IRM Stocking Murphy Models 121 Locomotives!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

On 9/12/2020 at 11:08 AM, irishthump said:

Is it something to do with the model being in its “as delivered” condition? Perhaps they were fitted after arrival by Inchicore Works....

They didn't come with the lamps irons fitted as such, nor buffers hoses etc but there are some photos of the locos on trial runs that'll I'll try to dig out and I suspect they had lamp brackets and wouldn't be on the network without them as per the lighting rules of fitting lamps in the event that the train/lighting failed 4th January 1961

US diesels arrive, North Wall, Co. Dublin

Not the one I was looking for but you get the idea less than 2 months later, 24th Feb 1961

February 24, 1961

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 12:48 PM, Dead Kennedy said:

I've noticed MM B121 comes without lamp irons on either buffer beam. They were on the locomotives from the start. Is it just an oversight on the ( excellent) model?

20200117_213737.jpg

The detail pack has four really tiny lamp irons, but no locating hole or recess for them on the model that I can see.

There's a black cylinder like thing and two red coloured squares in the pack, but I don't have the foggiest where they are supposed to go. Also are the cables intended for later 121s?? 

On the plus side the oil lamps are a welcome addition. 

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DiveController said:

The colored squares are 'rear' (cab side) taillights for push-pull era

Ah that answers my question! Is there any pictures of a 121 with them on?

Stunning model that's just arrived and increases my thirst for the orange ones! Bravo Paddy what a model to go out on.

• Like 1

I added a photo above but the website is a bit quirky this morning (doesn't appear to save but if you press save again you end up with duplicates 5 minutes later @BosKonay). It's showing on my end now. It's also on page 2 or three of this thread already along with some other variations

We don't have models on this side of the big pond yet so could you provide a photo of the cylinder thingy? @minister_for_hardship

They may have the same bag of bits regardless of model/era so those lights may not be applicable to the grey & yellow for instance 

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, DiveController said:

I added a photo above but the website is a bit quirky this morning (doesn't appear to save but if you press save again you end up with duplicates 5 minutes later @BosKonay). It's showing on my end now. It's also on page 2 or three of this thread already along with some other variations

We don't have models on this side of the big pond yet so could you provide a photo of the cylinder thingy? @minister_for_hardship

Ah I see them now. Thanks that'll be handy for the PPs.

Looks like 'rear' square lamps, lamp irons, cylinder thingy (which someone else will need to comment upon, thanks for the photo), Newer lamps, older style gas lamps in black, skirts which will look nice at one end at least, prototypical couplings, I think, and various hoses on the top edge. So I'm no use to you on that cylindrical oil/water/lubricant thingy with the 'spout' 🙄 Plenty on here will know though

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

From a conversation some time back with PM, I seem to recall that the cylindrical thingy is a speedometer that fits to the rotational part of the axel on the left hand side of the loco, cab forward, you will need to prise out the cover off the axel . The speedo does not rotate , the bag of extras is a generic bag that will have some bits for the various models being issued, not all the bits will go on every loco

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

21 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

From a conversation some time back with PM, I seem to recall that the cylindrical thingy is a speedometer that fits to the rotational part of the axel on the left hand side of the loco, cab forward, you will need to prise out the cover off the axel . The speedo does not rotate , the bag of extras is a generic bag that will have some bits for the various models being issued, not all the bits will go on every loco

Yep it's clearly visible in this pic...

424134632_AthloneB1267Jun61img115.thumb.jpg.a9d7ea56f96210d5153b3ac0b36cf816.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DiveController said:

February 24, 1961

Recent discussions have focussed on what new (grey) 121s would have hauled.

Above, from loco working backwards:

- 4-wheeled luggage / guards “tin” van (silver)

- Park Royal (green)

- Four wooden bogies of at least two, possibly three types, all GSWR-origin, dating from 1902-15 builds (green)

- Park Royal (green)

- Another two wooden coaches, probably GSWR, inevitably green

- Tin van, probably a GSV (heating van). Could be green or silver.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, irishthump said:

Yep it's clearly visible in this pic...

