Connemara Railway project.

Rate this topic

15 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

The right job would be C202/227 but it would require a bit of cash and hard work which im not sure would be worth in in the eyes of the model village…both those Park Royal’s have since been cosmetically overhauled.

I do agree with you, I'd love to see C227 cosmetically done up. To those who are wondering where she is... Well-https://www.google.ie/maps/place/52°18'52.8"N+7°08'54.1"W/@52.3146815,-7.1485529,342m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x0:0x87ca7776c120fbe0!2zNTLCsDE4JzUyLjgiTiA3wrAwOCc1NC4xIlc!3b1!8m2!3d52.3146667!4d-7.1483611!3m4!1s0x0:0x87ca7776c120fbe0!8m2!3d52.3146667!4d-7.1483611

It's sad to see how badly she's rotted since 2001... Poor thing...

2001.jpg

2011.jpg

2014.jpg

• Funny 1

11 minutes ago, 228RiverOwenboy said:

I do agree with you, I'd love to see C227 cosmetically done up. To those who are wondering where she is... Well-https://www.google.ie/maps/place/52°18'52.8"N+7°08'54.1"W/@52.3146815,-7.1485529,342m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x0:0x87ca7776c120fbe0!2zNTLCsDE4JzUyLjgiTiA3wrAwOCc1NC4xIlc!3b1!8m2!3d52.3146667!4d-7.1483611!3m4!1s0x0:0x87ca7776c120fbe0!8m2!3d52.3146667!4d-7.1483611

It's sad to see how badly she's rotted since 2001... Poor thing...

2001.jpg

2011.jpg

2014.jpg

It’s not there anymore!!!!!

its in a super secret location where no one will ever find it….

(I’m actually suprised no one has “found it” since)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 228RiverOwenboy said:

Oh? I wasn't aware of that! I really hope it isn't gone... That'd be another C' lost to the scrap heap!

It’s not scrapped or going to be scrapped. although some people on here may consider it’s current location “worse then scrapping”! Which is ridiculous….but it’s relatively safe and sound  

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Just make sure to ask permission, I’m pretty sure there has been some big security measures employed since the above photos were taken 

it's for the best, it hurts to look at what the locomotives turn into on west clare, there is still no security where these locomotives are?

1 hour ago, 228RiverOwenboy said:

My apologies, sir.

I actually did have a question in mind about said project... Is it going to be a mix of narrow and broad gauge? Or is the narrow gauge just temporary and will be laid over with 5'3 track?

Narrow gauge is "temporary" (operating cert covers the running of it for 5 years).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 228RiverOwenboy said:

My apologies, sir.

I actually did have a question in mind about said project... Is it going to be a mix of narrow and broad gauge? Or is the narrow gauge just temporary and will be laid over with 5'3 track?

Irish railway models have actually helped transport much of the 5’3 track panels to maam cross if I remember correctly 

• Like 1

I can't help but think it might be a good long term bet to think about building a brand new steam loco, but which one would have the most appeal?

You don't want one that will become to small and you don't one which is too big either any suggest guys?

Edited by Colin R

I have dipped in and out of this thread on numerous occasions, but have just spent a very enjoyable hour reading through from start to finish. This project is absolutely amazing and as has been said by many others throughout the thread enormous credit is due to all involved. The dedication and resolve is amazing and all the hard work is now bearing fruit. My particular interest is signalling and signal boxes and I found the posts on the MGWR Cabin particularly interesting and look forward to future posts on signalling. Good health and good luck to all concerned in this brilliant project.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Only really smart choice for mainline work is another WT. For a preserved line, an MGWR J 26 or Glover tank. 

Yes I wasn't sure what to suggest I am thinking more in line of what would be more useful for the Connemara project in the long term looking in the great book it has either a 4-4-0 or an 0-6-0 tender locos.

