Freight Containers (Irish) OO Gauge- 40ft or 20 ft

Rate this topic

Rob

20 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Thanks, Noel!

🙂

So when my grey 078 arrives in a week or two, she can haul 42' flats with a mix 9'6" high cubes and 8'6" boxes, and that will be a relatively accurate representation of today?

Or the 9'6" highcubes only go on 47' flats and not 42' flats?

Yes-bear in mind that 9’6’’ containers are only carried on the 47’ bogie wagons with tanks,40’ and 20’ containers generally carried on the 42’ wagons,

See attached photos from Athlone station with your locomotive 078 arriving taken in January 2021. 

39776BC6-F488-48CC-A775-FDEBCED9C0EB.jpeg

AA596984-B0D0-41DE-A98B-EA73DBD75992.jpeg

FD8932BD-4461-4B7E-80D8-4CDAF1B4092C.jpeg

8C24E5A8-79EE-4A41-A165-EFB8253CE15D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DiveController said:

Why on 47' flats only?

Are the high Cubes predominantly 45' in length like P&O?

(40' HiCube are being used on the 47" like ONE also)

45ft HC= inter-Europe= 47ft flat

40ft DV(8ft 6in) or 40ft HC(9ft 6in)= rest of world= 47ft or 42ft flat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

31 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

So 40ft HC's are rare in Europe?

Generally European focused shipping lines(Eucon, CLDN, Samskip, DFDS,ECS etc) operate 45ft HC which are the same dims as a road trailer(13.6m).. these are longer and slightly wider and basically are the max size that is legal in the countries they are used in..

And ones between Europe and the rest of world or outside Europe operate 20fts or 40fts..

But there are exceptions to every rule..

Edited by MOGUL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

• 6 months later...

I am repurposing a few of  the 42’ flats from spoil use to containers. I will use them for two approximate eras:

1.   Mid 80s, have CAST, Tex and Bell

2.   2010 (ish) to present,  have Maersk, CMA-CGM, MSC, Evergreen,

was wondering if anyone has any firm sighting/photos of Evergreen 40’ boxes on Irish liner services?

John

• Like 1

Deffo a 40' as the 45's have the inboard anchor points (to allow stacking with 40s) as can be seen on the third container which is a 45' Hi Cube in the same pic. Don't think the pic is correctly captioned however. That's surely the retro livery with those leds I would have thought.

Edited by murphaph
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

17 hours ago, johnfromoz said:

I am repurposing a few of  the 42’ flats from spoil use to containers. I will use them for two approximate eras:

1.   Mid 80s, have CAST, Tex and Bell

2.   2010 (ish) to present,  have Maersk, CMA-CGM, MSC, Evergreen,

was wondering if anyone has any firm sighting/photos of Evergreen 40’ boxes on Irish liner services?

John

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Deffo a 40' as the 45's have the inboard anchor points (to allow stacking with 40s) as can be seen on the third container which is a 45' Hi Cube in the same pic. Don't think the pic is correctly captioned however. That's surely the retro livery with those leds I would have thought.

Agreed- Definitely not 1987- with the 45' Cobelfret, it looks recent enough from the last few years at most, but shows the Evergreen does appear.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rob said:

Agreed- Definitely not 1987- with the 45' Cobelfret, it looks recent enough from the last few years at most, but shows the Evergreen does appear.

Misinterpreted the year in the late night as it does look a few decades more modern than that with the 071 in retro livery ( I have amended my original post)

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, Arran said:

Thanks Arran, most helpful.  Further digging has unearthed a decent still of 073 hauling an Evergreen amongst others.  Surprisingly, while pictures of Dublin, Cork and Waterford sea ports are awash with Evergreen containers, they do seem not that common on the liner trains in recent years,  far outnumbered by Eucon and Consent leasing. Anyway, it seems I can use many of the UK retailed containers like OCL, COSCO, CMA-CGM, MSC ete etc for relatively modern IWT liners.

7 hours ago, DiveController said:

Evergreen Orange

Difficult angle I know but looks like a 40' box ......

Ballina to North Wall Dublin at Glasnevin (c) Darren Hall on Flickr c. 1987

Thanks,  have found picture of same train from the front at North Wall.  Very useful, as I have a few Evergreens to use.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Yes John- from regularly stalking the IWT liner at North Wall for years, coupled with hours of watching videos of lrish container trains on-line going back a decade or so (l need to get out more), l too previously tried to piece together what available containers would suit a modern liner.

CAI / CRONOS / EVERGREEN / GENSTAR / HAPAG LLOYD / K LINE / MSC / MAERSK / OOCL / ONE OCEAN / CMA CGM/ HAMBURG SUD / KYK LOGISTICS / TIPHOOK.

