CIE locomotive livery variations 1960-1990

Rate this question

jhb171achill

Question

PART 1 (of 2)

We're all well aware of the changeover from green to black'n'tan in the early '60s. But it wasn't a case of everything being green one day, and repainted uniformly the following Monday morning! In these days of carefully managed corporate images, there is greater uniformity - and to companies who value a strong corporate branding, this is a good thing. But for an enthusiast and modeller, the 1955-75 period was one of variety, albeit beneath the blanket of the black'n'tan!

I will dig out details as I get the chance of variations in different locos, for example there was at least one 121 which received a red buffer beam during the short-lived greay and yellow era for these engines. The grey and yellow was largely gone within six years or so of delivery, with the class all receiving the standard black'n'tan.

G and E class locos carried both black with white bands at the top, and same with tan at the bottom. Generally, a black loco had CIE roundels on the sides, while a b'n't loco did not. On E class locos, the orange was "full height", i.e. matching the levels up to below-window-level on carriages, or thereabouts. On G class locos the tan was a strip about a foot high from platform level. Both "full height" and "lower strip" tan bands were to be seen on A and C class locos at various times; you will know what I mean if I refer to these variations as "high" and "low" tan sides.

Newly delivered 141s did not have a CIE roundel below the number on the sides, though these were added with later repaints, whereas 181s had them from the outset.

Some C class locos, while black, had yellow ends; on these the loco number was in black. I do not have the details of which locos had which variations and when, but I may be able to dig this out in which case I will post it.

A class locomotives had a tale to be told. This was the subject of an article in the August 1969 Irish Railfan's News, the following being a summary which would be invaluable for those modelling these locomotives in a 1960s setting.

There were sixty of these engines - the largest class of any Irish locomotive bar the GSWR 101s - built in 1955. They were delivered in all over silver, bogies and all, with "flying snails" and numerals in light green, and red buffer beams. This livery had extremely poor durability - probably worse than any other finish any rail vehicle has ever been in! A realistic approach to modelling this would be to look at photos of locos in this livery in traffic - they were a filthy grey in use, and the story got worse by degrees! Not surprisingly, CIE did not perpetuate this more than 5 years or so, with the lighter green as seen on the Dublin RPSI coaches taking over shortly, though not before A46 appeared in the older dark green, with light green line along the middle (as on DCDR's coach 3223 at present) in May 1958.

From here, the story became complicated.

Following A46's debut in dark green, A36 appeared in the then new lighter green, but without the lighter waistband. However, despite the lighter green being the new "post-silver" livery, the following emerged over the next few months in the dark green with waistband: A10, 11, 15, 24, 25, 34, 45, 51, 54, 57, 59 & 60. So by late 1959, one lloco is in light green, 13 in dark green, and the rest in varying stages of the fifty million shades of silvery grey!

From 1960 the lighter version began to appear on all locomotives on a wide scale. A46 itself received this late in the year. No other loco started in dark green and was repainted light green - others went from silver to one form of green, then to black'n'tan or black. By the end of 1961 and locomotives still in silver were really in a deplorable state, in many cases the numerals being barely legible as they seemed to have tendency to wear off.

In September 1961 A6 appeared in an experimental livery described at the time as "black, golden brown and white". The IRN and the IRRS journals of the day doggedly stuck to this description of the light tan, which was in reality a browny-tinted orange. The loco had "high" tan sides. During 1962/3 this livery spread, though after the first few locos were thus treated the white strip above window level became narrower - the more familiar width perpetuated right through to the 1990s on Cravens.

However, in 1962 A16 appeared in traffic in newly painted silver!

By 1963/4, the story was:

Black'n'tan: 1-3, 5-8, 12, 14, 15, 17, 20, 22-4, 27, 31, 36, 37, 39, 40, 47, 48, 50, 52, 56 & 58. The tan was "high" level - same as on carriages. Trains thus formed had a very uniform look.

Dark Green with waist level lighter green line: 10, 11, 25, 34, 45, 51, 54, 57, 59 & 60.

Plain Light Green, no line; OR silver (a few; not sure which): 4, 9, 13, 16*, 18, 19, 21, 26, 28-30, 32, 33, 35, 38, 41-44, 46, 49, 53, 55. (* 1962 painted silver)

As if that wasn't complicated enough, A30 appeared in plain black in early 1964, as seen nowadays on Downpatrick's A39, but with orange buffer beams. Livery detail for modellers here: apart from a few rare one-offs, the general rule is that if there is tan at all, the upper white line continues right round the body sides, whereas if the loco is otherwise all black, the white bits are ONLY on the ends. An exception was the G class: white all round the top of the cab (though black roof, of course) irrespective of whether the loco had tan or not. Also, tan locos had no "broken wheel" on the sides, whereas black ones did in later days, but (as on DCDR's A39 now, and A30 as described above) did. A49 and A55 followed suit, but no other locos were thus treated. The orange buffer beams did not last long, soon being repainted red; otherwise the black livery remained the same.

