“Locomotives of the GSWR” by McMahon, Clements & O’Rourke

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

11 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

The Ikea flatpack dining table  is very heavy, the great joy was you can only click and collect, a quick and painless process . You could buy food but not use the toilets!!   How does that work?

I'd be terrified to go into their toilets in case I couldn't ever find my way out again!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Well my book turned up to day (I had to go and get it from the drop off point), so I have two issues with it, one it is blood good for information about just about every GSWR locomotive, the second is I was dissapointed that end on views where not included for both loco and tender drawings.

One issue for anyone thinking about putting works drawings in books like this is please make sure you add the scale somewere to it, as a modellers book I will sit on the side of this one, I am however glad that it gives a lot of information about where they picked up the details of these drawings about these locos as this will make finding the information that much easier for everyone who will follow.

Am I dissapointed with it? No not really it is a lauching pad for further reserch, books on Irish railways are at best as rare as hens teeth over here.

One good thing is that any updates or more information will I am sure be published in New Irish Lines Magazine. 

• Like 3

While I am sitting here waiting for my results from the lastest Covid test, I was wondering how everyone is getting on with their books, the more I look into it the more I like it.

To be on th safe side, I have a bit of clear plastic between me and the book in case I sneeze or cough.

I have also now sorted out all my Ninelines Donegal Kits and in total I have about 40 kits to build, the plan is to just build the bodies for now untill I can get hold of some 10.5mm 8 spoke size wheel sets.

Following on from this I will then think about doing some of the carriages I have in stock.

I also need to build at least one steam loco to run on the new layout so that has to be fitted in as well, I do have a number of non Donegal steam locos in the works which include both Cavan 4-4-0T and Isle of Man 2-4-0T, but it all takes time and nothing is getting done while I sit donw and drink my lemsip and read the book.

Colin

Have worked my way through to the tank engines section and the intriguing notes about 0-4-2T Sprite and its Pay Carriage.

It appears that for pretty much any layout depicting the period 1873 to 1927 (ok, probably not many!), a model is essential. The combo ran 1.2 million miles on a two week circuit of the whole GSWR system. It was on the road six days a week from 7am to 4.30pm. Remarkable for an engine weighing only 21 tons and with a tractive effort of just over 2000lb.

The fact that it appeared in Sligo every other Thursday has inevitably got me thinking about building a model for Belmullet, although not until the mail train project is completed of course!

Then there is Pat, the 0-2-2 tractor built for the overhead gantry in Cork. Tractive effort is stated as 495lbs. One wonders how it managed to pull itself along, nevermind the 120 tons of coal that was it's day job.

• Like 2

Two weeks after ordering mine hasn’t appeared yet. Covexit no doubt. Sounds great though!

Fascinating re the pay carriage. Roger did a model of that little Sprite I think. One of my favourites of that genre of loco was Drummond’s Bug which achieved remarkable feats on the LSWR and could convey the wrathful CME to wayward sheds at considerable speed !http://svsfilm.com/nineelms/bug.htm

8C92D883-18DA-401E-8996-4212B42EAD6A.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore

Same here but it's three weeks for me.

I ordered via Book Depository as they offered a 10% discount but have email a few times to say they are struggling to get stock.

I guess that's the disadvantage of Scottish and Yorkshire genetics.........

Still, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

14 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Two weeks after ordering mine hasn’t appeared yet. Covexit no doubt. Sounds great though!

Fascinating re the pay carriage. Roger did a model of that little Sprite I think. One of my favourites of that genre of loco was Drummond’s Bug which achieved remarkable feats on the LSWR and could convey the wrathful CME to wayward sheds at considerable speed !http://svsfilm.com/nineelms/bug.htm

8C92D883-18DA-401E-8996-4212B42EAD6A.jpeg

Thought he did. Wonder if it is still available? Suspect the main problem will be working out how to fit a mechanism - although at least the sidetanks will help.

1 hour ago, Angus said:

Same here but it's three weeks for me.

I ordered via Book Depository as they offered a 10% discount but have email a few times to say they are struggling to get stock.

I guess that's the disadvantage of Scottish and Yorkshire genetics.........

Still, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Book Depository will not be stocking it, it is only available direct from the publisher

GS&WR advert.jpeg

Mine has just arrived. First impressions are excellent. I had heard some comments about the flat rather than gloss paper, but paper type (excellent quality ) is appropriate for what is essentially an academic treatise rather than a glossy pictorial. Loads of detail and data which is what we need....wonderful stuff and well worth a purchase. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

It's a great book and gives this important subject the academic seriousness it deserves. I am only part the way through properly reading it after the obligatory browse and all my positive first impressions are borne out by more detailed reading. It is a comprehensive and weighty tome. On balance I am glad they have avoided gloss paper and gone for quality matt - not only are my limbs and bookshelf grateful, but also for the reasons set out by Galteemore above. I have just finished reading the history of the 0-4-4 back tanks, one of my favourite engines, and their derivation from very successful single Fairlies. And within this tale the avarice of Fairlie himself for swingeing patent charges that reminds me of the current greed of various already wealthy American retailers! I'm enjoying the read and heartily recommend this book. 