20 ft Tankers:  BRUHN / GCA TAINER / DANA / EUROTAINER / HOYER

Hope it helps.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 5
  • Informative 2

6 hours ago, johnfromoz said:

Thanks Arran, most helpful.  Further digging has unearthed a decent still of 073 hauling an Evergreen amongst others.  Surprisingly, while pictures of Dublin, Cork and Waterford sea ports are awash with Evergreen containers, they do seem not that common on the liner trains in recent years,  far outnumbered by Eucon and Consent leasing. Anyway, it seems I can use many of the UK retailed containers like OCL, COSCO, CMA-CGM, MSC ete etc for relatively modern IWT liners.

Thanks,  have found picture of same train from the front at North Wall.  Very useful, as I have a few Evergreens to use.

Cheers

John

I intend to do a thread on containers at some stage, but a few things have held me back time wise(work and new baby!)

Evergreens do occasionally travel on the IWT liner, but usually just 1 per train.. It wouldn’t be particularly true to life to have a train of 5 of them say..

the box above is a 40ft DV, 8ft 6in box.. Think Arran had one in his range..

Edited by MOGUL
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Congrats on the baby MOGUL! It's rare we talk babies here and are not referring to the 8 cylinder two stroke diesel kind.

Thanks @murphaph..

She’s 10 weeks old now, so starting to hit our stride on parenting.. That and the liners being back to 5 per week each way(there’s more work in not running trains!)means that time might become available to finally start that thread! 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MOGUL said:

I intend to do a thread on containers at some stage, but a few things have held me back time wise(work and new baby!)

8 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Congrats on the baby MOGUL! It's rare we talk babies here and are not referring to the 8 cylinder two stroke diesel kind.

Congrats, indeed!

I assume she is sound-equipped?

14 hours ago, Broithe said:

Congrats, indeed!

I assume she is sound-equipped?

12 hours ago, DiveController said:

Probably with a chip off the old block😄

Of course, came factory fitted! She has given 082 working up hill with a trailing liner some competition already, that was a noisy couple of minutes!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rob said:

Yes John- from regularly stalking the IWT liner at North Wall for years, coupled with hours of watching videos of lrish container trains on-line going back a decade or so (l need to get out more), l too previously tried to piece together what available containers would suit a modern liner.

CAI / CRONOS / EVERGREEN / GENSTAR / HAPAG LLOYD / K LINE / MSC / MAERSK / OOCL / ONE OCEAN / CMA CGM/ HAMBURG SUD / KYK LOGISTICS / TIPHOOK.

Hope it helps.

Thanks Rob and Mogul. Really useful, and as I thought, best not to run more than one Evergreen box per train if trying to be prototypical.  Thanks to all.  John

Just so modelers of an earlier era don't feel like that have been left wanting for choice, here's another 'golden oldie' so to speak. There is a model but unfortunately it's HO by Walthers. Anyway, A12 heading cross border from BELFAST with an orange cement bubble and ......

IMG_2777

(c) John McKegney on Flickr

Manchester Liners switched to container traffic in the late 1960s but declined in the 70s due to competition from larger container companies and industrial disputes in the UK and was absorbed intimately into OOCL c. 1988 

Edited by DiveController
  • Informative 1

They are a smashing looking container. I looked into the history of the company previously in the hope they'd staggered into my mid 90's era but they were long gone by then. I might have guessed one or two would have appeared in a liner but that's quite a picture.

I wonder was the freight sent TIR from GB via Dublin port to Belfast or was it destined for the Republic.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 2:40 AM, Rob said:

Hope it helps.

Interesting list Rob. A container livery which I have now found has faded away to obscurity is GENSTAR, (often bauxite colour with white on blue vertical marking on the left end.   I have on of these, and can find no trace of it on UK or Irish network after 2014. Gone from being to commonest globally after Maersk to total extinction. As it was a long lived scheme, may be able to run it with my Bells.

• 9 months later...
34 minutes ago, murphaph said:

A nice way to add significant interest to the train. I've wondered what the scrap containers looked like before. I don't think I've ever seen a good clear picture of one.

Mountrath 21-04-2000 Down 1205 North Wall -Cork liner crossing up ety Cork -Platin Cement

21-04-2000 mountrath.jpg

Edited by flange lubricator
  • Like 5
  • WOW! 1

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

@Arran any chance of a 40' Seawheel like in the above pic? Definitely regulars on Irish rail back then.

Did scrap run in unit trains too or exclusively as "filler" in the liners?

I think Arran has said in the past that he didn’t manufacture the correct container for the Seawheel version. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Ah ok. Maybe he could consider doing the transfers. I wouldn't recognise the differences between containers to be honest so if I had the correct detailing the actual container ribbing etc would be irrelevant to me. I'd just buy one of his undecorated ones and finish it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1