Cultra Model Railway Day

Rate this topic

airfixfan

4 hours ago, airfixfan said:

November 12th wonder who from this  forum plans to attend with layouts and/or trade stands in 3 weeks time?

About 30 layouts attend included amongst the Irish layouts will be Tony Raggs 'Octavia Hill' layout depicting the Great Northern Railway Clones and Portadown depots, 'Fenaghy Junction' from the Northern Counties group, and a working Lego model of Lisburn train station.

No trade stand at Cultra .

But Many trade stands attend Cooke MRC Railway and model Vehicle Fair in Belfast 19th November 2022.

I was last visit last June and lots of trains most British modelling but few Irish stock.

https://allevents.in/belfast/cooke-mrc-railway-and-model-vehicle-fair/200023006725915

• Like 2

Fintonagh, my Clogher Valley Railway layout is making the long trek over, via Cairnryan - Belfast ferry.

7mm scale/21mm gauge, with its own thread on this forum. Hopefully going to be in front of Phoenix, or CVR railcar 1 (Donegal 10). 

Very much looking forward to meeting folk from this forum, so please say hello if you are attending.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Will always be one of my favourite museums. The railway hall is just fabulous, whether it be the Queen, the C&L 4-4-0, horse tram or any number of exhibits. This time, it will be Donegal Railcar 10, or more properly CVR No1, where Fintonagh will be.

Before that, the small matter of gales on the crossing tomorrow morning!

• Like 1

We are very fortunate- it was built in one of the more enlightened epochs of museum architecture! The main Ulster Museum in central Belfast was extended in the late 60s and is an absolute carbuncle. The transport galleries are a great facility and a vast improvement on their predecessor, which has now reverted to its previous role as a factory! The hilly site is not ideal for a working railway, but a 3’ gauge line round the Folk Museum part would have been nice…..

Safe travels, David. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

We are very fortunate- it was built in one of the more enlightened epochs of museum architecture! The main Ulster Museum in central Belfast was extended in the late 60s and is an absolute carbuncle. The transport galleries are a great facility and a vast improvement on their predecessor, which has now reverted to its previous role as a factory! The hilly site is not ideal for a working railway, but a 3’ gauge line round the Folk Museum part would have been nice…..

Safe travels, David. 

There used to be exactly that, a short narrow gauge line from the lower transport gallery up to what is now the site of the rail gallery.  Few photos of this exist and I'm not sure it ran for long.  A few disfigured stretches of rail can still be found among the hedges if you know where to look......

Still gutted to be missing the exhibition - wishing everyone safe travels to and from Cultra and I hope the day is a huge success for all involved.

An absolute pleasure to see so many familiar faces today, and others I know on here but haven't met - like J-Lo Arts and David Holman. It was an absolute privilege to see Fintonagh in the flesh for the forst time - it's just as stunning as the pictures suggest - SO much going on in such a small space, and as always with Mr. Holman, the scenic setting and immaculate attentiuon to detail is really exceptional. Fenaghy is another favourite of mine; the UTA in such excellent and accurate detail is a much-neglected subject, especially the erstwhile NCC section of it. Superb stuff all round, and an enjoyable day meeting so many people I hadn't met before, or haven't seen in years. As a result, I arrived back in Dublin at 17:30, not 15:30 as I had intended (and needed!) to.....

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1