Decorated IRM A Classes Arrive!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Thanks for the update Fran. Good news all round me thinks, it'll be a nice little breather between the 121 and the A's.

And with the amendments carried out, it will no doubt be a top, top model when it finally arrives. More than happy to wait :)  

Edited by JasonB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great announcement with a great lot of explaining. it goes to show that making something is not just a simple send of a design and sign it off. It involves a lot of scrutiny before the final signing off. IRM has to be applauded for having all the different changes across 17 locos not a simple feet indeed and it will show next year when they arrive. Im lucky in that mine are all paid up so its one less stress for me and I dont mind the long wait as i know they will be worth it and will sell out quickly after release.looking forward to the C class announcement next

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Warbonnet I am grateful for the breather as I am trying to catch up with the 121's, I am sorry to hear of the issues with the A class locomotives, it is fantastic that issues are getting corrected at this stage. I have to ask, with the changes in taxes over there, if you get a pre-order now, while the tax is lower, can I correctly assume that since orders taken and paid for before the changes in tax in February (I think when it changes back), will the cost of the loco stay as is it now before they bump it back up?

On 29/9/2020 at 7:41 PM, mmie353 said:

@Warbonnet I am grateful for the breather as I am trying to catch up with the 121's, I am sorry to hear of the issues with the A class locomotives, it is fantastic that issues are getting corrected at this stage. I have to ask, with the changes in taxes over there, if you get a pre-order now, while the tax is lower, can I correctly assume that since orders taken and paid for before the changes in tax in February (I think when it changes back), will the cost of the loco stay as is it now before they bump it back up?

I believe the change in the tax rate was only 2% or something in which case 1 loco worth 200 would change by a maximum of 4 (this is just the simple math version)

I think the issues with the A classes demonstrate that all manufacturers even those focussed on quality detail have design and production problems. There have been some problems with modifying the bubbles to 21mm and axles on the 42 flats, none of which seem to have lead to any issues with sales. 

Failing to recognize, admit to, correct or repeating the problem issue is IMO what determines how the product is received and perceptions of the manufacturer formed.

Holding the product despite the delay is absolutely the way to go here. Outlining the issues that have occurred is laudable IMO. With out drawing comparisons, once the product is produced the is no going back and any deficiencies will be a lifelong criticism of an otherwise excellent product.

Producing a first loco cannot be a simple task particularly for a fledgling company (no offense intended) versus large manufacturers with scores of surveyors, designers, and established relationships with manufacturers, whose role is predominantly to make the product you specify and not necessarily guide you making you railway model business or products a success.

I'm confident these will be excellent locomotives and am happy to wait as I suspect are most or all. I was wondering how the Irish market would cope with a dozen 121s and even more A classes hitting the market at one time, so as Fran says it's not all bad.

On 29/9/2020 at 4:40 PM, mphoey said:

Great announcement with a great lot of explaining. IRM has to be applauded for having all the different changes across 17 locos not a simple feet indeed and it will show next year when they arrive. They will be worth it and will sell out quickly after release. Looking forward to the C class announcement next

I agree but I hope they will not sell out quickly after release tbh.

There's to be a C class announcement? 

I don't want to rain on the parade but I hope not (yet). Personally I think these are too similar to the A class and I'd prefer to see a railcar, steam loco, coaching stock etc first    

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 3

Good to read, dealing with the Chinese is the distance involved not only in miles but getting a good relationship and it does read that you have done that. It is amazing that despite care and more care that details slip through so having more eyes on projects does help and hopefully your recent team gathering will help.  

Often the elusive detail picture and information come to light after production started and too late to incorporate, thus the comments post production on slip ups hurt more. Hopefully the pause and reflection period that COV 19 has caused will be of benefit in the end. 

Certainly looking forward to the final product and a big thanks for taking the plunge and keeping to the difficult road. Saintly status awaits !

Robert      

• Thanks 1

I agree with all of the comments to date and the model will be worth while waiting for it. However I and a friend of mine have quite a bit of cash purchasing items from the boys which are not yet delivered. This has tied up purchasing other products from them as being exposed financially to one company has risks attached to it. Having to pay in full for items before they are manufactured (while I understand why) is not good business practice. Not for the customer. 

18 minutes ago, Thomas said:

I agree with all of the comments to date and the model will be worth while waiting for it. However I and a friend of mine have quite a bit of cash purchasing items from the boys which are not yet delivered. This has tied up purchasing other products from them as being exposed financially to one company has risks attached to it. Having to pay in full for items before they are manufactured (while I understand why) is not good business practice. Not for the customer. 

Hi Brendan,

The only product outstanding is the A Class. Can you have your friend email us and we can sort him out?

Thanks,

Fran

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Plus the Guinness Keg liners. You are missing the point We have no issue with waiting for the products but having monies tied up until they arrive prevents us from purchasing more items.   

Hi Brendan,

The keg liners have long been dispatched, so your friend really needs to contact us. Anyone can cancel and order and get a full refund at any time by emailing us with their order number, and we do make stock to have in hand when a model lands. It's up to you to run the risk of missing out on it or not, you can even email us and ask to hold off on payment and reserve in special circumstances, so we are quite flexible. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Thomas said:

That is great to hear we will be in contact. Re the Keg Liners, so you are not producing a second run? as was stated to him.

I am sure we will in time Brendan, but we have not announced any yet and certainly not taking money up front for a second run of them, so I'm quite confused to be honest. Best to let him know and have him contact us direct to clear it all up instead of second hand information. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2