By 1968 most of the class were repainted in this black livery, though the central side numeral gave way to numerals in the more familiar position on each end of the lower body side, with a "broken wheel" where the number had previously been. But A54 was still a dishevelled dark green (and temporarily out of use) and 1, 15, 22, 37, and 52 were black and "high" tan. A16 had a unique variation; having been b'n't, her sides had been painted black for her appearance in a film "Darling Lili", but her ends were b'n't... for a while!

In June 1968, A52 received the rectangular yellow patch on the front that was to become a short-lived feature on a few locos on the A and C classes, and the B113/4 pair. The loco number was painted on this in black, but the livery was otherwise unchanged. However, A15 was repainted after it, in the standard all-black.

By late 1969, A22, 37, 58R* and 59R* were black'n'tan. All others were black and white, with the following having received yellow ends: A4, 12, 13, 20, 24, 31, 34, 50, 52 & 55.

* The "R" following the number indicated that the loco had had its original Crossley engine replaced by a GM one during the re-engining or "transplant" process. Externally no changes were evident, but on re-engined locos the tan changed to the "low" version. This involved the ends remaining the same, but the formerly mid-height tan band on the sides dropping behind the cabside doors to a band (from memory) about 1 foot or 18 inches high... photos indicate this.

By the time the re-engining process was complete, in parallel with a similar process on the C class (whose livery history had been more or less an exact parallel of the above), the new "Supertrain" livery was coming into being.

Below window level, it was the same, but the changes were above this. Carriages had formerly had a white line above the windows, then more black right over the roof, but now the new "a/c" (Mk 2) stock had the same tan as below windows right over the roof and no white line, giving an impression of an all-tan coach with a black band covering window level only. Numerals were on the ends instead of the sides, giving a smooth and streamlined appearance.

The first locomotives to be treated with this new livery were A's, as they were now being used in a new lease of life on main expresses all over the country. Unlike coaches, locos had a number at each end of the bodyside, low down, and one on the ends, above a CIE roundel; loco ends were the only places where the CIE logo was to be seen on the "Supertrain" livery. "A"'s received tan sides, tan roofs and tan ends, with just the mid-bodyside black band, which dipped at the ends, for relief. The white lines were gone - for the time being! Initially the white numerals on the ends had orange shading if on a black background (A class) and later on with a black background when on tan, as seen on 141s once they started being repainted. I don't remember ever seeing shaded numerals on a 121; I think they were plain white from the start, as the shaded ones became with their first repaint.

Numerals on the sides of locos retained their shading.

(ctd)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative 3

Just like I remember the lines out west as a youngster. Clickety clack jointed rail, bouncing stock. Mind you the Park Royals gave a better ride. Interesting 152 in super train livery had the IR points logo (ie during that hybrid CIE to IR long transition period).

On 9/24/2020 at 12:15 AM, K801 said:

Has a C class ever been observed/documented hauling Mk2 a/c stock, even a transfer move of stock?

At the start of 1972 there were 20 C class locomotives still, to some degree, operational. So, while some of these might have been used to shunt members of the Mk IId fleet around Inchicore works, it is most unlikely that any C class hauled these carriages out on the main line. By the time the Mk IId fleet were introduced into traffic, in December 1972, all the C class had been re-engined. The B201 class were, on the other hand, used on service trains composed of Mk IId stock one a regular basis. The attached photo by Barry Carse appeared in the February 2020 edition of the IRRS Journal (V29, No. 201) and shows B231 working the 13:30 Dublin Heuston to Cork train (7 x Mk IId) through Knocklong on 21 April 1973.1432351908_B231atKnocklong.jpg.b6d792929f2f04c4c437e8fdeab27172.jpg

• Like 5

On 9/24/2020 at 11:11 PM, hexagon789 said:

Ballina looked rough in the 1990s based on this footage: 

(See 1 min 45 to 3 mins 05)

Track on the IE network got into a really bad state in the early 1990s due to deferred maintenance and the pounding received from heavy locomotives, temporary speed restrictions were imposed on many lines after a system wide safety audit following the Knockcrockery de-railment.

The Ballina Branch was one of the worst sections of Network and Ennis-Claremorris was closed to provide material for emergency track repair on the branch and other sections of the Midland.

The external auditors were shocked at the state of p.w. on the Midland the 90Lb rails installed by the MGWR & GSR in the 1920s were inadequate for 071 & 201 locos and then current line speeds (60-70mph).

On the positive side the derailment and audits forced politicians to sit up and invest in the railways so that they survived another 20 years rather than wither on the vine as intended under the "Building on Reality" policy.

19 hours ago, Mayner said:

Track on the IE network got into a really bad state in the early 1990s due to deferred maintenance and the pounding received from heavy locomotives, temporary speed restrictions were imposed on many lines after a system wide safety audit following the Knockcrockery de-railment.

The Ballina Branch was one of the worst sections of Network and Ennis-Claremorris was closed to provide material for emergency track repair on the branch and other sections of the Midland.