• Like 4

On 26/1/2021 at 12:36 PM, Broadstone said:

It's a great book and gives this important subject the academic seriousness it deserves. I am only part the way through properly reading it after the obligatory browse and all my positive first impressions are borne out by more detailed reading. It is a comprehensive and weighty tome. On balance I am glad they have avoided gloss paper and gone for quality matt - not only are my limbs and bookshelf grateful, but also for the reasons set out by Galteemore above. I have just finished reading the history of the 0-4-4 back tanks, one of my favourite engines, and their derivation from very successful single Fairlies. And within this tale the avarice of Fairlie himself for swingeing patent charges that reminds me of the current greed of various already wealthy American retailers! I'm enjoying the read and heartily recommend this book. 

Couldn’t agree more on ALL your points.

Big shout out to Collon Press. My volume had actually arrived in poor nick having been hammered around by couriers unknown in its lengthy journey (no fault of the publisher). A chance comment to Collon immediately resulted in a replacement book winging its way to me, signed by two of the authors. Top service, top book -if you haven’t got one, get it now. In my day job, I’m exposed to a great deal of quality scholarship and this is right up there. These will be much sought after in years to come.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

My New Irish Lines has just come through the letterbox and skimming through it found a lengthy and none too complimentary review of this book. No idea who GMB is, though could be the editor Gerald Beesley, who picks holes in it throughout. 

Personally, I've really enjoyed it and am always grateful for anything new about the Irish scene.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, David Holman said:

My New Irish Lines has just come through the letterbox and skimming through it found a lengthy and none too complimentary review of this book. No idea who GMB is, though could be the editor Gerald Beesley, who picks holes in it throughout. 

Personally, I've really enjoyed it and am always grateful for anything new about the Irish scene.

Yes, I thought that was exceptionally harsh - the same review is in the IRRS Journal, which hit my letterbox yesterday. 

The amount of technical detail and invaluable historical material in this book cannot be understated, and it is all the more to the credit of the authors that they spent years trawling through much obscure material to get to the bottom of it. I reviewed it - here, plus several other places, and I was very happy to do so a great deal more positively. 

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 3

My copy has finally arrived in the UK; it was posted on the 4th Feb and has just appeared on the Parcelforce tracking as awaiting customs clearance! I purchased 4 packs of Gypsum wagons on the 10th on the IRM UK site and Parcelforce have not yet confirmed that they are in the UK (I presume the stock is actually held in Dublin) or can give any info on the tracking!

Ah Well at least I can continue scanning and cleaning 60 Irish slides from 1978 -  er that's when they were took not when they were posted!😟

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Drawings for "Locomotives of the Great Southern & Western Railway"....

This statement is to clear up misunderstandings that have arisen about drawings published in the book "Locomotives of the GS&WR"  by Clements, McMahon & O'Rourke.

Research for the "Locomotives of the GSR" by Clements & McMahon (Colourpoint Books 2008) uncovered locomotive and tender drawings for almost all the 5'3" gauge types operated by the Great Southern Railways, a number of which had not been previously published. Size limitations prevented their inclusion in that work but a separate volume was planned to include all those drawings. Work on that project was abandoned following failure to elect publisher support.

The main intention behind the recent and the 2008 publication had been to place historic information in the public domain and it was frustrating that many informative drawings seemed destined to remain hidden. Then the up-graded twice-yearly periodical New Irish Lines offered an ideal means of distribution. Data sheets for every locomotive type had already been prepared and Alan O'Rourke as Editor readily agreed to their circulation free of charge with issues of NIL. The main constraint was weight related mailing costs which meant release of the drawings in stages.

The collection covers the following railways: GS&WR, MGWR, CB&SCR, WL&WR, GSR (i.e. 1924-1944), CIE. There are also some narrow gauge locomotives but for copyright reasons, a separate data sheet records those publications in which appropriate line drawings may be found.

All drawings are from secondary sources. They provide varying levels of detail and the accuracy of some should be treated with caution - particularly GSR diagrams. Nevertheless, those that are little more than outline sketches at least provide a general indication of proportions.

Locomotives of the GS&WR   has been criticised for the absence of end drawings and plans. Readers are assured that if information had been found during the preceding 16 years of research, it would have certainly been included. Some general arrangement drawings were found but size, age and condition made them unsuitable.

One exception was a full set of plans for the GS&WR type A tender but requests of the drawings custodians for permission to reproduce went unanswered.

Signed by the authors, Jeremy Clements, Michael McMahon & Alan O'Rourke.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative 4