Stored Oil Tank wagons

Rate this topic

The 4 oil wagons stored at the former Heuston good yard were moved to Inchicore yesterday. Anyone know why they were stored for so long there and the old ballast wagons and ploughs at Northwall. I'm assuming the cutter's torch is in due course for them now. Hope the IRM team got a good look at them while they were in situ.😬

Edited by Railer
  • Like 1

Word is that the wagons were moved as the Heuston Guinness sidings are to be lifted to make way for a new CTC building. Apparently 079 had to return to Inchicore before it could complete the move to be fitted with a coupling adaptor as it could not couple up to the barrier flat wagon with the 4 oil tanks.

On 6/26/2018 at 2:59 PM, Railer said:

Word is that the wagons were moved as the Heuston Guinness sidings are to be lifted to make way for a new CTC building. Apparently 079 had to return to Inchicore before it could complete the move to be fitted with a coupling adaptor as it could not couple up to the barrier flat wagon with the 4 oil tanks.

079 obviously had the kadee’s fitted, whilst the 20’ flat had an old dapol tension lock on it! 😛

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

To me the biggest suprise was that there was no issues moving the wagons or releasing the brakes after 12 years since they were ever moved. Also why they have yet to be scrapped along with the others in Limerick. It's nice that they kept a few along with an old ballast rake at Northwall. But why go on a mission to scrap all the Mk3s but keep redundant wagons for 12 plus years that have no future, yet the Mk3s could have had a future, even in preservation.

Funny that the wagons were taken but the TPO 4 wheel van was left in place, possibly the van will be scrapped?

Edited by Railer
  • Angry 1

Couplings were not the issue. They were missing another piece that was presumed to be with the wagons (basically a vacuum gauge for the rear of the train).

Van is of interest to more than one party

The Mark 3s went to tender for sale.

No-one was interested at the time. Worth more as scrap and spares, plus took up a lot more room than a rake of old wagons

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

10 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Where were those types of tankers used mostly, and within which exact period?

Off hand,

From the 1970's to mid 2000s around 2005? In the 70s and 80s a tractor would haul a rake of oil wagons down the tramway of Alexandra Road to Northwall crossing ramps for locos to collect.

Used from Alexandra Road to Connolly shed, and Heuston. There was also a Alexandra Road to Sligo Quay oil liner. The Connolly and Heuston trips typically had a brake van at one end attached right up until the fuel oil flows stopped. The Sligo oil liner had a 20ft barrier wagon at each end. 

Sure they are many more but its all I know details of. 

I'm sure there were Drogheda, Limerick and Cork links too.

Edited by Railer

Here are a couple of the tractor + wagons

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5739249197/in/album-72157626638886303/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5739249427/in/album-72157626638886303/

The day I video'd these a 141 had gone on the far end of the rake and gave them a nudge to get them started!

Saw tanks at Tralee and Waterford as well

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:44 PM, jhb171achill said:

Where were those types of tankers used mostly, and within which exact period?

jhb-I worked those oil wagons as part of liner trains to the West going back 12-15 years ago, they were used for delivering diesel to Claremorris, Ballina and Westport depots,

The single oil wagons for Claremorris and Westport were for fuelling Locomotives and gen vans ,while the one for Ballina was shunted to the rear of the Bus Eireann garage and unloaded into two tanks for fuelling the Ballina based Bus Eireann fleet. 

They were restricted to a maximum speed of 35 mph.

• Informative 3

• 3 years later...
13 hours ago, murphaph said:

Did the oil transfer train ever make regular trips to Inchicore Works? Were/are locos fuelled at Inchicore or more at Heuston?

I believe that nowadays refueling is done in both Inchicore and Heuston and Connolly. For a period in May 2021, I noticed that when a 201+MK4 would come into Cork, before the 201 and MK4 would head back to Dublin, the loco and MK4 set would need refueling at Cork. I believe this was due to the refueling points at Heuston undergoing repair.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, murphaph said:

Did the oil transfer train ever make regular trips to Inchicore Works? Were/are locos fuelled at Inchicore or more at Heuston?

The Oil transfers originally operated from the CIE Alexandra Road depot to Inchacore Works, re-fueling facilities were installed at Heuston during the post 2000 upgrade of the station.

Texaco/Caltex loose coupled Class A Tank wagons (silver drum red solebars) introduced in the early 60s were used on the train until replaced with CIE vacuum braked stores wagons during the late 70s

The Texaco wagons were similar to the Bachmann 14T Anchor mounted tank wagon https://www.bachmann.co.uk/product/14t-class-a-anchor-mounted-tank-wagon-'national-benzole'-silver/38-778.

The wagons were re-lettered as Texaco following a change of branding, but the original livery with the CALTEX lettering became visible as the paintwork faded in later years and interesting modelling challenge.

1878133216_TexacoTankWagon.thumb.jpg.a19bc11c8f8e9d867fbd25569ce31e27.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

That second picture is surely in the Dardenelles siding in the mid 90's. . There was the remains of a six wheel brake there as well?

Hgricer will reveal all, I'm sure!

I'm pretty sure they're was a similiar tank in the loading banks, around 601 in Inchicore, around the same time. I must try and find those photos.

That's interesting about the refuelling moving to Heuston in 2000 only. Prior to that did locos head to Inchicore between turns?

Did the fuel oil tankers have those Alexandra road to Heuston markings prior to the refuelling moving to Heuston or did they say Alexandra road to Inchicore works or something else entirely?