I seem to recall it was dropped to a 40 limit in the early 1990s presumably because of track condition. I think it was then raised to the present 60 after full relaying?

19 hours ago, Mayner said:

The external auditors were shocked at the state of p.w. on the Midland the 90Lb rails installed by the MGWR & GSR in the 1920s were inadequate for 071 & 201 locos and then current line speeds (60-70mph).

Gordon Bennett(!), I don't know what I was expecting but 1920s vintage is about 30-40 years older than I anticipated!

On 9/25/2020 at 4:43 PM, josefstadt said:

At the start of 1972 there were 20 C class locomotives still, to some degree, operational. So, while some of these might have been used to shunt members of the Mk IId fleet around Inchicore works, it is most unlikely that any C class hauled these carriages out on the main line. By the time the Mk IId fleet were introduced into traffic, in December 1972, all the C class had been re-engined. The B201 class were, on the other hand, used on service trains composed of Mk IId stock one a regular basis. The attached photo by Barry Carse appeared in the February 2020 edition of the IRRS Journal (V29, No. 201) and shows B231 working the 13:30 Dublin Heuston to Cork train (7 x Mk IId) through Knocklong on 21 April 1973.1432351908_B231atKnocklong.jpg.b6d792929f2f04c4c437e8fdeab27172.jpg

Nice shot, I'd rather overlooked the whole C>B conversion still being in progress but it does seem unlikely a 550hp "C class" being entrusted with a frontline 'Supertrain'.

4 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

I seem to recall it was dropped to a 40 limit in the early 1990s presumably because of track condition. I think it was then raised to the present 60 after full relaying?

Gordon Bennett(!), I don't know what I was expecting but 1920s vintage is about 30-40 years older than I anticipated!

Nice shot, I'd rather overlooked the whole C>B conversion still being in progress but it does seem unlikely a 550hp "C class" being entrusted with a frontline 'Supertrain'.

Many of the rails re-covered from the Sligo line re-lay was 84lb with  MGWR 1922 stamped on the web part of an order of Belgian rail ordered to re-lay the system in the early 20s, its possible older C-1900 rail was still in use on the Ballina Branch.

The Waterford-Rosslare line still retains some original GSWR bull head rail dating back to the opening of the line in 1906.

GSR & CIEs basically got by with careful maintenance and patching after the post WW1 renewals, deferred maintenance from the 70s onwards contributed to a backlog of renewals that contributed to the collapsing infrastructure in the early 1990s. Under the Governments Building on Reality programme no further new investment was planned in the railways apart from completing the Cork Line CTC & MK3 rolling stock programme.

Enthusiasts tend to overlook the 1965/66 rebuilding of C233 & 234 with Maybach MD-650 (1200hp) engines, the conversion seems to have been successful with the two Maybach-Metrovicks (which unlike the GM rebuilds regularly worked in multiple with B141/181 Class).

The Maybachs regularly worked Dublin-Limerick via Nenagh passenger trains and Dublin-Limerick freights.

One of my personal disappointments is that CIE did not top and tail Dublin-Limerick and Dublin-Waterford Supertrains with B201s in a similar manner to the BR Edinburgh-Glasgow Intercity or NIR Enterprise as sort of Irish diy IC75 service.

• Informative 1

20 hours ago, Mayner said:

Enthusiasts tend to overlook the 1965/66 rebuilding of C233 & 234 with Maybach MD-650 (1200hp) engines, the conversion seems to have been successful with the two Maybach-Metrovicks (which unlike the GM rebuilds regularly worked in multiple with B141/181 Class).

Perhaps that is the case, but my understanding was the conversion wasn't found to be that reliable with the two locos stood out of traffic for a period while the other "C"s were being converted to "B"s with GM engines.

20 hours ago, Mayner said:

One of my personal disappointments is that CIE did not top and tail Dublin-Limerick and Dublin-Waterford Supertrains with B201s in a similar manner to the BR Edinburgh-Glasgow Intercity or NIR Enterprise as sort of Irish diy IC75 service.

I know CIÉ did consider driving trailers for the MkIID sets on the Limerick and Waterford lines (not sure if they were to be new build or conversions).

Your "IC75" brings up something else I've just recalled and wondered about - both the Park Royal and Cravens were listed as 80mph vehicles (at least they were designed for running at 80) in their official spec when new, yet CIÉ never ran faster than 75 on the Cork Road until the Mk3 stock came in.

Was there a plan to allow 80mph running on the Cork Road in the 1960s when the Cravens were being introduced or was the 80mph design speed more of a 'nominal' figure?

Not directly specifically at yourself Mayner, more a general observation and pondering. 

Edit: perhaps this would be better discussed in the "1960s" thread rather than this one? Perhaps mods could advise/move, thanks

Edited by hexagon789

@jhb171achill In the first post on this thread you state that following A46 being painted in dark green with light green band there were another 12 A class locos (numbers listed) that were painted in this livery. Is this correct or were these other 12 in a slightly different dark green?

