brown had a more solid appearance. I wonder if the doors were reinforced by adding a panel to the outside before being repainted?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Thanks, Kevin!

The "PALvans" by which I assume we are all talking about the sliding door jobs, series 26001 - 26500  (just checkin' ....) were introduced in 1964 (I'm quoting Oliver Doyle and Stephen Hirsch from their invaluable little booklet Locos and Rolling Stock of CIE and NIR (1979). Noted for having had three different end designs!

That will fit in my preferred era very nicely

6 hours ago, patrick said:

The pal vans also had 2 different door types. The photos I have seen suggest that those in the original gray livery had more visible bracing while those repainted into reddish brown had a more solid appearance. I wonder if the doors were reinforced by adding a panel to the outside before being repainted?

7 hours ago, NIR said:

Not sure if practical for resin but maybe supply the ends in two reversible sections for a mix and match build, the same for the door panels? These vans looked most striking with both doors slid open...

That would certainly add to the appeal of these van, different ends and  doors types. I might need a few more of them if those are options!! Doors open, would be fantastic nears the goods shed/yard with a fork lift which is how they were loaded with pallets as I recall

Edited by DiveController

1 hour ago, DiveController said:

That will fit in my preferred era very nicely

That would certainly add to the appeal of these van, different ends and  doors types. I might need a few more of them if those are options!! Doors open, would be fantastic nears the goods shed/yard with a fork lift which is how they were loaded with pallets as I recall

Make the runners part of the roof and the floor sections rather than the sides, then select your door position... easier to mould too?

Hi Leslie 

I think I used Parkside Dundas vanwide kit and 12 ton covered van kit here is a link to a previous thread 

I still think it would be worth while offering a kit as many people don’t want to take the kit bashing route which involves a good deal of work whereas your kit would be a lot simpler and quicker to put together. 

Edited by flange lubricator

6 hours ago, flange lubricator said:

I still think it would be worth while offering a kit as many people don’t want to take the kit bashing route which involves a good deal of work whereas your kit would be a lot simpler and quicker to put together. 

Thanks, Flange for the explanation - I suspect you're right!

And Yes, NIR, I was aware of the triangular chassis, which put the van on my radar (as three of my kits feature that chassis).

The question remains -

HOW MANY OF YOU WOULD BUY THEM (and an idea of how many)!  PLEASE!

Michael is even older than me and I want to put his skills to good use!

If I have time, I'll put out a sheet out at Blackrock and you can tell me what you'd like to see - if it was built after 1970, tell the IRM lads!

Back to packing orders! Thanks for those of you who told me what you want for the weekend!

Leslie

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Edo said:

Simply - anything that ran on CIE lines south of Dublin between 1950 and 1980 - Im interested!!

Ed

Me too.

17 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

HOW MANY OF YOU WOULD BUY THEM (and an idea of how many)!  PLEASE!

Leslie

I will definitely take 5 or 6 minimum.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1