Rate this topic

Posted (edited)

The 4 oil wagons stored at the former Heuston good yard were moved to Inchicore yesterday. Anyone know why they were stored for so long there and the old ballast wagons and ploughs at Northwall. I'm assuming the cutter's torch is in due course for them now. Hope the IRM team got a good look at them while they were in situ.😬

Edited by Railer

Word is that the wagons were moved as the Heuston Guinness sidings are to be lifted to make way for a new CTC building. Apparently 079 had to return to Inchicore before it could complete the move to be fitted with a coupling adaptor as it could not couple up to the barrier flat wagon with the 4 oil tanks.

On 6/26/2018 at 2:59 PM, Railer said:

Word is that the wagons were moved as the Heuston Guinness sidings are to be lifted to make way for a new CTC building. Apparently 079 had to return to Inchicore before it could complete the move to be fitted with a coupling adaptor as it could not couple up to the barrier flat wagon with the 4 oil tanks.

079 obviously had the kadee’s fitted, whilst the 20’ flat had an old dapol tension lock on it! 😛

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Posted (edited)

To me the biggest suprise was that there was no issues moving the wagons or releasing the brakes after 12 years since they were ever moved. Also why they have yet to be scrapped along with the others in Limerick. It's nice that they kept a few along with an old ballast rake at Northwall. But why go on a mission to scrap all the Mk3s but keep redundant wagons for 12 plus years that have no future, yet the Mk3s could have had a future, even in preservation.

Funny that the wagons were taken but the TPO 4 wheel van was left in place, possibly the van will be scrapped?

Edited by Railer

Posted (edited)

Railer,

My guess is they scrapped all the useful stuff(locos, mk3s, bogie flats) to make Irish operations unattractive to private enterprise.  

Edited by David

Couplings were not the issue. They were missing another piece that was presumed to be with the wagons (basically a vacuum gauge for the rear of the train).

Van is of interest to more than one party

The Mark 3s went to tender for sale.

No-one was interested at the time. Worth more as scrap and spares, plus took up a lot more room than a rake of old wagons

• Thanks 1

No doubt 4mm scale versions are in the pipeline (see what I did there) at IRM for the future.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Railer said:

No doubt 4mm scale versions are in the pipeline (see what I did there) at IRM for the future.

Now, you are just fuelling speculation.

• Funny 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Where were those types of tankers used mostly, and within which exact period?

Off hand,

From the 1970's to mid 2000s around 2005? In the 70s and 80s a tractor would haul a rake of oil wagons down the tramway of Alexandra Road to Northwall crossing ramps for locos to collect.

Used from Alexandra Road to Connolly shed, and Heuston. There was also a Alexandra Road to Sligo Quay oil liner. The Connolly and Heuston trips typically had a brake van at one end attached right up until the fuel oil flows stopped. The Sligo oil liner had a 20ft barrier wagon at each end. 

Sure they are many more but its all I know details of. 

I'm sure there were Drogheda, Limerick and Cork links too.

Edited by Railer

Posted (edited)

Here are a couple of the tractor + wagons

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5739249197/in/album-72157626638886303/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5739249427/in/album-72157626638886303/

The day I video'd these a 141 had gone on the far end of the rake and gave them a nudge to get them started!

Saw tanks at Tralee and Waterford as well

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:44 PM, jhb171achill said:

Where were those types of tankers used mostly, and within which exact period?

jhb-I worked those oil wagons as part of liner trains to the West going back 12-15 years ago, they were used for delivering diesel to Claremorris, Ballina and Westport depots,

The single oil wagons for Claremorris and Westport were for fuelling Locomotives and gen vans ,while the one for Ballina was shunted to the rear of the Bus Eireann garage and unloaded into two tanks for fuelling the Ballina based Bus Eireann fleet. 

They were restricted to a maximum speed of 35 mph.

• Informative 1

Odd question perhaps - but do you have a photo of the tanks / storage facilities at Ballina for the buses?