Secondly you make no mention of any of the light green locos having a painted waist line. Did any of the light green A class have this eau de nil waist line or was that only on the light green C class?

While looking for examples of above I came across two photos in the book “Irish Traction in colour” by Derek Huntriss. Page 59 shows A46 as modelled by IRM and page 83 shows a very clean A19 in the livery A42 is modelled by IRM, even the black staff snatchers are as prominent.

Only a light weathering required on A42 but in many photos the light green livery looks much lighter green, for example A41 on page 58 of the same book. Was that because it faded alarmingly or was there a third shade of green?

51 minutes ago, TimO said:

@jhb171achill In the first post on this thread you state that following A46 being painted in dark green with light green band there were another 12 A class locos (numbers listed) that were painted in this livery. Is this correct or were these other 12 in a slightly different dark green?

Secondly you make no mention of any of the light green locos having a painted waist line. Did any of the light green A class have this eau de nil waist line or was that only on the light green C class?

While looking for examples of above I came across two photos in the book “Irish Traction in colour” by Derek Huntriss. Page 59 shows A46 as modelled by IRM and page 83 shows a very clean A19 in the livery A42 is modelled by IRM, even the black staff snatchers are as prominent.

Only a light weathering required on A42 but in many photos the light green livery looks much lighter green, for example A41 on page 58 of the same book. Was that because it faded alarmingly or was there a third shade of green?

TimO

OK, good questions; let me clarify.

Various sources had in the past suggested that only two, A46 being one, got the dark green livery. However, it now appears that up to twelve did, plus several C class too.

There were just the two varieties of green. Most were the lighter, same as carriages and railcars. Other shades and variations are the result of different types of (early!) colour film, in much the same way that some photos of carriages in the 1990s appear to show them as a deep reddish tangerine colour, instead of the orange they were.

The eau-de-nil waist line was to be seen on both A and C class locos, as was the absence of it! And, of course, the A's also had an eau-de-nil painted flying snail attached to the side. This was a cut-out metal thing painted that colour, rather than one painted directly on.

So, A class locos in green may be with or without waistlines, just as black ones were concurrently with - and without - yellow ends; and a generation later, in the 1990s, the 141 class might have the reddish dayglo orange panels on the front, or not.

Hope that clarifies.

On 5/1/2013 at 1:45 PM, jhb171achill said:

PART 1 (of 2)

We're all well aware of the changeover from green to black'n'tan in the early '60s. But it wasn't a case of everything being green one day, and repainted uniformly the following Monday morning! In these days of carefully managed corporate images, there is greater uniformity - and to companies who value a strong corporate branding, this is a good thing. But for an enthusiast and modeller, the 1955-75 period was one of variety, albeit beneath the blanket of the black'n'tan!

I will dig out details as I get the chance of variations in different locos, for example there was at least one 121 which received a red buffer beam during the short-lived greay and yellow era for these engines. The grey and yellow was largely gone within six years or so of delivery, with the class all receiving the standard black'n'tan.

G and E class locos carried both black with white bands at the top, and same with tan at the bottom. Generally, a black loco had CIE roundels on the sides, while a b'n't loco did not. On E class locos, the orange was "full height", i.e. matching the levels up to below-window-level on carriages, or thereabouts. On G class locos the tan was a strip about a foot high from platform level. Both "full height" and "lower strip" tan bands were to be seen on A and C class locos at various times; you will know what I mean if I refer to these variations as "high" and "low" tan sides.

Newly delivered 141s did not have a CIE roundel below the number on the sides, though these were added with later repaints, whereas 181s had them from the outset.

Some C class locos, while black, had yellow ends; on these the loco number was in black. I do not have the details of which locos had which variations and when, but I may be able to dig this out in which case I will post it.

A class locomotives had a tale to be told. This was the subject of an article in the August 1969 Irish Railfan's News, the following being a summary which would be invaluable for those modelling these locomotives in a 1960s setting.

There were sixty of these engines - the largest class of any Irish locomotive bar the GSWR 101s - built in 1955. They were delivered in all over silver, bogies and all, with "flying snails" and numerals in light green, and red buffer beams. This livery had extremely poor durability - probably worse than any other finish any rail vehicle has ever been in! A realistic approach to modelling this would be to look at photos of locos in this livery in traffic - they were a filthy grey in use, and the story got worse by degrees! Not surprisingly, CIE did not perpetuate this more than 5 years or so, with the lighter green as seen on the Dublin RPSI coaches taking over shortly, though not before A46 appeared in the older dark green, with light green line along the middle (as on DCDR's coach 3223 at present) in May 1958.

From here, the story became complicated.

Following A46's debut in dark green, A36 appeared in the then new lighter green, but without the lighter waistband. However, despite the lighter green being the new "post-silver" livery, the following emerged over the next few months in the dark green with waistband: A10, 11, 15, 24, 25, 34, 45, 51, 54, 57, 59 & 60. So by late 1959, one lloco is in light green, 13 in dark green, and the rest in varying stages of the fifty million shades of silvery grey!

