RTR OO Gauge Cattle Engine

Rate this topic

Mayner

I am looking at the feasibility of releasing a rtr model of the J5 or 623 Class 0-6-0 in OO Gauge.

The locos will be DCC ready, all metal construction with 5 pole can motor with single flywheel with precision gearbox and Markits wheels.

Likely cost £600 with 10% deposit at production tooling stage based on a minimum production run of 25 locos balance payable on completion.

Class J 5 - 623 - M&GWR Class Fb 0-6-0, built 1924 by Broadstone Works as M&GWR No.86, 1924 to M&GWR No.35, 1925 to GSR No.623, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1957 - seen here at Mullingar, 08/53.

Introduced as the MGWR F Class in the early 1920s these locos were the final Midland design a powerful mixed traffic 0-6-0 capable of working both goods and passenger trains including the Night Mails and heavy GAA specials and the all important cattle traffic on the Midland network. At least one of these locos worked on the Southern 641 was loaned to Waterford in 1949 to assist in the Beet Campaign.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

• Like 2

Much as I would love A J5, without having to scratch build it myself and  I totally accept the smaller market i think that price resistance wold be felt at £600. The £300 for the  00 works 101 was heading towards the top of my expenditure platform with sound and DCC added.

But a very nice long term plan.

Regards Mick

49 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

.....i think that price resistance would be felt at £600.....

The mental jump to a £600 level for a British/Irish outline engine is quite a considerable one but, if it had been a continental HO model, that price level would be seen as reasonable!

I suppose it's all about what you're conditioned to accept.

• Like 1

This is a fantastic opportunity for those of us lacking the skills to build from scratch. I like others paused at the price and like just about everyone else I've committed to a lot of purchasing this year. But the opportunity is too good to miss and it seems to me that this project will take twelve months or so to come to fruition so count me in. Tom

Depending on how sturdy my wallet is at the time, I would LOVE a Midland "cattle engine". Leslie is about to do CIE cattle wagons, so a long line of those with a CIE brake van at the back - perfect.

Coming sooner, I have to deal with three 121s, four A's, ten Provincial cattle wagons and a G2 2.4.0 from Mayner - coming on top of two of the excellent J15s from Roderick........ $£$€€€€€ but WELL worth it.

Looking at the next few releases money wise

A X 17 @ €190    = €3230 + €20 for the Ltd Ed €3250

Liners X 5  @ 100 € = €460

Ferts Probably the same

Guinness ditto

Spoils ditto

Weedspray a tad dearer?

So probably around €2200 - €2300

121 X 12 at a minimum of  €190 a pop = €2280

At least €7750

Jasus!!!!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

A symptom of being spoiled in the riches offered but it should be taken advantage of if at all possible, we may never have such opportunities again.. I would also expect a lull next year (hardly likely that there will be a repeat of two offerings such as the A's and 121's).  So look at the J5's as being in next year's budget.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

I'm after spending that on my 31-yr-old Citroën CX over the last two years, partly due to gearbox failure.

'tis all relative.

Chap next door had one - lovely car when it worked. When the starter failed, we couldn't jack it up to change the motor, because that whole thing was lying on the floor. We stuck a pulley on a drill and used that to pump the hydraulics up, so we could get the stands under it and get at the starter motor.

The way people's cost projections are rising here, it just needs somebody to release an 00 scale model of a children's hospital...

• Funny 1

14 minutes ago, Broithe said:

Chap next door had one - lovely car when it worked. When the starter failed, we couldn't jack it up to change the motor, because that whole thing was lying on the floor. We stuck a pulley on a drill and used that to pump the hydraulics up, so we could get the stands under it and get at the starter motor.

The way people's cost projections are rising here, it just needs somebody to release an 00 scale model of a children's hospital...

So far, mostly working alright. It went to the recent Coventry Citroën event.

Never mind a children's hospital - Crossrail or HS2 would do, or that nuclear plant that the French and Chinese are supposed to be building....

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

On 6/28/2019 at 11:21 AM, Horsetan said:

I'm after spending that on my 31-yr-old Citroën CX over the last two years, partly due to gearbox failure.

'tis all relative.

I already counted on this being in next year's budget 6-9 months will be a year before it's done realistically.

