The Ramble Inn, Halfway, Cork

Rate this topic

fishplate7

I passed by the Ramble Inn at Halfway on the N71 in Cork this afternoon.

I noticed that the various bits of railway stock (the brake van, bulleid wagon, etc.), which were visible from the roadside, have all disappeared from view. The site looks like it's being cleared out!

See some of my photos below from some years back.

Does anyone know what has happened to them?

Thanks

P1100666.JPG

P1100677.JPG

P1100679.JPG

P1100680.JPG

Edited by fishplate7
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

Update straight from the source 

for those wondering the CIE green bus that was once located here has now been permanently moved. I don’t know Where but hopefully a good home. The Ruston was moved along with the bulleid beet wagon to rathpeacon, and then onto where it is today. the 6 wheel coach has been moved to a secret location within cork, I understand it’s in quite good shape with a very good owner. (And as a coach that worked in West Cork, I’d love to see it again). the brakevan had moved to a location halfway up the country. While I can’t disclose anything 

I took this photo out the top window of the bus as a child, I never thaught the bus was going anywhere!

F0B9962A-255E-4B01-AC86-70F22FB30175.thumb.jpeg.e78b0ae2aaea6c3d508f5a48a72d7850.jpeg

it even had my favourite livery. The last time I saw it there was earlier this year…

936E7FD1-16E6-4185-A6BC-D397CB3D7041.jpeg.639a7ae4c6987b4cfff8dd55e46cae20.jpeg

the track started just in front of this Ruston. I’m told it was mechanically very good. cosmetically not so good. 

95E3FF14-7148-4839-AB39-1539351BCF44.jpeg.3aa1dbdda2fe7ba6a6a745d5a9047a64.jpeg

The end of the track, what was only supposed to be a temporary set up anyway….to think there was a heritage railway at my doorstep. And I was just a few years too late to take advantage of it 

8D4B88C1-AF69-46F3-A005-994E1CE7A0A8.jpeg.0f0c01e00905af1c34db304d1ad5671d.jpeg

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I think the loco is the one which went to Maam Cross; I could be wrong, but if so, it’s about as MGWR as the starship “enterprise’ 😂😂

It went from halfway-Rathpeacon-Inchicore works and some day to Maam cross when it’s been fixed! 

I was also inticed to learn of get another failed West Cork railway heritage project. Which this stock would have been involved in had it gone ahead (considering there is a good chance all that rolling stock ran on the Ex-CBSC, and the Ruston dealt  with west cork wagons almost everyday in mallow, makes sense) unfortunately it never did….I may go into further detail on s desperate thread 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 29/10/2022 at 12:41 AM, jhb171achill said:

I think the loco is the one which went to Maam Cross; I could be wrong, but if so, it’s about as MGWR as the starship “enterprise’ 😂😂

I don't think the intention was ever a faithful recreation of a pre-War Maam X, just as Downpatrick is not a BCDR only reserve. We should be thankful SOMETHING positive is happening there, given the 'problematic' history of preservation here.

• Like 4

The Ramble inn never owned any of that stuff, just holding onto it. And the insurance cost was not worth keeping it on its present site.

As for the 6 wheeler, I happen to have gotten one of the only photos of it being moved from halfway to its present site, including one of it passing my house which is deffinetly a wierd one for me living out the middle of nowhere! He wants to keep it private as I hear there has possibly been some looting going on…very much fair enough 

the brakevan….well at least I think this is the same brakevan has been moved to different location, currently attached to a cement bubble…. But in all honestly I cannot verify is this is the same brakevan 

FBABF19A-CB70-4D57-9957-809BAA3E7C47.jpeg.0d04ff44d974138d2358936b8f38a48c.jpeg

no idea where the bus went, something I could ask Alan barry next time I’m out there. 

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

I don't think the intention was ever a faithful recreation of a pre-War Maam X, just as Downpatrick is not a BCDR only reserve. We should be thankful SOMETHING positive is happening there, given the 'problematic' history of preservation here.

If it were to try to be MGWR, they’d have to build a whole new steam locomotive, or try to disguise either 184 or 186 as a J18; although, the thought of a J26 replica is sounding better by the second…

Just now, Branchline121 said:

If it were to try to be MGWR, they’d have to build a whole new steam locomotive, or try to disguise either 184 or 186 as a J18; although, the thought of a J26 replica is sounding better by the second…

Indeed; the “accuracy” ship has LONG sailed for Irish preservation. There just isn’t the stuff left, and there’s no way the RPSI would send any steam locomotives to such a remote location, I would think. And there’s no Barry scrapyard here; THAT ship sailed too, over sixty years ago!

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Indeed; the “accuracy” ship has LONG sailed for Irish preservation. There just isn’t the stuff left, and there’s no way the RPSI would send any steam locomotives to such a remote location, I would think. And there’s no Barry scrapyard here; THAT ship sailed too, over sixty years ago!

Well, the RPSI has no obvious plans for running 184 / 186 again so why not a loan, given suitable assurances as to the loco's well-being?

8 hours ago, Branchline121 said:

There simply isn't the same level of interest here vs the uk to even consider a new build just to run up and down a few miles of line.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Garfield said:

The running costs for a J15 would likely be prohibitive for a preserved line, too.

We had a good discussion about this on one of the zooms hosted by @Niles. Possibly once was going to become a short term fix…..

I for one hope 186 is put on the mainline again

Back on topic, some 6 year old photos of the halfway lot. I think the loco was repainted before it was moved 

Half Way collection

• Like 1

6 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

There simply isn't the same level of interest here vs the uk to even consider a new build just to run up and down a few miles of line.

Correct 

2 hours ago, Garfield said:

The running costs for a J15 would likely be prohibitive for a preserved line, too.

Correct. 

In all reality, and for a number of reasons, for 5’3” in Ireland as a steam operation, Downpatrick and the RPSI are likely to remain the only shows in town. 

On 5/1/2023 at 2:27 PM, jhb171achill said:

Correct 

Correct. 

In all reality, and for a number of reasons, for 5’3” in Ireland as a steam operation, Downpatrick and the RPSI are likely to remain the only shows in town. 

You're discounting the Jim Deegan factor. 😀

• Agree 1