From 1960 the lighter version began to appear on all locomotives on a wide scale. A46 itself received this late in the year. No other loco started in dark green and was repainted light green - others went from silver to one form of green, then to black'n'tan or black. By the end of 1961 and locomotives still in silver were really in a deplorable state, in many cases the numerals being barely legible as they seemed to have tendency to wear off.

In September 1961 A6 appeared in an experimental livery described at the time as "black, golden brown and white". The IRN and the IRRS journals of the day doggedly stuck to this description of the light tan, which was in reality a browny-tinted orange. The loco had "high" tan sides. During 1962/3 this livery spread, though after the first few locos were thus treated the white strip above window level became narrower - the more familiar width perpetuated right through to the 1990s on Cravens.

However, in 1962 A16 appeared in traffic in newly painted silver!

By 1963/4, the story was:

Black'n'tan: 1-3, 5-8, 12, 14, 15, 17, 20, 22-4, 27, 31, 36, 37, 39, 40, 47, 48, 50, 52, 56 & 58. The tan was "high" level - same as on carriages. Trains thus formed had a very uniform look.

Dark Green with waist level lighter green line: 10, 11, 25, 34, 45, 51, 54, 57, 59 & 60.

Plain Light Green, no line; OR silver (a few; not sure which): 4, 9, 13, 16*, 18, 19, 21, 26, 28-30, 32, 33, 35, 38, 41-44, 46, 49, 53, 55. (* 1962 painted silver)

As if that wasn't complicated enough, A30 appeared in plain black in early 1964, as seen nowadays on Downpatrick's A39, but with orange buffer beams. Livery detail for modellers here: apart from a few rare one-offs, the general rule is that if there is tan at all, the upper white line continues right round the body sides, whereas if the loco is otherwise all black, the white bits are ONLY on the ends. An exception was the G class: white all round the top of the cab (though black roof, of course) irrespective of whether the loco had tan or not. Also, tan locos had no "broken wheel" on the sides, whereas black ones did in later days, but (as on DCDR's A39 now, and A30 as described above) did. A49 and A55 followed suit, but no other locos were thus treated. The orange buffer beams did not last long, soon being repainted red; otherwise the black livery remained the same.

By 1968 most of the class were repainted in this black livery, though the central side numeral gave way to numerals in the more familiar position on each end of the lower body side, with a "broken wheel" where the number had previously been. But A54 was still a dishevelled dark green (and temporarily out of use) and 1, 15, 22, 37, and 52 were black and "high" tan. A16 had a unique variation; having been b'n't, her sides had been painted black for her appearance in a film "Darling Lili", but her ends were b'n't... for a while!

In June 1968, A52 received the rectangular yellow patch on the front that was to become a short-lived feature on a few locos on the A and C classes, and the B113/4 pair. The loco number was painted on this in black, but the livery was otherwise unchanged. However, A15 was repainted after it, in the standard all-black.

By late 1969, A22, 37, 58R* and 59R* were black'n'tan. All others were black and white, with the following having received yellow ends: A4, 12, 13, 20, 24, 31, 34, 50, 52 & 55.

* The "R" following the number indicated that the loco had had its original Crossley engine replaced by a GM one during the re-engining or "transplant" process. Externally no changes were evident, but on re-engined locos the tan changed to the "low" version. This involved the ends remaining the same, but the formerly mid-height tan band on the sides dropping behind the cabside doors to a band (from memory) about 1 foot or 18 inches high... photos indicate this.

By the time the re-engining process was complete, in parallel with a similar process on the C class (whose livery history had been more or less an exact parallel of the above), the new "Supertrain" livery was coming into being.

Below window level, it was the same, but the changes were above this. Carriages had formerly had a white line above the windows, then more black right over the roof, but now the new "a/c" (Mk 2) stock had the same tan as below windows right over the roof and no white line, giving an impression of an all-tan coach with a black band covering window level only. Numerals were on the ends instead of the sides, giving a smooth and streamlined appearance.

The first locomotives to be treated with this new livery were A's, as they were now being used in a new lease of life on main expresses all over the country. Unlike coaches, locos had a number at each end of the bodyside, low down, and one on the ends, above a CIE roundel; loco ends were the only places where the CIE logo was to be seen on the "Supertrain" livery. "A"'s received tan sides, tan roofs and tan ends, with just the mid-bodyside black band, which dipped at the ends, for relief. The white lines were gone - for the time being! Initially the white numerals on the ends had orange shading if on a black background (A class) and later on with a black background when on tan, as seen on 141s once they started being repainted. I don't remember ever seeing shaded numerals on a 121; I think they were plain white from the start, as the shaded ones became with their first repaint.

Numerals on the sides of locos retained their shading.

(ctd)

Jonathan your information above just sold another A class for IRM :) This is a brilliant thread, thank you. A55 in Black. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Noel said:

Jonathan your information above just sold another A class for IRM :) This is a brilliant thread, thank you. A55 in Black. 

