Freight Containers (Irish) OO Gauge- 40ft or 20 ft

Rate this topic

Rob

The 1st photo is a great discovery the B+I liner possibly at East Wall yard (The Polling Fields) late 1960s with a reasonably clear view of those unusual open containers and  25436 series flat wagons in grey complete with load securing stanchions.

The B+I truck on the right appears to be carrying a similar open container which indicates that they were used for Cross-Channel rather than domestic freight traffic. 

The B+I Liners initially ran from East Wall yard to Cork Goods as a replacement for B+Is  Cork-South Wales cargo sailings before a siding connection was provided from the Alexandra Road Tramway into the B+I North Wall Terminal.

The silver container appears to be the CIE aluminium equivalent of the British Railways B container used until replaced by ISO containers in the early 1970s.

• Informative 1

Here is another interesting one if you notice the open top black container to the left of the picture with the CIE broken circles on it , I think these were used for carrying scrap metal to Cork for many years used to be a regular to see some of them on the midday liner , they would be easy enough to reproduce using a kit from C rail containers and remove the top.

CIE 19850708 222 Dublin North Wall Container Terminal

1 hour ago, flange lubricator said:

Here is a picture from a previous thread , with the same wagons which seem to be slightly oversized so are marshalled in between a 20' container .

b &i liner.jpg

There is an IRRS paper on the early stages of CIEs plans to modernise freight handling in one of the 1969 Journals. One of the plans was to design and build special containers or swap bodies for specific traffic flows including bagged-fertiliser and keg traffic that could not be accommodated within a standard ISO 20X8 container or half height. Other specials included an ISO hopper container for malt traffic, a hopper was selected as it was not feasible to discharge the container by tipping due to height restrictions in the customers premises.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swap_body

Slide No. 2514.jpg

Besides being wider and longer than a standard ISO container the open containers in the photos of the B+I Liner are particularly unusual in that the floor of the container is considerably higher than the floor of a standard ISO container.

The open swap-body appear to have been designed for a light but bulky packaged traffic to the UK mainland which would not fit in a standard ISO open container.

Its possible that the swap bodies on the train and B+I trailer are a hangover from the widespread use of" Lancashire Flats" by haulage and shipping companies for unit load traffic between Ireland and Great Britain during the 1960s before the widespread introduction of ISO containers and direct road transfer using ro-ro ferries using accompanied and un-accompanied trailers.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, DiveController said:

623804542_Inchicore2012267.thumb.jpg.6ed41bec7f9d62214a07a25eb9111e47.jpg

You can just make our 'ROAD RAIL MERCHANDISE SERVICES" in red on the oder part of the container and doors

The aluminium containers appear to have been used during the 60s for traffic to & from Donegal travelling under Customs Bond through Northern Ireland, both over the ex-GNR line to Strabane and via the ex-GNR Antrim Branch and NCC Main Line to Derry following the closure of the GNR Derry Road.

369 Strabane 97 with 104's tender 13Feb65 (Mike Shannon)  369 Derry, Foyle Rd 32 s225

The Aluminium and Guinness containers were transported on  20'-12T capacity-1'wb  flat wagons, the flats were fitted with end stanchions and re-classified as ballast wagons during the early 70s.

The Aluminium containers were longer than the then standard Irish 16'11" flat wagon and it was necessary to stagger the Guinness containers on the wagons when Belfast and Derry traffic was containerised by the GNR(B) in the late 1950s

scan0017.thumb.jpg.679d5a457ff60729918ba29e39e19524.jpg

Ex 25201 series flat re-classified as 24516 series ballast wagon, handbrake wheel broken off.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/16/2020 at 5:55 PM, Arran said:

HI All

Not Ireland but Middlesbrough "Not the posh part of England shire" 

Did the Bell bulks ever run in Ireland ?

Regards Arran 

IMG_4807.JPG

Is that picture recent Arran? 

Saw this picture of facebook the other day, 30ft Bell heading to the west of Ireland.. So there's is at least one around still in Bell Livery.. Fairly sure that I know who the operator is, next challenge is to get it onto the train, now THAT would be something! 

Bell 30ft.JPG

• Like 6

On 4/16/2020 at 5:55 PM, Arran said:

HI All

Not Ireland but Middlesbrough "Not the posh part of England shire" 

Did the Bell bulks ever run in Ireland ?

Regards Arran 

They occasionally made their way onto liner trains in Ireland, as witnessed in this Youtube video. Check out the start and around the 2 minute mark in the video.

As an aside, Bell had 20', 30', 40' and even 45' containers, aswell as tanktainers. Some of the 45' containers even had a pseudo Bell and Kerrygold livery on them. There was the normal Bell branding on the 20' and 40' containers, but there also existed Bell Bulk as in the attached video on the 30' containers and Bell Express branding on 45' containers.

Edited by iarnrod
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thinking ahead on my Larne Harbour Project, way ahead, as I have lots of projects I am currently working on (Track Layout weathering etc., Signal Cabin, Upper Quadrant Signals, Leslie's Brown Vans and recently I have bought the 70 Class etchs from Worsley Works, so lots to occupy me!), but I have been looking around for a good match for the Red Star Parcels Containers used between York Road and Larne Harbour. Can anyone suggest a good match for the container, that I can work with?

1838037826_RedStarParcelsContainer.thumb.jpg.878777a7d6ca703c75ea628f9e088764.jpg

• Like 1

This is one of the older container types with recesses for the forklift arms and lots of ribbing. Do you know the container length & height?

I presume you looked through https://www.c-rail-intermodal.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_28&product_id=219 site for something you might be able to respray (just a cursory search, not saying this is the best match)?

• 1 month later...