Freight Containers (Irish) OO Gauge- 40ft or 20 ft

Rate this topic

Rob

18 hours ago, murphaph said:

It's possible they need to heat up certain foodstuffs like treacle to get them to actually flow out I suppose.

Probably the same way they had to get bitumen out of  CIE tank wagons?

Wonder if anyone would be interested in doing some of this 10' Glucose tanktainers as a 4 pack maybe? Probably too niche? @Arran

Anyway, since we have the 40' B+I we should probably mention there was a 20' varian of that too (don't recall why this particular liner was ill fated though, maybe ran away in Cork yard?)

image0-6

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 3

On 2/10/2020 at 11:31 PM, Arran said:

HI Andrew

All =C=Rail= liver info is taken from pics where possible, these two match the models .

Welcome to the minefield.

Regards Arran

IMG_8066.JPG

3M2A8743.JPG

Hi Arran,

Criticism/nit picking is like water off a duck's back to you at this stage I'm sure!

I of course didn't consider the possibility that you had a different prototype to the tanks running on the rails over here!

Regards

Andrew

Would anyone have any close up photos of the open topped containers used on the Asahi coal trains?

Were they purpose built or just standard 20ft jobs with the roof cut off? Were they side door or end door, were the doors welded up and they were tipped to unload?

Sorry for so many questions at once but I've no doubt someone out there knows their history!

Many thanks  

Des

On 4/10/2020 at 3:37 PM, DiveController said:

Anyway, since we have the 40' B+I we should probably mention there was a 20' varian of that too (don't recall why this particular liner was ill fated though, maybe ran away in Cork yard?)

image0-6

Spot on!

A North Wall-Cork Liner ran away on the approaches to Cork was diverted into the goods yard, the 001 Class loco demolished the buffer stop and came to rest in an (empty) diesel storage tank.

Rumor had it that the train ran away because there was no effective brake on the train as a result of an improvised brake tail piece on the last wagon despite both the Guard and an Inspector travelling on the loco that night.

• Informative 2

21 hours ago, MD220 said:

Would anyone have any close up photos of the open topped containers used on the Asahi coal trains?

Were they purpose built or just standard 20ft jobs with the roof cut off? Were they side door or end door, were the doors welded up and they were tipped to unload?

Sorry for so many questions at once but I've no doubt someone out there knows their history!

Many thanks  

Des

At risk of sounding like i'm on commission, I would recommend looking at Jonathan Beaumont and Barry Carse' books for these.. Rails through the west has a good few pictures from Limerick to Ballina, and rails through North Kerry has some nice pictures of the wagons in Foynes..

I wont share the pics as they are not mine, but they look purpose built to me.. 

• Like 1

The only picture of coal wagons in Rails though North Kerry is on page 52 with a rake of 21/22 open topped 20ft coal wagon on the Foynes Ballina laden run on 22/3/1993. The photo on p68 of Rails through the West would probably offer more detail on this matter since you already have a copy. 

Edited by DiveController

10 hours ago, MOGUL said:

At risk of sounding like i'm on commission, I would recommend looking at Jonathan Beaumont and Barry Carse' books for these.. Rails through the west has a good few pictures from Limerick to Ballina, and Rails through North Kerry has some nice pictures of the wagons in Foynes..

I wont share the pics as they are not mine, but they look purpose built to me...

Mogul, should you wish to use pics from either of those books on here, and for the purposes of illustrating a point you're making like the above, you are very welcome indeed to do so. (I'm one of the two named on the cover!)

7 hours ago, MD220 said:

Thanks for the info Mogul. I have Rails through the West already, I must look out for North Kerry!

It's still in print but running low.

If you want a copy please PM me - I still have a few new ones. Alternately, contact the publisher direct - Colourpoint, Newtownards, Co. Down. Malcolm or Wesley Johnston are the people to speak to.

Ah I didn't realise that was you Jonathan! In fact the judicious use of book illustrations, assuming the copyright holder has given their consent) can help sell those books. 

Thanks to Mogul I ordered a copy of Rails through the West yesterday and very much look forward to thumbing through it!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Mogul, should you wish to use pics from either of those books on here, and for the purposes of illustrating a point you're making like the above, you are very welcome indeed to do so. (I'm one of the two named on the cover!)

It's still in print but running low.

If you want a copy please PM me - I still have a few new ones. Alternately, contact the publisher direct - Colourpoint, Newtownards, Co. Down. Malcolm or Wesley Johnston are the people to speak to.

Thanks Jonathan  I nabbed the last one on Amazon last night!

• Like 1

Where we were coming from - Barry Carse has been taking pictures of every aspect of Irish railways, almost entirely in colour, since 1964. I’ve know Barry for over forty years and we often talked about doing a joint book on one thing or another, over the years. His pics, my writings. In both books, the overwhelming majority of pics are his; only one or two of mine, but a few from Barry’s frequent travelling companions in the 1970s, Richard Wall and his brother David Carse.