For your period of operation, Noel, a green one would fit, so would a black one with and without the yellow patch, PLUS both the "high band" and "low band" black'n'tan liveries!

(Please don't let your wallet hear me saying that, it'll have Multiple Conniptions, screaming fits and the heeby-jeebies........!)

• Funny 1

I’m late to the party here but what a great resource this thread is and kudos to jhb171achill for digging up all this info. 

Quick summary of my situation. I have a project/pipe dream I’ve been dabbling with for the last 20-odd years to make a model of Leyny station on the Burma Road, covering the period from around the time the station closed when regular passenger services ceased on the line in 1963 through to when the line closed completely in October ‘75 (and maybe even the Sulzer-hauled weedsprayers that worked over the line in ‘76 and ‘77). The layout itself is about 70% built but is up in my parents’ place (no room for it in my own 2-bed), though it remains a goal to complete it some fine day. So I’m still collecting relevant locomotives, coaching stock and wagons as and when I can. One thing I definitely need is at least 1 Green A Class. Until recently, I thought I had this box ticked, as I’d bought a RTR Silver Fox A (A1) at an exhibition some time around 2003. Whilst I knew the livery didn’t exactly correspond to any photo I’d seen of the A Class from around that time, I thought it may have been one of the many variants I just hadn’t seen. Reading this incredibly detailed timeline though, I strongly suspect the livery is simply incorrect (let’s leave the fact that the IRM model leaves this in the ha’penny place in the sidings for now!).

As you can see from the photo, it’s a dark green (about as dark as the green on IRM’s model of A46) but has no lining, or flying snails for that matter. Can anybody confirm that even without the seemingly obligatory Silver Fox grey roof, this was never a livery carried by any of the A Class? I won’t be heartbroken if that’s the case, as yesterday I managed to pick up the second last unlined Green A (A42) of the current IRM batch, which is obviously a much better model anyway. If I can get confirmation that this livery is incorrect, I can look to get it repainted in something more accurate, perhaps the all-over black or original black and tan. And then just make sure I never let anybody see it and the IRM one at the same time. 😁

I’ve also been sorely tempted to pick up A30 in Silver but this article confirms it’s really not suitable for my period, as whilst there were a few technically knocking around in the original livery in the early 60s, they were by then in reality a filthy off-white/grey. Though had IRM produced this as A16, given its bizarre repainting into silver in 1964 (was there a H Simpson working in the paint shop that year?), it would have fitted the bill.  

One IRM loco I’m absolutely kicking myself I missed out on was 018 in Supertrain livery. This loco (in that livery too) hauled the last ever northbound goods on the Burma Road, a motley collection of loose-coupled vans and Bell line containers on 20-foot flats with a brake van. If anybody that has one ever gets bored with theirs or decides to model a period for which it’s not suitable, please let me know! Alternatively if anybody with kit making skills that missed out on the MM 141/181's (or needs another small GM) would be interested in a part-ex on an unmade MIR whitemetal kit (perfect condition), again, drop me a PM. 

Any help/comments gratefully received. 

20220910_083745.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome! You should reach out to @WRENNEIRE or Chris Dyer (https://www.chrisdyerfairs.co.uk/), both have sourced out of production items for me in the past, and see if they have 018 still. In my opinion you should get A30 while it's still available and weather it or have it weathered to that filthy bleached state. I wouldn't let any loco slip through my hands if it ran in my time period and was available retail. It will never be released in a weathered state. IRM don't do factory weathering for a good reason. If you don't pick A30 up I suspect you'll be kicking yourself over it later.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Welcome! You should reach out to @WRENNEIRE or Chris Dyer (https://www.chrisdyerfairs.co.uk/), both have sourced out of production items for me in the past, and see if they have 018 still. In my opinion you should get A30 while it's still available and weather it or have it weathered to that filthy bleached state. I wouldn't let any loco slip through my hands if it ran in my time period and was available retail. It will never be released in a weathered state. IRM don't do factory weathering for a good reason. If you don't pick A30 up I suspect you'll be kicking yourself over it later.

Cheers for the heads up of possibility availability from those 2 sources, will follow those up. You're like the devil on my shoulder with A30! It almost seems sacrilege to weather such a beautiful paint job in that manner, though I know authenticity would demand it. Actually you've given me an idea for the SF green liveried A. Given that its livery is almost certainly spurious, it might make more sense for me to repaint that into 'filthy silver' - I'm no Michelangelo in the painting department but even I should be able to make a decent fist of painting in overall silver and then let weathering take care of any flaws. All I'd need then is a few decals to complete. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rob said:

Any pics of it?  Always nice to see layout pics 👍

I'd need to make it presentable first! I'll probably post it over on the layouts thread whenever I do to avoid dragging this thread any further off topic. 

11 hours ago, Northroader said:

If you’re doing silver,paint, mix some of the metallic silver paint 50/50 with a Matt light grey paint. It will look realistic and wear much better when handled.

