IRM Stocking Murphy Models 121 Locomotives!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

7 hours ago, Noel said:

Try CV29=63 (ie to toggle the first CV29 bit, direction

If your DCC system doesn't have a setup menu for a loco that automates setting the various binary bits in CV29, try setting it to 63 (ie turn the first bit on). Swapping between 62 and 63 should change the direction bit.

62 = 0111110 = Direction bit is off but the next 5 bits 1-5 are all ON (see translation below)

Bit 0 Direction of operation is reversed 
        Direction of operation is normal

Bit 1 ON [1] = 28 Speed Step Mode
Bit 2 ON [1] = Analog mode operation enabled
Bit 3 is  Railcom and is usually ignored by the DCC system firmware.
Bit 4 ON [1] = Alternate Speed Curve Active 
Bit 5 ON [1] = Use long loco address

If possible it's best to leave DC operation disabled if you plan to only run DCC.

• 5 weeks later...

60053521_ESULoksoundchips.jpg.09dae9ed7a650ee31364ce6d8c079283.jpg

Hi everyone,

The Murphy Models range of DCC and DCC sound chips are back in stock with IRM and ready for immediate dispatch!

The 645E sound chip is correct for 126, 127, 133 and 135 (in later years, not in grey as per the model, that should be 567), while the 567 chip covers the rest of the 121 range.

We got lots of emails asking to stock these again so we thought we better let you know! Order here https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/dcc-decoders

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2

Would 134 in RPSI retro grey livery not be 645 now and when it was IR/IE Livery? 567 when originally delivered in 1961 CIE grey, but the MM model is not the 1961 CIE version as it has the walk way rails due to RPSI restoration. The MM IR/IE Livery 134 with tippex would be 645 alright. 135 model as it is the 1961 variant would be 567 as Fran said when grey (ie and with no walkway rails).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Noel said:

Would 134 in RPSI retro grey livery not be 645 now and when it was IR/IE Livery? 567 when originally delivered in 1961 CIE grey, but the MM model is not the 1961 CIE version as it has the walk way rails due to RPSI restoration. The MM IR/IE Livery 134 with tippex would be 645 alright. 135 model as it is the 1961 variant would be 567 as Fran said when grey (ie and with no walkway rails).

No, both 124 & 134 retained the 567 engine until their withdrawal in 2008. The 121s & 141s which were fitted with EMD 645 engines were recovered from former C class locomotives withdrawn in the 1980s for several replaced some 567 engines for reasons such as major failures / rebuilds or re-powering for push/pull duties as was the case for a small handful of 121s. All of the GMs which retained the 567 engines got power-packs from 645s as time went on (cylinder liners, pistons, heads etc) due to parts commonality, but their engine speed remained the same and didn't change the sound of the 567s. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

If you put 645 power assemblys into an engine with 567 power assemblys then the engine will be a 645, so if all 121s eventully had 645’s fitted eventully then all the later livery 121’s should use the 645 decoders, and the early 121’s should have the 567’s

the numbers 567 and 645 are the cubic capacity of the cylinders, e.g 567 is 567 cubic inches in volume roughly 9.3 litre per cylinder

• Informative 1

ESU has some appropriate sound files for the larger EMD 567 engines with 645 power assemblies. It was a common upgrade it seems.

ESU says this combination resulted in a unique sound, neither 567 nor 645, but I'm guessing closer to a 567 as Vlak says.

Unfortunately so far they have no 8 cylinder files but maybe some day.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 11:30 AM, Warbonnet said:

60053521_ESULoksoundchips.jpg.09dae9ed7a650ee31364ce6d8c079283.jpg

Hi everyone,

The Murphy Models range of DCC and DCC sound chips are back in stock with IRM and ready for immediate dispatch!

The 645E sound chip is correct for 126, 127, 133 and 135 (in later years, not in grey as per the model, that should be 567), while the 567 chip covers the rest of the 121 range.

We got lots of emails asking to stock these again so we thought we better let you know! Order here https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/dcc-decoders

Cheers!

Fran

I assume you have sufficient stock of decoders to cover anyone who preordered them?

Just asking as I ordered 2 decoders when I ordered my 121s. Should I have received the decoders already?