If however you think that it should be build to run on the main line then something a bit different is required such as an updated version of 850 2-6-2T. But if you want character they why not go for a GSWR class 47 0-4-4T 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Colin R said:

Yes I wasn't sure what to suggest I am thinking more in line of what would be more useful for the Connemara project in the long term looking in the great book it has either a 4-4-0 or an 0-6-0 tender locos.

If however you think that it should be build to run on the main line then something a bit different is required such as an updated version of 850 2-6-2T. But if you want character they why not go for a GSWR class 47 0-4-4T 

The thing about an operation like this is its potential market - or lack thereof. Like Finntown, it is a very far way away from any population centre of any size. Finntown operates with small diesel mechanisms.

The only operational standard gauge line in the country is at Downpatrick, where very small steam locos are used. As a former treasurer of both that operation and the RPSI, I can assure all that the cost of operating a "full-size" steam locomotive on ANY type of line anywhere in Ireland - be it new-build, old-build, or whether one like it ever ran on the line or not - is utterly unrealistic, unless the operator is prepared top personally subsidise train services there. Even with volunteer labour, such an operation will never come close to covering costs with steam. While the idea of a MGWR 2.4.0 exercising its legs along a 5ft 3 line in the west is a fantastic vision, one might as well wish for 800 to return to regular service on the Cork Main Line, with wooden-framed passenger stock behind it. And bear in mind that the DCDR struggled with financial paucity for a long time, and for an even longer time received a local authority annual subsidy.

Much in preservation involves a conflict between the emotion and imagination of the enthusiast - and cold, hard, practical reality. All too often, that does not make for good listening at AGMs, nor does it make easy reading; but it's reality.

Dromod successfully operates steam by using its own wood-firing and because it's just a short distance. If it was coal fired and went to Mohill, the costs would spiral colossally and even a quite busy operating day would probably COST money. Finntown operates a railcar; it it was a Donegal 2.6.4T being steamed, someone would have to piuck up a big bill for each open day. And so on, and so on.

I do know that there was at least some discussion amongst some Connemara volunteers as to opinions on 5ft 3 versus narrow gauge; it is no accident that all railway heritage operations in this country (bar the DCDR) are narrow-gauge. Sooner or later, the issue of sustainability for this project must be faced head-on. A permanently (financially) unsustainable 5ft 3 operation, with a several-million-euro "new build" steam engine - or - a "scaled-down" version of the same with maybe a Sugar Company or "G" class diesel and a carriage in operation on open days, or something narrow gauge. In that descending order, descending cost to operate.

Another matter; the DCDR has three steam engines (2 x ex-CSET and GSWR 90). It TAKES three steam locos to as good as guarantee steam all the time. In the DCDR's earlier days, with just one steam loco (borrowed from the RPSI), if it was out of action, diesels had to be used. An operational steam loco has three phasess of life within a ten-year cycle. (1) Newly restored, up'n'running and rarin' to go. (2) Mid life. A few tweaks here and there. (3) Withdrawal for mandatory boiler lift, inspection and almost certain attention to something above rail level. Therefore, when one loco is out of use, you need another. If at any point in time, one is undergoing major refurb, that means you need two others. Right now, for example, at Downpatrick, you've No. 1 nearing the end of its operational cycle, No. 3 in mid life and No. 90 out of traffic. The next stage will be 90 refurbed, 1 out of work for refurb (and museum display, no doubt) and 3 as the spare. That's the way it goes - same in the RPSI, which in all reality struggles to make some MAIN LINE trips pay.

And the RPSI struggles to provide steam cover for all potential services it it doesn't have three operational main line locos, though, to be fair, it is faced with TWO operations, 150km apart.

It is unrealistic in the extreme to compare what goes on at Bridgnorth, Pickering or Porthmadog with what happens here. We have one tenth the market that britain has, and a good third of the island's population lives in or around Dublin and Belfast. Add to that the fact that (present company excluded!) the general public on this island, of all backgrounds, haven't a fraction of the interest in industrial heritage as thge good folks of Brexitstan have.