PM sent @Mayner

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

Im sorely tempted - even tho Im more a GSWR/DSER /GSR /Early CIE man ....ie anywhere south of the bog of Allen before 1979 - tho as Mayner has stated - these beautiful beasts were known to be seen in the southern system for the beet season ( also the GNR 060's - anybody doing them?) So would be right up my alley....

In theory i've no problem with the price - limited edition virtually handcrafted product .....more a matter of financial logistics for me - I'm committed to certain numbers of As and 121's - aswell as at least of one of each of IRMs' forthcoming wagons , not forgetting a good amount of Provincial wagons present and future catalogue and a not inconsiderable bit off IFM and Silverfox over the next 18 months as I'm starting from virtually scratch....while I have a few bits and pieces - there is still track , control and scenics on top of that

I guess what Im trying to say is- yes - but give me some time!....

I'm just going to be an awkward Sea Trout about this ( yeh - i'm hooked - but if ye think I'm coming in easily.....😀)

I'm totally interested - more than anything because its Irish Steam and that doesn't happen everyday

Mayner -  give us a Euro price approx and an an approx delivery time ( Oct 2020 would be ideal!) And I think we could defo do business! ( i'll be in touch by next week!)

Don't be to put off by the price lads - Irish Steam is not on the radar of the larger producers at the moment - a limited edition of this rarity and quality should be quite a catch and little piece of history.

My two cents

Ed

Edited by Edo
Feckin grammar
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Show me another

1864336210_7mmJ530062019.jpg.b558de10522e74b436453b9311fbe871.jpg

625 32mm gauge one of a batch built by the late Harry Connaghton a Dublin based professional model maker in the late 1970s

Harry batch built models of GNR & ex-Midland locos and stock mainly in 7mm some models in OO including a GNR Compound, and JT 2-4-2T tank.

The OO  gauge JT was priced around £30 when the Britannia pacific the most expensive loco in the Triang Hornby range was priced £5---------£5-s10-0 range.

The JM Design J5 will be to a similar or higher standard to Harry Connaughton's models.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 5

John,

A wee question? The picture you posted shows the engine in a lovely, slightly weathered condition. Would you consider producing your planned model in such a condition? Oh, I have also sent you a Private Message.

Kindest regards,

David White.

Class J 5 - 623 - M&GWR Class Fb 0-6-0, built 1924 by Broadstone Works as M&GWR No.86, 1924 to M&GWR No.35, 1925 to GSR No.623, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1957 - seen here at Mullingar, 08/53.

Edited by Old Blarney

Hi David

Yes I received your message, its likely that I will be going ahead with the design work for the J5 once I complete the artwork for the 52 Class & Midland Standard Goods (kits).

I would be reluctant to commit at this stage to produce a weathered variation of the J5, weathering is very subjective its much simpler from a production and quality point of view to produce an ex-works finish.

Edited by Mayner

11 hours ago, Old Blarney said:

John,

A wee question? The picture you posted shows the engine in a lovely, slightly weathered condition. Would you consider producing your planned model in such a condition? Oh, I have also sent you a Private Message.

Kindest regards,

David White.

David (and Ed)

If my memory hasn't failed me, these yokes pulled DSER suburbans in the 1950s and were (sometimes) kept spotlessly clean.

I have a photo of TWO of these engines at Broadstone in 1959 - I'll stick it up later - too big to load, so needs cropping!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

4 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

David (and Ed)

If my memory hasn't failed me, these yokes pulled DSER suburbans in the 1950s and were (sometimes) kept spotlessly clean.

I have a photo of TWO of these engines at Broadstone in 1959 - I'll stick it up later - too big to load, so needs cropping!

They regularly worked Dunlaoire Pier trains, possibly too heavy at 17.8 ton axle load to work south of Dunlaoire.

Some of the Midland Cs Class 4-4-0s (axleload 17 tons) 540-44  ended their days in the early 1950s on DSER suburban services.

"I last fired on of this class in 1954 on the DSER suburban services. She was being worked to death at this time and , still steaming freely, bucked her way from Bray to Dubin until it was no longer safe to have her on the road.  Cuscah would have been horified to see his fine mainline steeds on a glorified tram service" J O'Neill  A Decade of Steam RPSI 1973?

Class D 6 - 544 - M&GWR Class C1 4-4-0 - built 1915 by Broadstone Works as M&GWR No.11 ERIN-GO-BRAGH - 1925 to GSR as No.544, 1926 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1955 - seen here at Kingsbridge.

Another one for the wish list?

• Like 4