Edited by irishthump

5 hours ago, ganderino said:

If you put 645 power assemblys into an engine with 567 power assemblys then the engine will be a 645, so if all 121s eventully had 645’s fitted eventully then all the later livery 121’s should use the 645 decoders, and the early 121’s should have the 567’s

the numbers 567 and 645 are the cubic capacity of the cylinders, e.g 567 is 567 cubic inches in volume roughly 9.3 litre per cylinder

The 645 power assemblies didn’t change the designation of the engines, they were simply designated (in Ireland for example) as ‘8-567CR’ 

8 = 8x cylinders

567 = Engine block production series

C = Type of Engine Block (the A & B versions had square inspection hatches while the C & D had circular inspection hatches, same as on the 645 & 710 engines)

R = Was the designation as they were re-powered with 645 power packs. 

While your correct regarding the cubic displacement of the cylinders increasing from 567 to 645 the increase in power was negligible as the original governor settings on the 567s remained as was (835rpm on max) as opposed to 900rpm on the 645s. 

As regards the sound decoders the sound for the 567 models is correct for the later versions which retained the 567 block as it has the lower idle / max power settings recorded, while the 645 has the higher idle / max power settings, hence the difference in sound. Of course you can put in whatever decoders of your choosing! 😉

Edit: Forgot to add the exhaust manifolds on EMD engines had a lot to do with the sound. The C class locomotives (while the same engine as the 181s) has a completely different sound due to having 2x rectangular exhaust ports (1x per manifold) while the 121/141/181s had 1x circular exhaust port for the 2x manifolds.

Edited by Vlak
  • Like 3
  • Informative 3

According to the 567 wiki the R means "rebalanced".

Quote:

EMD Pointers publication, October 17, 1956, "NEW MODEL 8-567CR ENGINE" "Due to expanding usage in a wide variety of applications, the 8 cylinder 567C engine is now being manufactured with certain design changes to provide a better total balance. This "rebalanced" engine has the model designation 8-567CR and supersedes the previous standard 8-567C in all applications. The major change is in firing order which requires a new design crankshaft #8235623 for the 8-567CR engine. This crankshaft has 2 relocated crankpin throws as well as larger counterweights."

Maybe it meant something else inside CIE though?

• Informative 1

I had heard numerous others refer to the R for re-powered (here at least) but yes you are indeed correct the engine balance was different, the 567 CR’s cylinder firing sequence was slightly different to the C alright (4x cylinders???) fired in different sequence from memory. 

• Like 1

Any updates on the current whereabouts of the IR ones from our man in the know, @WRENNEIRE? Still stuck with the Chinese elves or in the hands of the Irish elves yet? Judging by the backlog of freight in China and the container shortage, there are going to be a lot of disappointed kids this xmas and I'm not talking about us big kids! I'd recommend buying whatever your kids are getting now rather than later.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 4:21 PM, murphaph said:

According to the 567 wiki the R means "rebalanced".

Quote:

EMD Pointers publication, October 17, 1956, "NEW MODEL 8-567CR ENGINE" "Due to expanding usage in a wide variety of applications, the 8 cylinder 567C engine is now being manufactured with certain design changes to provide a better total balance. This "rebalanced" engine has the model designation 8-567CR and supersedes the previous standard 8-567C in all applications. The major change is in firing order which requires a new design crankshaft #8235623 for the 8-567CR engine. This crankshaft has 2 relocated crankpin throws as well as larger counterweights."

Maybe it meant something else inside CIE though?

I had read somewhere that the "R" stood for "reversed", that is the engine was designed to have a different direction of rotation to previous models.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Hi everyone,

We will be receiving our next batch of 121s tomorrow and dispatch will commence from Tuesday onwards.

Cheers!

Fran

Hi Fran,

I have different liveries in my orders (priorities as funds become available). Do you now have grey & yellow, BnT and Supertrain?

If so, at least one of my orders will be on its way

A number of members commented on speaker issues with the first batch of 121's.

Have the speakers been checked one by one for this batch, or is it still a possible issue?

I ask as postage from Ireland is currently taking around three weeks to get here, so if I have a problem, it's three weeks to receive the loco, a week to find time to test it, another week to find time to wrap it and post it, three more weeks back to Ireland, whatever time it takes there, plus three more weeks back here...

At least that, plus added Christmas delays!

Not intending to knock the 121's, not in the slightest, just thinking of what I'd like to avoid...

Three months additional wait for my 121's is too long!

20 hours ago, DiveController said:

Hi Fran,

I have different liveries in my orders (priorities as funds become available). Do you now have grey & yellow, BnT and Supertrain?

If so, at least one of my orders will be on its way

Hi Kevin,

We do not have Supertrain. This is part of the last batch to come in from Murphy Models.

Thanks,

Fran

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Spares have been ordered, and are in stock

Great - I'm missing one of the front window bars off my no 121.....only noticed it yesterday ....i suspect it happened during packing/unpacking......would that be available at some stage?