424134632_AthloneB1267Jun61img115.thumb.jpg.a9d7ea56f96210d5153b3ac0b36cf816.jpg

Yep! Clear as mud (to me). Are we looking at the the things at the rear of each bogie, (fore and aft of the fuel tank), so there is one per bogie? Or is it the not so obvious thing lower down on the axle furthest from the photographer (just beneath/behind the cab steps)

• Like 1

I think its this bit here, it might not actually fit on the axle so you don't need to prise off the rotating bit. There would only be one per loco. Looking at later photos of IE IR liveried locos it may have been changed to a different design. I could be completely (and probably am) wrong about this

MGW Athlone B126 7Jun61 img115.jpg

a Limerick Jc 129 May2000 a725

EDITED As usual I found a better view when searching for something else. It does fit on the axle as can be seen on my shot of 129 in May 2000, the wire from the speedo goes in a different direction than on the 126 shot though.

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

I think its this bit here, it might not actually fit on the axle so you don't need to prise off the rotating bit. There would only be one per loco. Looking at later photos of IE IR liveried locos it may have been changed to a different design. I could be completely (and probably am) wrong about this

Yes that’s it. The design may well have changed over time.

Mine RPSI one Arrived today . Thanks Lads

Looks much better in the Flesh, In fact Superb but by god it is delicate, You can see the hours spent in getting the detailed nailed by Mr Murphy.  I still don't get the attraction of the Grey livery TBH buts that just me! 

I Did not run it yet as I need a Decoder  so probably will save running one till the IE version comes into the hand and a sound chip whacked into that. The Hand rails are certainly a bit bendy on my one and need to be straightened somehow and 2 supports detached in 2 min of light handling along with the Vacuum pipe which pinged off but was luckily found after a quick search. 

I am not a fan of the Packaging it comes in and I can see  some bits getting snapped off it you don't do it right in a lapse of concentration,  It looks Easy in the Video for Sure, The Front horns are a good candidate for the first bit to go so be warned. Just beware sticking it back in! (whoarrrrr Says Finbarr Saunders (Viz ref))

One more thing and not to do with Paddy but I am not overjoyed with the invoice being splashed on the box and the value for all to see, Packing list, fine like most shipping companies but where is the sense in this being on the outside of the box? If there an option not to have this in the inside or not on future shipments from IRM Towers?

Enjoy the 121s folks.

Cheers

George

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

25 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

One more thing and not to do with Paddy but I am not overjoyed with the invoice being splashed on the box and the value for all to see, Packing list, fine like most shipping companies but where is the sense in this being on the outside of the box? If there an option not to have this in the inside or not on future shipments from IRM Towers?

Slightly OT, sorry, but I actually need the value on the outside for things shipped all the way down here, as it serves as a customs declaration, so please don't stop doing it universally!

17 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

OK, the latter then, that's what I was thinking. It does show good attention to detail to have this with the model but can it/does it need to be actually fitted to the model?

It would have been useful to have a small blurb on the additional parts with the model (e.g. 4  air hose, 2x IR lamps 1987 -, 2x additional rear lamp 1980s Push pull units IR & IE liveries only etc, speedometer thingy non-working etc) 

7 hours ago, irishthump said:

Yes that’s it. The design may well have changed over time.

thanks for posting the pic 👍

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Slightly OT, sorry, but I actually need the value on the outside for things shipped all the way down here, as it serves as a customs declaration, so please don't stop doing it universally!

More and more carriers are needing it over certain values as a customs thing (also Brexit)

We're looking into the options...

I would really appreciate if it could be put in a plastic wallet rather than splashed across the box if that's possible. Even my DHL lad (only half jokingly) said it was an invitation to theft inside DHL!

I understand that Brexit is complicating matters however 😞

Back on topic....

I don't have any of these grey ones ordered. I never liked the livery on the prototype to be honest. But the pictures and video somehow look much better than I've seen this far.

It really whets the appetite for the IE/IR ones I have on pre-order. Roll on suitable mkIII push pull RTR stock from IRM 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

I would really appreciate if it could be put in a plastic wallet rather than splashed across the box if that's possible. Even my DHL lad (only half jokingly) said it was an invitation to theft inside DHL!