Over the years, I’d go round to his house the odd evening and he’d get the slide projector out and run through a few boxes. Many (indeed, most) pics would be analysed for a million things.....

”What’s that wagon on the right?”

”I never knew a 101 went there - when did you take that? What was he doing there?”

”Look - that’s an old GNR van in the train.....long way from home!”

”See that second carriage? Must be one of the last in that livery - what date was it again?”

”Who’s that fella beside the signal cabin - what’s he doing?”

.........and so on.....

So “Rails Through The West” was born after the pair of us cycled the Achill branch......dunno if my back could cope with that now.

”North Kerry” followed.

Next? Well, should time permit........we MIGHT have a serious treat for rail freight fans of the 1970-90 period.....

• Like 8

18 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Where we were coming from - Barry Carse has been taking pictures of every aspect of Irish railways, almost entirely in colour, since 1964. I’ve know Barry for over forty years and we often talked about doing a joint book on one thing or another, over the years. His pics, my writings. In both books, the overwhelming majority of pics are his; only one or two of mine, but a few from Barry’s frequent travelling companions in the 1970s, Richard Wall and his brother David Carse.

Over the years, I’d go round to his house the odd evening and he’d get the slide projector out and run through a few boxes. Many (indeed, most) pics would be analysed for a million things.....

”What’s that wagon on the right?”

”I never knew a 101 went there - when did you take that? What was he doing there?”

”Look - that’s an old GNR van in the train.....long way from home!”

”See that second carriage? Must be one of the last in that livery - what date was it again?”

”Who’s that fella beside the signal cabin - what’s he doing?”

.........and so on.....

So “Rails Through The West” was born after the pair of us cycled the Achill branch......dunno if my back could cope with that now.

”North Kerry” followed.

Next? Well, should time permit........we MIGHT have a serious treat for rail freight fans of the 1970-90 period.....

Hope that serious treat materialises. The 1970's period is especially fascinating where old world H wagons, Palvans, Horse Boxes and Bulleid Opens slowly gave way to the new CIE built modern wagon fleet.

Freight was always the more interesting part of railway operations for me anyway, so you definitely have one book sold if it materialises. 

Edited by iarnrod
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

177556103_IQ26PortadownGoodsexDundalkUTA33.thumb.jpg.b6c2a3165bb0503b5c67ae244a344b1d.jpg

Apologies if this has cropped up before. Yet another CIE container! Photographed at Portadown (it's about 1% of the whole picture I scanned) on 14 July 1964 by Lance King (IRRS).

That's the Tardis.

The Dr. was driving the 15:10 Cullybackey - Wellington Bridge Bulk Turnip train that day.............

7 hours ago, iarnrod said:

The 1970's period is especially fascinating where old world H wagons, Palvans, Horse Boxes and Bulleid Opens slowly gave way to the new CIE built modern wagon fleet.

How about two horseboxes and a black'n'tan loco at Limerick Junction! Was perusing that pic the other day chez Carse........

9 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

That's the Tardis.

The Dr. was driving the 15:10 Cullybackey - Wellington Bridge Bulk Turnip train that day.............

How about two horseboxes and a black'n'tan loco at Limerick Junction! Was perusing that pic the other day chez Carse........

Sounds interesting. Have always loved seeing Barry's photos in the IRRS Journal over the years. They are also mostly produced in colour from around 2000 onwards, which is also great.

2 hours ago, iarnrod said:

Sounds interesting. Have always loved seeing Barry's photos in the IRRS Journal over the years. They are also mostly produced in colour from around 2000 onwards, which is also great.

Indeed - Barry is now on the Journal’s editorial committee.....

Join the IRRS, folks! Each journal has interesting photos and articles, as well as current news, not that there’s much of THAT compared with times past!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 22/12/2019 at 9:13 AM, DiveController said:

The 20ft B&I line containers from the 70s had very different styling & logo, not sure why they were alternated on the liner behind B131

post-263-0-70393500-1403968130.jpg

post-263-0-39919700-1403968142.jpg

Anyone seen the cover of IRRS journal October 2020 #203 with a liner train full of old B&I 20Ft containers and an article?

Edited by DiveController

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 months later...
41 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Are the pocket wagons retired?

I never see them on YouTube videos any more.

Currently stored in North wall (7) and Waterford (5) with some more wagons in long term storage in Limerick (12).

Some of the North wall and Waterford wagons may be restored to traffic in the near future.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ttc0169 said:

Currently stored in North wall (7) and Waterford (5) with some more wagons in long term storage in Limerick (12).

Some of the North wall and Waterford wagons may be restored to traffic in the near future.

Why are they out of service, and since when?

Are the 9'6" highcubes now going on the standard 47' flats, or by road?

Are all of the 42' flats retired or repurposed, or are any still on container trains?

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Why are they out of service, and since when?  - Not required at present

Are the 9'6" highcubes now going on the standard 47' flats, or by road?  On the 47' wagons

Are all of the 42' flats retired or repurposed, or are any still on container trains? -still part of the current bogie container wagon fleet

• Like 1