Will bear that in mind whenever I take the job on. I've seen photos of the silver from the early 60s where you'd actually think the loco had been originally painted white (or maybe light grey) and then got filthy, though that may be due (at least to some degree) to degradation of the film/photo over time. See the below shot as an example. Yes, I know this is a Sulzer but it was the same paint job and if anything the Crossleys would have been even filthier as their leaky engines spewed out much more oil than the Sulzers did. 

CIE 1961-06-06 Birdhill B109 Nenagh-Limerick goods DT25-6.jpg

Edited by Leyny
Added photo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Leyny said:

I'd need to make it presentable first! I'll probably post it over on the layouts thread whenever I do to avoid dragging this thread any further off topic. 

Will bear that in mind whenever I take the job on. I've seen photos of the silver from the early 60s where you'd actually think the loco had been originally painted white (or maybe light grey) and then got filthy, though that may be due (at least to some degree) to degradation of the film/photo over time. See the below shot as an example. Yes, I know this is a Sulzer but it was the same paint job and if anything the Crossleys would have been even filthier as their leaky engines spewed out much more oil than the Sulzers did. 

CIE 1961-06-06 Birdhill B109 Nenagh-Limerick goods DT25-6.jpg

I use Tamiya AS-12 "Bare metal silver" aerosol for painting models in silver scheme.

I found that the Tamiya aerosol resulted in a superior more durable finish compared to attempts with metallic aerosols.

I usually apply the silver on a grey or white car auto primer.

DSCF1346.JPG.fca097deca6eda6e9b3f287bf4294910.JPG

I am not really into weathering!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Mayner said:

I use Tamiya AS-12 "Bare metal silver" aerosol for painting models in silver scheme.

I found that the Tamiya aerosol resulted in a superior more durable finish compared to attempts with metallic aerosols.

I usually apply the silver on a grey or white car auto primer.

I am not really into weathering!

Cheers for the info Mayner. Lovely finish and I get the reluctance to weather such a good job. Some of the IRM A Classes (and MM models to be fair) are so beautiful they're nearly transcending the level of being 'just' models and are nigh on works of art IMO. So on one level weathering them just feels like desecration. However, with the silver models especially, the dilemma is we all know they only looked like that for about a fortnight after they left the works before the Irish weather had its say! 

On 10/9/2022 at 3:32 PM, murphaph said:

Welcome! You should reach out to @WRENNEIRE

Thanks again for this tip Murphaph. Got to meet the gentleman that is WRENNEIRE today and got myself my coveted 018, with a few stablemates to boot! 

I think these IRM A Class should carry some sort of health warning, like cigarettes, warning of their addictiveness. I'm now the proud owner of 3 (018, A23R and A42) which is definitely enough for my small layout. I know I ought to stop there and fill the other gaps on my wanted list. But I'm looking at A30 and A55 like a kid in a sweetshop! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Leyny said:

Thanks again for this tip Murphaph. Got to meet the gentleman that is WRENNEIRE today and got myself my coveted 018, with a few stablemates to boot! 

I think these IRM A Class should carry some sort of health warning, like cigarettes, warning of their addictiveness. I'm now the proud owner of 3 (018, A23R and A42) which is definitely enough for my small layout. I know I ought to stop there and fill the other gaps on my wanted list. But I'm looking at A30 and A55 like a kid in a sweetshop! 

Try Chris Dyer, I got A30 from him, I believe he still has some A’s in stock.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fowler4f said:

Try Chris Dyer, I got A30 from him, I believe he still has some A’s in stock.

As of now, IRM themselves still have about 2 dozen SilverA30's in stock. They're teasing us with promises of rolling stock to match, so I'll have my beady eyes out for that.   

If the 'buy another A' devil on my shoulder gets his way, I'll try Chris. His website suggests he still has a few examples of most of the IRM range, though I can't find contact details for him on it. He'll be at the 3-day show on the October Bank Holiday Weekend with a cartload of his stock anyway. 

• Like 2

Getting back to A Class liveries, I spotted something during the week that could be relevant info to this discussion. In Tom Ferris' 'Irish Railways In Colour - A Second Glance' (1995) there's a photo of a green A Class arriving into Mallow on the Radio Train (copyright Midland Publishing Collection, I've scanned it in here as I can't find it anywhere online). It's dated 10th June 1958. If that date is correct and the original post on this thread is also correct, then it can only be A46. Certainly the last digit is a 6 but I've zoomed in (apologies for the graininess) and I don't think the first digit is a 4 - unfortunately the train's headboard makes it impossible (for me anyway) to be certain what it is. But I reckon that's a 2, making this A26 (or possibly a 3, making it A36). That's not the only thing. It looks to be the darker shade of green but there's clearly no lining on the front, and while it's difficult to be certain with the shine on the side, it doesn't look like there's any on the side either. So, I'm wondering was this a very short lived, perhaps even one-off, experiment in green? If it was, then might that livery my Silver Fox A1 sports actually be authentic after all? 