A couple of pictures of the fuel oil train from the Alexander Road depot at the oil siding at Inchicore

007 on 5th March 1990, note the health & safety conscious guard has lit the stove in his van next the engine!

181 on 1st July 1992 with the fuel tanks behind the loco, by this time the guards van ceased to be used, the guard travelled in the  loco cab.

inchicore 440.jpg

inchicore 556.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative 2

Super pics! Does anyone know how often the train ran? I'm guessing fairly frequently if Inchicore was refuelling all the locos departing out of Heuston. Or did they fill those large tanks in batches?

I've just figured out that the building behind the A is not on Irish Rail property but facing onto Jamestown Road and that my late father used to buy stuff off the place that was in there. 

Edited by murphaph
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, murphaph said:

Super pics! Does anyone know how often the train ran? I'm guessing fairly frequently if Inchicore was refuelling all the locos departing out of Heuston. Or did they fill those large tanks in batches?

I've just figured out that the building behind the A is not on Irish Rail property but facing onto Jamestown Road and that my late father used to buy stuff off the place that was in there. 

Hi Murph, the oil train ran daily from Inchicore to the north wall. The Inchicore shunters would take turns at doing guard duty on the oil train, some of the shunters who I knew at the time, said it was a handy number.

Also the big storage tanks seen in the photographs were used to supply the bus depots in Dublin as well. I remember the road oil tankers would do numerous runs from the works, to the depots every day. Yes the buildings you refer to facing onto Jamestown road was some kind of private metal / steel fabrication company. But at one stage it must have been C.I.E property, because you could still see the old railway line that ran in that direction. there was also an old level crossing gate there too.

Paul....

• Like 2
  • Informative 3

Great info Paul. Yeah I think CIE owned right up to Jamestown Road at one stage. The boundaries of the properties strongly suggest that anyway, as do some tracks leading into those properties. But I think CIE probably sold the land and then those buildings were built by the new owners as they don't really align with the tracks if you get me.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm thinking of modelling about half the depth of the running shed and the to wheel lathe building (using some artistic licence to bring the latter somewhat closer to the mainline). Dropping Portarlington from my plans and including the works would bring a whole new dimension to my layout, with urban grime galore and the excuse to haul DARTs should they ever appear in RTR format 😉

There's also at least one pic of a Hunslet parked in front of the wheel lathe with a solitary NIR MK2 coach. The daily oil train working gives the excuse to run a brake van in the 90's too so that's particularly good info! Lots of modelling possibilities. Lots of light engine workings as locos shuffle back and forth between Heuston (which would be off scene) and the works.

Does anyone know where exactly the refuelling was done? Was it inside the running shed?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Great info Paul. Yeah I think CIE owned right up to Jamestown Road at one stage. The boundaries of the properties strongly suggest that anyway, as do some tracks leading into those properties. But I think CIE probably sold the land and then those buildings were built by the new owners as they don't really align with the tracks if you get me.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm thinking of modelling about half the depth of the running shed and the to wheel lathe building (using some artistic licence to bring the latter somewhat closer to the mainline). Dropping Portarlington from my plans and including the works would bring a whole new dimension to my layout, with urban grime galore and the excuse to haul DARTs should they ever appear in RTR format 😉

There's also at least one pic of a Hunslet parked in front of the wheel lathe with a solitary NIR MK2 coach. The daily oil train working gives the excuse to run a brake van in the 90's too so that's particularly good info! Lots of modelling possibilities. Lots of light engine workings as locos shuffle back and forth between Heuston (which would be off scene) and the works.

Does anyone know where exactly the refuelling was done? Was it inside the running shed?

Hi Murph, yeah it was done just inside the shed on arrival from Heuston direction. The loco would be shut down for the refuelling process, when complete, the loco would be started up ( the best part, as nothing beats the sound of an  071 class or the growl of an A class starting up) then moved up the shop for running maintenance.

Paul....

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Great information again Paul. Did they enter from the Heuston side and exit from the country side and then head to the long siding beside the running shed to wait their next turn of duty in Heuston?

Did they ever refuel or do running repairs on Connolly locos or was that all done over in the Connolly loco shed only?

Edited by murphaph

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

Great information again Paul. Did they enter from the Heuston side and exit from the country side and then head to the long siding beside the running shed to wait their next turn of duty in Heuston?

Did they ever refuel or do running repairs on Connolly locos or was that all done over in the Connolly loco shed only?

Apologies for the late reply murphaph, yes indeed they entered from Heuston end ( Dublin end) then exited from the Cork end. Then on to the long siding, exactly as you said. I think they did repair Connolly based locos sometimes, when they had no room in the much smaller Connolly shed. I worked in Connolly shed for a short period , and it was a very busy running shed. A lot of C class locos  were maintained in Connolly shed at the time too. About the fueling, I honestly cant remember if they did or not.

Paul......

On 9/7/2018 at 8:45 PM, jhb171achill said:

Odd question perhaps - but do you have a photo of the tanks / storage facilities at Ballina for the buses?

jhb…they were removed a number of years ago…

Here is a photo of an oil tank transfer I worked from Athlone to Ballina back in 2003 which was hauled by NIR locomotive 112. 
The locomotive ran around the wagon and propelled it to the storage facility shortly after the photo was taken. 

069AFF30-B347-4CFC-A454-7A929E24E4B8.jpeg

9849B8A1-7574-4161-A887-CA83BFF3A2EC.jpeg

• Like 4
  • WOW! 1