Stradbally pioneered operational railway preservation here almost sixty years ago. They have survived and thrived - because they have exactly the right model - for THIS island. Which reminds me - it's just over fifty years since I last travelled on it. It is HIGH time I returned. I have simply no excuse not to, nowadays!

As an aside, with the unfortunate decline of the BnM narrow-gauge now, if anyone, anywhere, wants to establish a new heritage railway - or even a private one! - there are probably going to be a good many Wagonmasters on sale in the next few years - when they're gone, the3y're gone, as the supermarket ads say.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Colin R said:

I can't help but think it might be a good long term bet to think about building a brand new steam loco, but which one would have the most appeal?

You don't want one that will become to small and you don't one which is too big either any suggest guys?

In all reality, for a location like that, and given the numbers and nature of the public throughout this island, the only thing suitable is something very small. If steam, you're looking at borrowing the Guinness engine. Maybe Derry docks No. 1 in Cultra?

2 minutes ago, Mike Beckett said:

That scrappy C (‘202’) is not at Moyasta Junction. It’s also, literally, hollow, with nothing inside it other than graffiti, drinks cans and rubber johnnies. I wouldn’t get too excited about it…

And it's not even No. C202!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

In all reality, for a location like that, and given the numbers and nature of the public throughout this island, the only thing suitable is something very small. If steam, you're looking at borrowing the Guinness engine. Maybe Derry docks No. 1 in Cultra?

And it's not even No. C202!

Hence the quotes!

M’learned friend, Lord Beaumont of The University of Railway Life, is of course right as usual (most of the time).

Speaking for DCDR and ITG, we won’t be offloading any locos any time soon. RB3 is another matter, anyone want it? Even for a greenhouse in the back garden…?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Beckett said:

Hence the quotes!

M’learned friend, Lord Beaumont of The University of Railway Life, is of course right as usual (most of the time).

Speaking for DCDR and ITG, we won’t be offloading any locos any time soon. RB3 is another matter, anyone want it? Even for a greenhouse in the back garden…?

Is there enough damp in it yet to keep my goldfish in?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

In an ideal world I’d love to see Maam Cross get one of the ex-NIR DH locos from Holcim in Puttalam, Sri Lanka. I think DH2 (now named Shakthi) was operational as of a few years ago. Irish loco with an interesting history, (used to have) vacuum brakes, sturdy enough to easily haul a few carriages, not too heavy, good visibility in both directions. Also DH1 is in Merthyr Tydfil in Wales but is just an empty shell like C227.

Edited by B141

5 minutes ago, B141 said:

In an ideal world I’d love to see Maam Cross get one of the ex-NIR DH locos from Holcim in Puttalam, Sri Lanka. I think DH2 (now named Shakthi) was operational as of a few years ago. Irish loco with an interesting history, (used to have) vacuum brakes, sturdy enough to easily haul a few carriages, not too heavy, good visibility in both directions. Also DH3 is in Merthyr Tydfil in Wales but is just an empty shell like C227.

Something else to keep goldfish in!!   🙂

6 minutes ago, 228RiverOwenboy said:

5a18649f32d6b_D126620395420English20Electric20Vulcan200-6-0DH20-20Beavor20Power20Merthyr20Tydfil2018_05.png

Also, weren't these things prone to overheating constantly?

I'm not sure what went wrong with them, but my recollections of them were that at any one time you'd be lucky to see one in use! Once NIR got 111 & 112 (113 came later), and there were spare 101s (themselves not the most reliable, especially 103), the "DH" class shunters saw little use and were gradually set aside.

47 minutes ago, 228RiverOwenboy said:

You'd be right in saying that...

5a18649f32d6b_D126620395420English20Electric20Vulcan200-6-0DH20-20Beavor20Power20Merthyr20Tydfil2018_05.png

Also, weren't these things prone to overheating constantly?

I am pretty sure 2 and 3 were re-engined when they went to Merthyr Tydfil so hopefully overheating isn’t a problem any more. Not a problem for 1 as there’s no longer any engine to overheat in the first place.

Edited by B141
  • Like 2