IRRS 'Classic Irish Steam' new photo book

Rate this topic

Irishswissernie

It is most likely a good book as flange says, but 60 pages @ STG40.00. Crazy price. That is €47 Euros.

Same as the Aircraft books they have gone up massively in price. I've given up buying these and will looking at getting rid of what I have as the net now caters for much of what I need.

I know it gets cash etc for the IRRS etc...

My Lough Swilly book due out later this month has 60 photos with over 50 unpublished in a 64 page book

Published by Donegal Railway Heritage Centre all profits go towards preservation especially Drumboe. Cost is 11£ or 13 Euros and once it is gone it is gone!

Edited by airfixfan
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

It is most likely a good book as flange says, but 60 pages @ STG40.00. Crazy price. That is €47 Euros.

I received my copy, it may sound crazy but I would actually pay €50euro for this book, it's a hard back high quality publication, the photos are probably the best reproduced steam photos I've ever seen in a book and I've purchased a lot of books in my time, the reproduction quality is just outstanding, the restoration of some of the older photos particularly the John Macartney Robbins photos is just incredible, the guy is dead nearly 70 years and in a strange irony his photos are coming back to life, like all books you get what you pay for, I can see this book being flogged on eBay for crazy price, a diesel book is in the pipeline with similar quality I hear, I can't wait.

Regards

hg

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

My dad has one on the way which he’s promised to pass on. IRRS photo archive is outstanding. A J Powell images recently uploaded include a wonderful shot at Drumshanbo depicting the lady of the house chatting to the loco crew whilst the loco injector is being used to fill a bath tub for her children! 

• Like 2

There are many books published over the years with a plethora of middle of the road pictures of steam in Ireland they are great because of the rarity of the content with the odd gem in amongst the pictures , this book contains gems of the highest calibure on every page so if you think its too expensive then don't buy it , but if you do buy it you won't be disappointed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Anyone able to give an unbiased opinion on the quality of the associated captioning?

As erudite gricers of the steam era pass as the steam era itself has done, younger railway enthusiasts need a better understanding to appreciate the worth of the work. A photo may only be as good as the readers understanding of what is in the photo.

• Like 1

Hi Kevin I can't give you an unbiased opinion (being on the IRRS London committee), but a friend who really knows his stuff commented on the quality of the captions.

Ciaran really puts an effort in - to research the subjects of the photographs he is restoring - you won't be disappointed.

His talk the other week, based around Leslie Hyland's photos was a classic of brilliant photos, described in depth.

• Like 2

On 17/10/2021 at 10:41 PM, DiveController said:

Anyone able to give an unbiased opinion on the quality of the associated captioning?

As erudite gricers of the steam era pass as the steam era itself has done, younger railway enthusiasts need a better understanding to appreciate the worth of the work. A photo may only be as good as the readers understanding of what is in the photo.

A very good and valid point indeed, and vital for future enthusiast generations. While I have yet to see this volume myself, I doubt if it would disappoint on this issue! It is pricey, but as Leslie says, those who WOULD be in a position to know their onions have been well impressed so far.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2021 at 3:40 PM, airfixfan said:

My Lough Swilly book due out later this month has 60 photos with over 50 unpublished in a 64 page book

Published by Donegal Railway Heritage Centre all profits go towards preservation especially Drumboe. Cost is 11£ or 13 Euros and once it is gone it is gone!

hope you advertise it here for sale

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

How any others, like me, were too slow at getting round to it and have found that it is sold out? When I asked about the possibility of a reprint, the answer came back that the minimum number was 100. So, if you missed out and still want a copy, get in touch with membership@irrs.ie and get the numbers up, please.

Stephen

2 hours ago, StevieB said:

How any others, like me, were too slow at getting round to it and have found that it is sold out? When I asked about the possibility of a reprint, the answer came back that the minimum number was 100. So, if you missed out and still want a copy, get in touch with membership@irrs.ie and get the numbers up, please.

Stephen

Aaaarrrrggghh me too. I was waiting for Santa Claus….

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2021 at 6:21 AM, jhb171achill said:

Aaaarrrrggghh me too. I was waiting for Santa Claus….

🎀Its time to email Santa Claus🎀.

Alan Hyland from IRRS emailed me yesterday to say that they have acquired additional stock of the book so don't say you all have not been given another bite of the Christmas pudding... @StevieB

membership@irrs.ie

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...