A Class Radio Train.jpg

A_Class_number.jpg

Edited by Leyny

It is A46, you're quite right; and like many another example of the A, C & B101 classes, the green waist line seemed to vary. Obviously, it isn't on the loco there, but equally obviously it was at another stage, as photos exist (which is what IRM correctly relied on). In 1958, it's been repainted from the awful plain silver (i.e. plain muck!), but the lining hasn't been added yet.

The application or the waistline in the 1958-62 period was a bit like the application of the "dayglo" patches on the front of locomotives of the A, B121 and B141/181 classes in the post-1987 era; some had them, others never did, and others again had them for a while only.

I suspect the example above, as you suggest, was very short-lived indeed.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 3:32 PM, murphaph said:

If you don't pick A30 up I suspect you'll be kicking yourself over it later.

Bruised shins averted murphaph. 😄 Was it ever going to be any other way? Gotta say she's an absolute stunner and as much as I know they only ever looked like this the day they left the Works, the thoughts of weathering that beautiful shiny finish pain me. Here she is in a very carefully selected shot which makes it look my model of Leyny station is a lot nearer completion than it actually is. 

A30.jpg

Edited by Leyny
  • Like 5

On 9/10/2022 at 10:36 AM, Leyny said:

Bruised shins averted murphaph. 😄 Was it ever going to be any other way? Gotta say she's an absolute stunner and as much as I know they only ever looked like this the day they left the Works, the thoughts of weathering that beautiful shiny finish pain me. Here she is in a very carefully selected shot which makes it look my model of Leyny station is a lot nearer completion than it actually is.

A30.jpg

Very nicely finished and weathered trackwork too.

On 10/9/2022 at 3:24 PM, Leyny said:

I’m late to the party here but what a great resource this thread is and kudos to jhb171achill for digging up all this info. 

Quick summary of my situation. I have a project/pipe dream I’ve been dabbling with for the last 20-odd years to make a model of Leyny station on the Burma Road, covering the period from around the time the station closed when regular passenger services ceased on the line in 1963 through to when the line closed completely in October ‘75 (and maybe even the Sulzer-hauled weedsprayers that worked over the line in ‘76 and ‘77). The layout itself is about 70% built but is up in my parents’ place (no room for it in my own 2-bed), though it remains a goal to complete it some fine day. So I’m still collecting relevant locomotives, coaching stock and wagons as and when I can. One thing I definitely need is at least 1 Green A Class. Until recently, I thought I had this box ticked, as I’d bought a RTR Silver Fox A (A1) at an exhibition some time around 2003. Whilst I knew the livery didn’t exactly correspond to any photo I’d seen of the A Class from around that time, I thought it may have been one of the many variants I just hadn’t seen. Reading this incredibly detailed timeline though, I strongly suspect the livery is simply incorrect (let’s leave the fact that the IRM model leaves this in the ha’penny place in the sidings for now!).

As you can see from the photo, it’s a dark green (about as dark as the green on IRM’s model of A46) but has no lining, or flying snails for that matter. Can anybody confirm that even without the seemingly obligatory Silver Fox grey roof, this was never a livery carried by any of the A Class? I won’t be heartbroken if that’s the case, as yesterday I managed to pick up the second last unlined Green A (A42) of the current IRM batch, which is obviously a much better model anyway. If I can get confirmation that this livery is incorrect, I can look to get it repainted in something more accurate, perhaps the all-over black or original black and tan. And then just make sure I never let anybody see it and the IRM one at the same time. 😁

I’ve also been sorely tempted to pick up A30 in Silver but this article confirms it’s really not suitable for my period, as whilst there were a few technically knocking around in the original livery in the early 60s, they were by then in reality a filthy off-white/grey. Though had IRM produced this as A16, given its bizarre repainting into silver in 1964 (was there a H Simpson working in the paint shop that year?), it would have fitted the bill.  

One IRM loco I’m absolutely kicking myself I missed out on was 018 in Supertrain livery. This loco (in that livery too) hauled the last ever northbound goods on the Burma Road, a motley collection of loose-coupled vans and Bell line containers on 20-foot flats with a brake van. If anybody that has one ever gets bored with theirs or decides to model a period for which it’s not suitable, please let me know! Alternatively if anybody with kit making skills that missed out on the MM 141/181's (or needs another small GM) would be interested in a part-ex on an unmade MIR whitemetal kit (perfect condition), again, drop me a PM. 

Any help/comments gratefully received. 

20220910_083745.jpg

Silverfox do indeed seem to default to grey roofs for pretty much everything - CIE never put a grey roof on ANY diesel locomotive or carriage before the Arrow railcars in the 1990s! Another thing they do is to put black lettering on silver diesels - should be light green - SO easy to do properly; and also white lettering on locos like the above (green liveried coaches, railcars and diesels) - this should NEVER be white, always pale green.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Thanks 1

On 25/9/2020 at 4:43 PM, josefstadt said:

Lovely pic and lovely loco.