JM Design CIE 20T Goods Brake Livery variations

Rate this topic

Mayner

We achieved a milestone today with the first batch of Brake Vans primed and ready for painting and final assembly.

Its planned to release the vans in 3 livery variations and we welcome feedback on prospective customer preferences.

Link to our survey on https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7596LJW

532266627_23543CIE20TSnailLogore-sized.jpg.028c81125e79d40a1826b3654298b83e.jpg

1. 23543  Dark Grey snail logo stencil lettering 1950s onwards

1292694449_23580CIE20TGoodsBrakeGreyre-sized.jpg.eec922a3dbfb5f7d7fa61dd859fc8603.jpg

2. 23580 CIE wheel logo post 1963 light grey with warning stripes

232360449_23585CIE20TGoodsBrakeRedOxidere-sized.jpg.637c0d130ba13b132336a4ece1cd4fe9.jpg

3. 23583  CIE wheel logo post 1970? red oxide with warning stripes.

The colours are approximate.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 8
  • WOW! 3

I'm tempted to say 2 of each but I forgot what you said the price point was so I'll say at least one of each. Maybe an extra grey.

Thinking logically about this for anyone who is purchasing any black A class or earlier the greys are a must, anything with a hint of 'orange', the red oxide and maybe the grey with roundel for that matter

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

The purpose of this post and survey is to establish the potential level of demand for each 'era"/style. 

The responses to the survey and this post  indicate that there is a similar level of interest in the 1950s & 1970s version of the model (neck & neck) with the 1960s version trailing slightly (2 lengths) behind.

Its possible that demand is fairly evenly split between "collector's" who want one of each type and between steam/transition era modellers who may have a OO Works J15 or ordered a Crossley A Class and post 1970s modellers who may have black and tan and Supertrain diesels.

Thanks for your feedback and support.

• Like 5

To help my pal John out, even the Ivory-liveried Cement Bubbles ran with a brake van - NOT John's one, but one of the steel ones - but at a distance........

This one has a Wheel and stripey lookout, so his Version 2 is nearest. Maybe I need two? (that is V1 and V2)?

TG12.thumb.jpg.d49ef41b91d26fffdb023d239330dd4d.jpg

B163 on  Cement train at Connolly on Sunday 29 September 1968 when Lance King was in Ireland for an IRRS Special to Kilkenny using the RPSI's No.186

Copyright IRRS Lance King Collection

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

To help my pal John out, even the Ivory-liveried Cement Bubbles ran with a brake van - NOT John's one, but one of the steel ones - but at a distance........

This one has a Wheel and stripey lookout, so his Version 2 is nearest. Maybe I need two? (that is V1 and V2)?

B163 on  Cement train at Connolly on Sunday 29 September 1968 when Lance King was in Ireland for an IRRS Special to Kilkenny using the RPSI's No.186

Those Bubbles look very light. Were they actually dark grey, or were they just painted in primer?

I'm almost sure I saw DiveController ask a similar question in another thread.

Sorry for going OT.

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Those Bubbles look very light. Were they actually dark grey, or were they just painted in primer?

I'm almost sure I saw DiveController ask a similar question in another thread.

Sorry for going OT.

No, they're standard (darker) wagon grey, but covered in a patina of cement dust. Same colour as the brake van - BUT - the sun is shining on them and that also makes them look a bit lighter.

Up close, they did not look that light at all. Very soon after, they started painting the bodies orange, though the chassis would remain grey for another generation until they started painting the "bubble" bit cream - and THEN they painted the chassis black - a rare thing!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Looks like a brake van at each end to simplify reversing a Drogheda-Cabra or possibly Cork bulk cement train at the Boston Yard.

Bulk Cement trains ran to the Boston Yard to change direction on weekends & public holidays when Church Rd cabin and the North Wall Yards were closed.

CIE unions quickly agreed to guards riding on the loco on Liner Trains, it would not have been too pleasant being bumped around at 50mph in a 4w van in a cloud of cement dust. The 30T vans were all steel construction without insulation or sound deadening, the older 20T vans would have been quieter and better insulated with timber internal lining.

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Very! Pity about the yokes either side of it! 😉

They're classics at thsi stage!!!

7 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Unfortunately us collectors have to have them in their boxes
#9 came individually boxed and in the  Hornby Irish Freight set

861948386_2009-04-1614_22_52.jpg.422a4a1421295a2d1b5e25bc36b70aa5.jpg

#99 came in the original Hornby R792 CIE Local Goods set

781783500_2014-02-0713_30_12.thumb.jpg.9264d414d2ba49a1b7d7d6a6bb105185.jpg

YOU TOOK NO. 9 OUT OF THE BOX FOR THE PHOTO!!!!!

That can't be undone!

Mine has never been run, only out of the box to be seen.

Sadly, my R792 was a gift when I was three or four years old, so the packaging only survived fifteen or twenty years, and the train itself did a lot of mileage.

Of the set, only no. 99 and the Shell tank wagon survived the fire back in 2015 that destroyed a lot of stuff, and she doesn't run so well since.

2021-10-10 09.42.36.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, johnfromoz said:

Hi JM,

As a Tasmania based CIE modeller, Idithered around and missed your last batch of brake vans, now sold out I see.  Just wondering if you are considering another run of these. If so I am up for both grey and oxide versions?

John

Amen, by the time the website was set up. The version my layout requires (earliest version) was sold out. Understandable if it’s a one time run though.

I am planning to supply the Brake Vans to order in kit form (with transfers) during 2022.

I am unable to provide a potential release date at this stage as production has been disrupted as a result of local Covid restrictions and global 'supply chain' problems since August.

I will provide an update on IRM and the website once the position becomes clearer. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1