Yes, that's my concern too.  Unfortunately, informing everyone that there is a model railway collection at this address.  Could all of the information be captured in just a barcode?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BosKonay said:

It's a customs requirement. As I said, we're looking at options.

That's good news. 

I don't understand how is it current customs requirement when rails sent a box today with 2 x 121's to me with no value on the outside. My Radio control bits from Cornwall  last week Similar and over 150 notes. invoice inside the box. There is no customs requirements currently for UK - Ireland value on the boxes.  Mine came though RM and An Post and same mode for Rails and Model dockyard.

I understand for DJ that he needs it for where he is and it is handy for him and stuff maybe scanned optically for clearance. Hopefully this can change as I did have stuff left outside my door before for all to see.  Anyway we will wait and see.

I might be customs clearing my own stuff next year! Gonna be a pain in the hole. LOL!.

• Like 1

Mine arrived in the Badlands of Brum today and in box suitable for 6 with a single piece of paper wrapped around the black box inside. I did on seeing box wonder if it was a "lottery" win !!    

Posting box off for recycling and happy with contents in every way , agree with George re care in removing dense foam shell and handrails but looks good on test track. 

Robert     

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

That's good news. 

I don't understand how is it current customs requirement when rails sent a box today with 2 x 121's to me with no value on the outside. My Radio control bits from Cornwall  last week Similar and over 150 notes. invoice inside the box. There is no customs requirements currently for UK - Ireland value on the boxes.  Mine came though RM and An Post and same mode for Rails and Model dockyard.

I understand for DJ that he needs it for where he is and it is handy for him and stuff maybe scanned optically for clearance. Hopefully this can change as I did have stuff left outside my door before for all to see.  Anyway we will wait and see.

I might be customs clearing my own stuff next year! Gonna be a pain in the hole. LOL!.

Our facility is “Brexit prepared” while others may have not transitioned yet. Come January 1st get used to it being on boxes of everything you purchase from the UK. As Stephen said we’re actively looking at options, but right now there is nothing we can do about it. So, let’s move on and focus on the lovely 121s!

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Robert Shrives said:

Mine arrived in the Badlands of Brum today and in box suitable for 6 with a single piece of paper wrapped around the black box inside. I did on seeing box wonder if it was a "lottery" win !!    

Posting box off for recycling and happy with contents in every way , agree with George re care in removing dense foam shell and handrails but looks good on test track. 

Robert     

Ditto, my RPSI one. Took it out, looked disbelievingly at the incredible amount of detail, excellently executed. The colour looks much, much better in the flesh, than some of the photos I've seen.

Puzzled like others by the Bag 'o Bits - thanks for the explanations above, gents.

Back into the box. I've no intention of running it. When I get a suitable display case, I may put her on the wall!

The "Runner" - B121 - was ordered from Chris Dyer during a chance meeting on the Central Wales line last year. It will be put to work, never fear!

MY outer packaging will be recycled by being used to send one of my fine customers half a dozen kits!

Very, very well done Mr Murphy. Worth every minute of the wait.

• Like 3

Oh yummy, looking forward to giving B135 a run tomorrow when I get some time. Murphy Models seem to have excelled once again. Thank you, worth the wait. Now have to figure out how to get a driver inside without risking any damage to delicate precision parts. Ideal for hauling Leslie's PW CIE wagons and a mixed rake of green and B&T coach's with a grey tin van. Foaming at the mouth about the arrival of the Black'n'Tan livery version.

IMG_7744.thumb.jpg.cb78d39cc2dc2f0952aacf1263779de9.jpg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, connollystn said:

It's a brilliant model. Didn't think I'd bother with the grey version until I saw it in the flesh. I'm in awe of how great it looks, took my breath away. Hope it's detailed enough to keep the Irish railway modeller extremists happy. 

Agree. Yes it does look better in the flesh than from photos especially they grey colouring.

• Like 1

While I did not buy any Grey 121s(yet)A friend arrived at my house from north Wexford with 121 and a sound chip installed.So we wasted no time and Bog Road Level Crossing got its first 121 running.A very impressive  machine and the sound is superb.The layout is undergoing scenery  work at the moment.

Edited by enniscorthyman
No video
  • Like 7
  • WOW! 1